Say NO to Rock Auto.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I think it seems to be an issue of ColoDisco seems having (by his experience) a vehicle that is notoriously picky about the brake parts that go on it. I have seen similar issues with parts through multiple vendors and multiple vehicles throughout my years of shadetree maintenance. Through those issues I have learned to buy only from brick & mortar parts stores. I just recently had an issue at Autozone during my last brake change. The stock-person accidentally put warranty-return pads with the new stock and they were accidentally handed to me when I made my puchase. Luckily I had the opportunity to drive my wife's car to the store, exchange the parts with a smile, an apology and an understanding that sometimes "**it happens!"

I'm sorry you dealt with this ColoDisco but I have dealt with the same return policies at many retailers, both online and in-person. It may be an unfortunate issue of modern business but I can't really blame those places with what some unscrupulous humans will try now (remember the old days when you could "pump before paying" at about any gas station in the country?).

I'm glad the issue was resolved for you, and God bless you for being willing to work on British automotive technology!:D

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
It honestly sounds like there is something wrong with your hub setup, considering you had caliper interference problems yet again.

Did you double check that the inner wheel bearing races were seated properly?

ColoDisco

Explorer
Yes I did Adam, that was my first thought. As my original calipers worked just fine except for the blown seals, I had to look at all the parts. In the end I am still suspicious of the EBC rotors.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Actually he referred to the britpart as ****ty so your wrong. He just called a spade a spade.
So, you jump down the throat of a guy who was possibly sold defective parts, preach all high and mighty, and then show your complete lack of knowledge on parts quality by advising a purchase of Britpart callipers. Britpart brake components are notoriously shoddy. A quick search of any UK LR forum, where there is a huge wealth of experience in these things, will tell you not to use Britpart for mechanical parts, especially safety critical ones. Britpart is a wholesaler, not a manufacturer, and while some of their stuff is fine, and some of it OEM or even better, such as their CV joints, much of it is unbranded, ill-fitting crap from third world countries fit only for re-smelting.

He may have made a mistake on failing to check the clearance of the parts, but it would appear that someone has provided faulty or mislabled parts. Whether it's an undersized calliper or oversized disc I couldn't say, but a decent vendor will try to ensure their parts are correct and of suitable quality - your contract is with the vendor, not the manufacturer.

I can't say that I'm impressed by the bullying mob on here, either. Some of you have acted like school kids.

Ultimately, it's a salutory lesson in not buying cheap or pattern parts, especially for something as important as this. I'd recommend fitting genuine Lockheed callipers, which aren't expensive if you buy them from somewhere other than LR - the Gen Parts stuff is horrifically marked up.

Smksignals

Explorer
As some of you know I needed to do front brakes on the Disco. So last Sat. I installed new calipers, Rotors and pads. I bought the calipers from Rock Auto and my brake rotors and pads from Atlantic British.

Yes I did Adam, that was my first thought. As my original calipers worked just fine except for the blown seals, I had to look at all the parts. In the end I am still suspicious of the EBC rotors.

And this is Rock Auto's fault? I think their return policy was very acceptable.

johnsoax

Adventurer
I just ordered Wagner brake parts for my Wife's van. I ordered Tuesday, got two of the three packages yesterday, and got the email that they shipped today...

Pretty happy now.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
local parts stores. personal service ******.

Personal opinion I suppose, I would never ask for help from one of my local parts places. There are generally two types of people that work there, people that love imports, and people that love american muscle cars. I've yet to find one that knows anything about Land Rover or Volvo. They generally don't know what they're talking about and are just working there for a job, not because they have product knowledge.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
That's funny I have noticed the same thing. Funny thing is you can tell who likes what just by looking at them!
Personal opinion I suppose, I would never ask for help from one of my local parts places. There are generally two types of people that work there, people that love imports, and people that love american muscle cars. I've yet to find one that knows anything about Land Rover or Volvo. They generally don't know what they're talking about and are just working there for a job, not because they have product knowledge.

Ever been to a BAP GEON Auto Parts Store?

Those guys know imports!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Just pointing out that Rock Auto is a massive wholeseller/reseller of parts, they do not rebuild parts themselves.

I agree with this that buyer beware and I've also only had good experiences with Rock Auto...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach