Running the TAT in a 4x4

x32792

Adventurer
Although I would love to run the trail on my motorcycle, I ride a 250cc bike because I like to keep the weight down for the terrain I ride and it would NOT be a good choice for a trek of that distance. I'm not inclined to purchase a new bigger bike specifically to make the trip, nor do I quite travel light enough to do the route on a bike. My Tacoma, on the other hand, would be at home making the trip.

I think you need two motorcycles or two 4x4s to run the TAT.

On the Eastern portion, which is the easiest section, my vintage and unmolested Jeep was up to the task except for a single 1/4 mile or less patch in AR.

For the Eastern portion, something like a big comfy KLR650 or BMW is the ticket....BUT when you reach Trinidad, CO, (ideally) you should re-fit...

West of Trinidad, you'll need more Jeep than I had and a lighter bike. On the bike side, something like a DRZ400s or new Yamaha WR250R...bigger (and heavier) bikes will beat you up and wear you out the further West you travel on the TAT.

IMHO, the whole TAT is too much to do at one go in a 4x4 or on a bike.

Many have opted to do the TAT in sections (or by States), store their bikes and then re-deploy later to capitalize on the best weather conditions. I was lucky with the weather and think it is unreasonable to assume Mother Nature isn't going to kick your butt somewhere along the 4,400 mile TAT if you try to do the whole thing at one go.

John

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
@Adventurewest: So it´s not possible to cross the USA in a 4x4 offroad then?

Are there only these roadbook scrolls or also GPS Tracks available?

It definitly sounds like a great adventure trip.

Oh, how long does it usually take to drive East to West?

It would be very much impossible to travel from one side of the country to the other without going on a highway or interstate for several portions of the trip.

If you take a googlemaps page to get directions from Eastport Maine to Centerville, CA. (respectively the furthest east and west cities in the USA (that I could see)) then it will take 58 hours of driving time, that is if you go none stop, with no breaks, not even for gas, food, or other human needs. It comes to a total of 5,777 km. or 3,590 miles, and that is, of course, all on paved roadways.

Does that answer your query?

Cheers

Last edited:

x32792

Adventurer
Many Ways Across America, But Only One TAT

It would be very much impossible to travel from one side of the country to the other without going on a highway or interstate for several portions of the trip.

If you take a googlemaps page to get directions from Eastport Maine to Centerville, CA. (respectively the furthest east and west cities in the USA (that I could see)) then it will take 58 hours of driving time, that is if you go none stop, with no breaks, not even for gas, food, or other human needs. It comes to a total of 5,777 km. or 3,590 miles, and that is, of course, all on paved roadways.

Does that answer your query?

Cheers

I am sure there are numerous combinations of back roads across America with no upper limit on how many miles each might require. The TAT (maps and roll charts) as defined and sold by Sam Correro is about 4,400 miles long. His TAT is obviously not the shortest route across America and may not even be the best. The single advantage I can see in using Sam's maps is it does provide a "standardized" experience which can be enjoyed by all who run it.

Upon my return, I was asked if I'd sell my TAT maps by someone who didn't want to buy them from Sam at full price. I declined out of respect for Sam and what he has done. Sam's maps are not perfect, complete or even entirely accurate, but in my mind laboring over them for long hours trying to find the latitudes and longitudes of check points, inputing this data into a GPS system and then struggling in the field with dead ends and work-arounds is all part of the TAT experience. In my case, I enjoyed the additional pleasure of dealing with a deficient navigational system...but hey, it was all good and you use what you got.

John

Last edited:

dzzz

Thanks for the report. I'm a fan of Delorme paper state map books and I think I would enjoy this trip. Has the author done the complete trip? I'm unclear how, in the age of GPS, there could be dead ends and errors.
When exploring with the delorme books, some of the "roads" are driveways or long abandoned impassible trails. That's understandable considering some of the mapping is done from aerial photos.
But I wouldn't expect that problem when paying for a specific route map. Perhaps one or two errors or road changes, sure.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
When exploring with the delorme books, some of the "roads" are driveways or long abandoned impassible trails. That's understandable considering some of the mapping is done from aerial photos.
But I wouldn't expect that problem when paying for a specific route map. Perhaps one or two errors or road changes, sure.

The route is well over 5,000 miles long, consisting of public roads and trails. These are constantly changing -- some are paved now, some have been closed due to land/lease owner agreements (public roads crossing private land), forest fires, land management activities (logging, revegetation, etc), etc., others are simply blocked by down trees, etc.

When I rode the western half of the trail (2008), the maps were pretty good. We (Scott & I) had more trouble with downed trees blocking the trail than anything else. We hit a dead end or two, and one in particular left us in a bit of a 'less than desirable' spot, but really, it wasn't *that* bad. It's not like every turn takes you down a dead end road.

The route really is nicely done. It never leaves you with more than 200 miles between fuel stops, you can get a hotel every night (if you want, and assuming you move 180 - 200 miles per day), each day has some high speed dirt roads, some tough stretches, and some beautiful scenery. You could easily spend hundreds, if not thousands, of hours laying out a similar track. Then you are still in a position that you don't know if the roads you have selected are actually on the ground and open for travel.

Sam has done a heck of a job.

x32792

Adventurer
TAT Closures

Thanks for the report. I'm a fan of Delorme paper state map books and I think I would enjoy this trip. Has the author done the complete trip? I'm unclear how, in the age of GPS, there could be dead ends and errors.

The types of closures I experienced in TN, MS, AK, OK and NM included:

Bridge(s) out due to Public Works (repair and replacement)

Bridge(s) out...washed away and not replaced

Roads in Federal and Public Lands closed for big game hunting (also read large caliber rifles).

And in some cases, roads which just weren't there anymore

Sam's Maps are not perfect, but overall, he has done a remarkable job in providing a "standardized" adventure which we can share and enjoy.

Did I run the whole TAT? No. My run ended at Trinidad, CO. When I reached CO, the high passes were closed due to snow.

For anyone thinking about running the TAT, the weather is a key factor. I didn't experience it, but was advised large parts of OK are impassible when it rains. In NM, I saw high water marks from flash flooding 3-4 feet above the roof of my Jeep. In AR, I was turned back by the National Guard after deadly tornados had passed thru the night before destroying a small town and killing several people. Also in AK was the infamous Warloop Rd. It's only about 6-7 mile long, but on my run, its difficulty was magnified by days of heavy rainfall. When I reached a rock outcropping guarding a very deep, muddy and narrow section on Warloop Rd, I turned back.

It is my understanding the closures beyond CO are mostly due to private land issues, logging, forest fires, rock slides, downed trees, etc.

x32792

Adventurer
Running The TAT

The TAT was created (mapped) by Sam Correro and his father and based on the idea the United States could be crossed on dual sport motorcycles driven entirely on dirt and gravel roads.

While many of the roads and trails on the TAT have long since been paved or improved, it still provides a relatively safe overland adventure for the mildly adventurous.

For a year prior to making my TAT run, I read, studied and corresponded with many people who had made all or part of the trip on two wheels and four. They told me the western portion is more remote than the eastern section and can be dangerous. The western portion contains some single tracts and sections too narrow for even the smallest 4x4 to wiggle thru.

Anyone attempting to run the TAT west of Trinidad, CO should only do so in a well equipped 4x4 off road vehicle and be accompanied by at least one trail buddy in another well equipped 4x4 off road vehicle.

John

Last edited:

lbrito

Broverland Expert
Another one for the list...

John,
Read your trail report, amazing views. This is definitely now making it on my bucket list. Great photography too, really showed the life in these areas.
I particularly enjoyed the fact it was a solo ride, and was biting my nails through reading the sections where there was rain and mud. I've taken a few long trips on my own before (fairly new to all this), and it brought back memories of those feelings of impending doom and confusion when you try to decide whether to move forward down a certain path, or retreat. Great read! Thanks for sharing!
Luis

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
I was directed here as I am looking into doing the TAT in the next year or 2 myself. I am planning on building my Jeep up and already have a good start on it. I got bit by the TAT bug over on JeepForum.com. Unlike yourself, I am planning on using a build rig and will be taking a buddy with me.

I was origionally planning on doing the trail from start to finish all in one shot, but I like your idea and suggestion about doing it in sections. It may take longer to complete, but it will be easier on the wallet in the long run.

I will have to visit that other site when I have more time and reread this one as well, but from my skim, it looks like you had a great time, just wish there were more pictures to see here.

I was gonning to see if I could find anyone that had the maps I could purchase from at a cheaper rate, but like you said, out of respect I quickly threw that idea out along with the thought of older maps not updated, buy new and have the most updated map at the time of the trip.

Thanks again for the write up, cant wait to see what you have on the other site.

x32792

Adventurer
Enjoy :)

drgnhrt1979,

Enjoy your trip...I did.

Sorry about the photos. They were deleted from my ride report when I failed to renew my membership with the website storing them.

My TAT trip out was neither high speed or difficult. The ride back to Florida from Las Vegas was loooong and I was grateful I wasn't highly modified....Just a thought.

Doing the TAT with a buddy is a good idea if you can find someone with the time, money and interest. Even better would be running it with another Jeep.

John

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
drgnhrt1979,

Enjoy your trip...I did.

Sorry about the photos. They were deleted from my ride report when I failed to renew my membership with the website storing them.

My TAT trip out was neither high speed or difficult. The ride back to Florida from Las Vegas was loooong and I was grateful I wasn't highly modified....Just a thought.

Doing the TAT with a buddy is a good idea if you can find someone with the time, money and interest. Even better would be running it with another Jeep.

John

I tend to remain friends with people of like mind and spirit, so the friend of mine and I will be hashing out the logistics together. He and his girlfriend are just as excited about it as I am. anytime I can get away from masses of people and get to where no one can hear you scream, I am right at home, so this will be highly enjoyable for me and give me a chance to bond with the boy at the same time.

I love to drive, so no matter the destination or journey, I enjoy it anytime I can be on or off the road, as long as I am behind the wheel driving

x32792

Adventurer
I've got a question for you. What sections/areas of the TAT are the most fun and most beautiful to run in a 4x4?

For me, the people I met along the way were a big part of my TAT experience.

Tennessee was interesting, Mississippi was uneventful and flat with lots of gravel, Arkansas was an unexpected delight...Especially the western mountainous portion, Oklahoma went on forever and New Mexico marked my entry into the 'real' West.

When I got to the eastern portion of Colorado, there was snow at 10,000 feet, so I can't comment on what I want to believe is a very nice section of the TAT. Western Colorado around Dove Creek was very interesting and what I saw in Utah blew me away.

Note: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

When I got back to central Florida, I sent photos of some of our local wildlife areas here back to the folks in Dove Creek, Colorado. They couldn't believe the thick lust green vegetation, how much water we had and how beautiful everything was. These same folks were almost bored with the red rock formations they'd been looking at all their lives.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
I started to go through you report on ADV, but the pictures seem to be nonexistent now. Is it just me or did the host go down or something?

The TAT has been on my short list for a number of years now. I am definitely interested in a 4x4 traverse.

x32792

Adventurer
I started to go through you report on ADV, but the pictures seem to be nonexistent now. Is it just me or did the host go down or something?

To post multiple pictures on this board you must use a 3rd party storage site (something like SmugMug). When my paid subscription to the 3rd party storage site came up for renewal, I didn't renew....And my pictures were deleted from my report. Sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77