Samurai as Daily Driver?

Riptide

Explorer
I daily drive mine about 50 miles round trip to work each day; about half of that is highway miles.

Choosing a Samurai to DD is like choosing an old British sportscar to commute in; underpowered, drafty, quirky handling, dated suspension. Yet I still choose to drive it over my Ford Expedition most days. I think it was Phil Hill that said it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow.

If you like old Land Rovers, and old Jeeps, then you'll like a Samurai. I love the simplicity of the thing, which is what's responsible for it's "less-than-civilized-to-some" characteristics.

As Mike said, finding a clean, stock one, (which is what you want), may take awhile. I searched about 6 months before settling on my latest one, and paid top dollar for it. But, I have one of the last ones brought in the country, with low miles, and AC to boot. I am trying to keep it mostly stock, better suspension is a must, but I really don't mind the 1.3 engine as it is. A Samurai is best when it is what it is. Know that going in, and you'll enjoy the heck out of it. Jumping on the endless upgrade path will take some of the joy out of it. I've seen some threads on Sami sites where guys that have really built rigs all lament how their Sami was more fun when it was original...

I have a good time every time I drive it. We sometimes tow it with us behind our little camper, and it's made a good pack mule for the three of us.

Life's too short to drive a Honda Civic every day...

Last edited:

tombodad

Adventurer
tombodad good luck on your search for a SAMURAI. My 86 TinTop has a/c for those hot day's here in McCall, Idaho and the Heater works great it has no problem roasting me out in temp's to -10*.

Let us know what you get :victory::victory:

Brian

Which brings me to my next question. Hardtop vs softtop. Any pros and cons of each? I typically see temps from 0 to 110 throughout the year.
I understand additional security benefits of Hardtop but I have no problem using a lockbox. Better insulation? Stronger roof for a rack?
Softtop allows summer removal. Would require a cage (probably a good idea anyways) in order to install a rack.
Any thoughts?

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
I love my TinTop "Stanley". There's nothing like A/C on a 105 degree day Or the Nice & Dry, Cozy Heated Interior of my Hardtop on a -10 degree Morning.

tombodad

Adventurer
What do y'all think of this one?

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/2090014729.html

...in an email, he said there is 170k on the vehicle, 30k on a rebuild. A few mods, but nothing to suggest hardcore crawling or anything that would've been too hard on it. Two sets of wheels, winch, locker, performance mods, 2 tops... good deal?

Other options:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2051999345.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/2096703903.html

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/2089885565.html

This one is EFI, is it significantly better?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/2087629272.html

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
This one is EFI, is it significantly better?

craigslistsamurai.jpg

I have the EFI engine--they started in 1991--and I think it's a better engine. And '89s-on have a few modifications (dash, seats, suspension, more highway power due to lower top gear) that are thought of as valuable. But I don't know that I like this particular truck for daily driver use due to the big tires. With only 66 hp, spinning big heavy tires (and the substantially higher gear ratio they cause) will make the truck seem less responsive. Might also be a pain to get in and out of.

The white tin top in Vancouver seems nice and straight and low mileage if you want a hardtop and want to do your own mods.

BTW, James Lombardo (WhereTheHellIsJames on this forum) may have this semi-rare removable hardtop:

P3211258.jpg

and its rear door glass for sale in case you get a convertible and want the hardtop for weathertightness and/or security.

tombodad

Adventurer
I think I am leaning towards the first one in bend (prineville) at this point. Recent rebuild, about 1000 dollars in Calmini performance parts, wheels and tires that I like, rear locker. Seems a less expensive way to get things I would want anyways? Also I am thinking that I prefer the soft-top. Although the hardtop is cool too... :safari-rig:
Anyone have any experience with a calmini carb? Their website claims about a 30% increase in power with the carb, headers, catback. How much penalty is there in fuel economy?

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
This Samurai has been one of my daily drivers up until recently when I bought another Sidekick:

P1020630.jpg

I've been daily driving offroad-modified Samurai's since 1994. This is my 3rd one and it won't be my last. Unfortunately, I have it for sale currently, but I may reconsider because it's just such a pleasure to drive - especially on a nice warm summer day with the top off and the doors off and the radio playing some good tunes.

Samurai's are seriously THE most fun for the buck of any vehicle you can buy - and it could be argued they're THE most fun vehicle period!!!

Choosing a Samurai to DD is like choosing an old British sportscar to commute in; underpowered, drafty, quirky handling, dated suspension.

My Morgan Plus 8 and I take exception with that statement! :D

Yet I still choose to drive it over my Ford Expedition most days. I think it was Phil Hill that said it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow.
:iagree: There you go!

tombodad

Adventurer
Geoff -
Nice looking samurai! What size tires are those? Did you do any engine swap/modifications to retain drivability with the heavy rubber? Any more pics?

stevec

Adventurer
I'll throw in another vote for the Samurai. I have only owned one Samurai, but I have owned it since it was brand new in 1986. It was my daily driver for quite a few years, but does see mostly trail duty these days. I've owned quite a few other Suzuki 4x4's as well, mostly older (early 70's) rigs.

For a daily driver, I would suggest 235/75R15 tires or 30x9.50R15's, a mild lift to fit the tires, and 4.16 transfer case gears. With that combination, a properly tuned Samurai should get you high 20's for mileage (I averaged 27mpg for a few years with this combination, no difference between highway and city mileage.) The later EFI engines are probably better; but the old carbed engines are fine too. A header and 2" exhaust will help it breathe better, which will help mileage. A Weber carb will give you more power, especially with the exhaust mods, but they can be finicky to tune, and your gas mileage will likely suffer.

Since you are on the eastern (dry) side of the mountains, I would definitely go for the soft top, as it is much more fun in the summer (i.e. with the top off.) The heater is more than up to the task of keeping you warm in the winter.

The stock one on the OR coast looks nice, but check for rust under that new paint! The one in Prineville (Bend CL) would be my first choice, but unless that locking differential is an ARB, you may not like the way it handles in corners. Of course, if that is the case, you could find someone who wanted the locker, and swap rear ends.

The one with 33's may be a bit much for a daily driver, and has probably been wheeled quite a bit already. The others are less likely to have seen trail use, and thus should be more reliable.

If you like the Sidekick/Trackers, they will be a bit more comfortable, more roomy (esp. the 4-doors), a bit more powerful, and should deliver similar mileage. It really depends on what you like.

I am a member of a local (Puget Sound area) Suzuki club, Wazuks, and we have a few members in eastern Washington. Let me know if you have any questions or need anything!

tombodad

Adventurer
Thanks for the offer of help. Don't be surprised if I actually take you up on that! If I get one, we have family over in Lacey. Might have to meet up with you Wazuks!

I am leaning towards the Prineville. He seems like a good guy, and it is a good deal for something that is more or less how I would do things anyways, which is affordable to me. I don't know what kind of locker it is, I will be finding out more in the next few days.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I've owned 7 Samurai's and out of the ones your looking at, I'd go with the white tin top. I wouldn't touch the first one with the high miles and mods.
Like someone else said, don't expect great fuel mileage out of Samurai's. The best I've ever seen out of any of mine (not counting the diesel one) was 25 mpg. Most of the time they got 20 mpg.

One of mine was a 94 with the EFI and 16k origional miles. The do have a tiny bit more power than the carbed version but I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a nice older carbed model.

As far as VW diesels in the US, we also got the 1.6 turbo diesel. The 1.9TD can be had easily here in the US even though we didn't get them in any cars. I bought my 1.9TD as a complete crate engine from the local VW dealer. I see them on eBay all the time as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater