Salvaged Rubicon Unlimited is it worth it? Question

nate914s

I am contemplating purchasing a New Jeep (Toy)however, it has a Salvage title. The owner bought on auction after it had been rolled. Assured me there is no frame/structural or Mechanical problems (they all say that..hahaha) If I purchase I will have it checked by a shop but wanted others thoughts before I waste my time.

Any thoughts on if you think this is good deal or a waste of time?

2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JK Unlimited 4door - $26,500.00 - Salvaged
27000 miles
all power 6 speed manual trans

Says he has over $10,000 in accessories including:

4 1/2 tera flex lift with mid adjustable arms
37 in toyo mud country
L O D front and rear tire carrier bumpers
Warn Winch Power Plant w/built air compressor
high lift jack mounted on hood
river raider rock sliders
bushwackers flat fender flares
Poison spyder evap skid

513 gears

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 4.46.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 4.46.13 PM.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 4.46.33 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 4.46.33 PM.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 4.47.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 4.47.21 PM.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 94

GetOutThere

Adventurer
That price is ridiculous... but I'd love to buy some of his accessories!

Tell him he can keep his aftermarket stuff, and you'll give him $10k less.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
I agree - the price is way too high for a salvage title. Getting it registered, inspected and insured may be problematic, and I doubt anyone will give you a loan for it.

I can see why it is tempting though...

MR.Ty

Observer
He is deff trying to recover the money he spent on mods and get rid of a jeep that has a problem. Pass this up. Another toy will come along.

heehawhardy

Adventurering
I agree with everyone about the price.

Better off finding a salvaged non repaired one, and building it to suit you

haven

Expedition Leader
Not sure where you're located. In California, four door Wranglers of this year and mileage that have not suffered damage are for sale by dealers in the $27-$28000 range. So you're getting the aftermarket stuff included for free. Clearly, vehicles don't roll over without suffering some damage. But it's possible this vehicle originally had some sort of roll cage. If the rollover was at slow speed, it's possible that the damage was cosmetic. Still, the damage must have been extensive to cause an insurance company to total a vehicle that was likely insured for $35K or more.

some states offer a procedure to convert a salvage title to a reconstructed title, which means the rebuilt vehicle has passed state-authorized inspection. That helps prospective buyers feel more confident in the safety of the rebuilt machine

nate914s

Thank you for the reply's. Like a few of you mentioned tempting.... Second Question for those that would contemplate purchasing.

How much do you think the car is worth (granted that it checks out to be mechanically sound)?

Secondary question How much would you actually pay?

dusmw

Salvage title 60% book no adds for accessories! If he traded it for a new vehicle at the dealer those accessories are worth 0!

If you buy it focus only on the vehicles value and pretend the accessories don't exist. If he isn't willing to deal go buy a 2011 and put on your own aftermarket gear.

As the owner of a 07 & a 12 if the 11 is not a manual 6 speed then pay a little more for a 12+ auto. The 3.8 auto is a dog! My 07 JKR is a 6 speed so no issues with power but I wouldn't own it if an auto it is a dog!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I've been watching the price of 6 speed JKUR's very carefully here in Canada.

$24k is expensive.

$18k-$20k is right on.

Occasionally they show up for $16k

-Dan

gregaf3

Observer
I think of it this way. It is a 2011 with the 3.8 (can be fixed with a super charger) but if it is an auto that is hard to fix. Anyways a 2011 is now 3 years old and here next month the 2015's will start production, basically making it 4 years old. With costco, usaa, tread lightly... whatever you can get a brand new Rubicon Unlimited for about $7k more with the new motor and trans and no salvaged title. From there you can wheel it stock then build it how you want to build it.

If you are really into Expedition style stuff, then the 37's in my opinion are a little to big. 35's are already breaking axles and people advise gussets and sleeves to help that axels. And that is even before loading up the rig with all of your gear.

To answer your second question.

For a 3-4 year old Rubicon I would pay $26k... but for one with a salvaged title I would not pay more than $20k.

nate914s

Thanks for the break down. I agree with you on a few points above.

I have the done a lot of research at this point and feel that if it passes my Mechanics inspection would be worth between worth $17-19k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk