Saved this FJ62 from going to auction

Terrainist

Explorer
She's so beautiful... sniff.

Ya know, a University could make a case study out of you and your vehicle attention deficit disorder. It would probably pay for all your equipment and vehicle changes. Something to consider... might want to take advantage of your disability. And just think of all the cool vehicles and gear you could go through under the guise of being 'studied'. Might even meen free beer.

Care to say what brought on this "life change"? Did you allude to a new job/career/placement? Disregard if too nosy, and Merry Christmas.

roamingaz

Explorer
WOW!!!! She's a BEAUT!!!!!!!! Lots of potential in that 62 eh... It's almost a shame to take it out on the trail it's so clean ... I'm amazed at the shape it apears to be in from the pics. Anything were not seeing???

Cheers

DAve

Really it only has minor things to fix like the clear coat on the hood and roof is faded but typical of a Arizona vehicle. AC didn't work but it had been converted to 134A so I put a can of feon in it and works good now, only other issue I had was the tires were sun rotted so I got new BFG's. I do really like this Landcruiser, took it on a 200 mile road trip over the weekend and handles well but fuel milage sucks.

She's so beautiful... sniff.

Ya know, a University could make a case study out of you and your vehicle attention deficit disorder. It would probably pay for all your equipment and vehicle changes. Something to consider... might want to take advantage of your disability. And just think of all the cool vehicles and gear you could go through under the guise of being 'studied'. Might even meen free beer.

Care to say what brought on this "life change"? Did you allude to a new job/career/placement? Disregard if too nosy, and Merry Christmas.

I had a pretty crappy day at work today but reading that made me laugh so thanks!
I admit I have vehicle ADD:elkgrin: I tried several vehicles and tried various ideas but after doing a bunch of work it still doesn't function as I had planned so rather then invest more time and money I just sell or trade and start over.
AS for my latest change, as soon as I got everything done the way I liked it several things changed, the biggest was child custody so now I have my 2 older kids every day after school and every weekend and I only had room in the truck for 1 so I started thinking of selling the truck and out of the blue the previous owner called me and asked if I would sell it back to him. The other change I am making is going back to a simpler vehicle and less gear, I want to see if I can get out more often if I have less "gear" to slow me down or prep for a trip, I'm going back to basics- ice chest, ground tent, small stove and basic meals.

roamingaz

Explorer
So far I'm getting 12 MPG, that's not very good IMO for a stock truck with small tires. Is this the normal MPG every one else is getting?

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
A) Have you verified the mileage against a GPS?

B) I wouldn't really consider 12 "bad"

C) How do you drive? It was designed and sold when the max speed limit was 55. It will get into the high teens if you drive really mellow.

D) I would put in new spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and check the valve adjustment and ignition timing first.

Dave

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
One more thing:

Do you feel what is almost like a 4th "shift" once you are in OD? That would be the torque converter locking up. You would feel about a 200 rpm drop at that point.

Dave

njtaco

Explorer
One more thing:

Do you feel what is almost like a 4th "shift" once you are in OD? That would be the torque converter locking up. You would feel about a 200 rpm drop at that point.

Dave

IIRC, lockup occurs at 52 MPH, unlocks at 48 MPH, only in overdrive...the trans will stay much cooler with the TC locked up.

Also, on my 1988 FJ62 the speedometer wasn't right until 31-10.50s were installed. Then it checks against the GPS 100%. YMMV :)

roamingaz

Explorer
Well it's like this, I stumbled across this cruiser for a great deal and spent about another $1500 on tires and maintence. I ultimately want a motorcyle of some sort and tossed around the idea of selling my '05 Seqouia and keeping the cruiser but the Sequoia is a 8 passenger and the Landcruiser is only 5 so with a large family I needed to keep my Seqouia. The one thing I don't like with the cruiser is the mpg, driving it back and forth to work cost me $90 week, for some on here that is pocket money but for me thats a insane amount of $$ to spend just to get to work and gas prices are going up, so what fun would it be to have the ultimate expo rig sitting in my back yard because I cant afford to drive it
I know it will sell and someone will get a very nice cruiser with most of the maintence already done. :victory:

a.mus.ed

Explorer
...ultimately want a motorcyle of some sort...large family...:victory:

I've got the perfect vehicle for you. You'll just have to convince these guys to part with it::bike_rider:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTpLxmaKbKU&t=0m2s"]YouTube - Dethklok- Detheme & Title sequence ~ AngryAss Productions[/ame]

Terrainist

Explorer
Had another brainstorm... you could just skip the whole University case study thing and go straight to writing a book. Do the Phil and Oprah circuit when it comes out. It would be much more lucrative I would imagine. Which means more vehicles of course, gear and beer. Got to learn how to shed a few crocodile tears though. Come up with some kind of backstory about how your second grade teacher took your Tonka truck when you were playing in the sand pit and threw it in the dumpster, and you've never been the same since.

And there is that show, "Intervention", as someone mentioned. Could do that first to lay some ground work. Have the camera crew follow you around for a week or two with you on the sell phone chasing after the holy grail of vehicle nirvana. Get some of the forum members here to do the intervention part... "Jess, we love you man. But you've got a problem. We can get you some help." Send you to the Betty Ford clinic in Cali for a month, hang with some of Hollywoods more famous drugged up skanks. Do burn outs in the parking lot.

I'm telling you, you've got a gold mine there with your disability. And a great sense of humor of course. Cash them in. Oh, and good luck with the sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk