School me on diesel fuel systems

Mrk1

Adventurer
6.2 GM has 40 hp and around 40lbft torque more than a standard 200 tdi engine, a minor fuel pump tweak and your nearly equal.
200 tdi is a bombproof engine, a lot lighter and designed to fit.
Availability is your problem on your side of the pond though.
If you want all the fun of doing an engine swap then drop a cummins in there.

Im not looking to do a factory rover motor, I want something I can walk into small town USA auto parts stores and get parts. If I was going to do a 4 cyl it would probably be a cummins 4BT

Last edited:

DividingCreek

Explorer
They are massive. They were bus engines. I love detroits. The late 6.2 (serp belt)with turbo is the one to shoot for if you can find one.

Mrk1

Adventurer
Picking an engine is very hard, every engine has its flaws. Ive worked on everything from subarus to lamborghinis and can tell you inherent flaws with each engine.

Daryl

Adventurer
200 tdi is a bombproof engine, a lot lighter and designed to fit.
Availability is your problem on your side of the pond though.

And not federalized, so it's illegal to use on the road. This makes it difficult and always sketchy to register in any state, outright impossible in many states.

ipgregory

Adventurer
And not federalized, so it's illegal to use on the road. This makes it difficult and always sketchy to register in any state, outright impossible in many states.

As an add to that you may also have to consider the regulation issues of where you live for any engine swap, be it diesel or gas. You may have emissions testing and they may require OBD II compliance depending on the year of the vehicle its going in. Most require the engine being fitted to be the same age as or younger than the vehicle it is going in as well and all originally fitted emissions equipment that was installed in the vehicle it came out of must be fitted with it generally.

Mrk1

Adventurer
Im pretty familiar with what gets a sticker in my home state of MA. My truck being registered as a 91 should be fine. No OBD or sniffer testing for pre 94 here. Good lights and nothing super loud or unsafe isn't to much of a problem.

I've never had anyone look under my hood.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
GM 8.2 liter 4 stroke v8's. Known as the "Fuel Sipper Series". Injectors are plunger operated off of the cam. 300hp @ 3000 rpm ea. Usually running after less than a 1/2 revolution after hitting starter button.
Sounds essentially like each injector is it's own injection pump. A mechanical "version" of the new diesels that have electronic injectors and no traditional injection pump.

For a Series they are (based on a reported letter from the Feds, from another forum).

ipgregory

Adventurer
Im pretty familiar with what gets a sticker in my home state of MA. My truck being registered as a 91 should be fine. No OBD or sniffer testing for pre 94 here. Good lights and nothing super loud or unsafe isn't to much of a problem.

I've never had anyone look under my hood.

Getting a sticker and being legal don’t always go hand in hand though this might only really matter if you are involved in say a bad RTA and somebody is badly hurt or killed. Sounds like you know what you’re doing though so good luck with the swap. Others in other states may not be so lucky.

Consider my point about the age of the truck vs. the age of the engine being swapped in if you are considering a 6.2. Aren’t they 80s engines and your truck is a 91? That’s an EPA reg IIRC and many states adhere to it.

It often boils down to how ‘gray’ do you want the swap to be?

Mrk1

Adventurer
^^^^ I would be much more willing to build my cars to the law if it was easier to find them. DMV website has nothing and the people at the offices are least motivated people I've ever seen at a job. So good sense and yearly inspection is what I go off of.

Daryl

Adventurer
For a Series they are (based on a reported letter from the Feds, from another forum).

Thinking about this, 200's are federalized from what I can recall, it's the 300s that are not.

Don't know what I was thinking there (other than 300). Thanks for the correction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater