Scott's M416 trailer build begins

TacoRocco

Observer
Rock on dude!

Thats an awesome setup!

Love the colour and rim matches! Looks like you bought it with the Jeep.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Nice build! I'm not done with mine yet, trying to keep 4 Jeeps road/trail worthy takes a lot of time! Hoping to get more done on my M416 this summer.

HB

greentruck

Adventurer
x2 on the barn doors!:victory:

I have been thinking about a way to have a roll-out kitchen at the back end of our M101 CDN, but I did NOT want to cut out a tail gate. I'm really liking your solution and may adopt that down the road as the basis for designing what our trailer needs.

Tight_wad

Adventurer
I have been test pulling my trailer for almost 2 weeks now. It pull better than I had thought it would.

I didn't have any shocks on it for the first weekend of pulling it. I had been waiting to see how it would react to weight. I thought I might put coil over shocks or air shocks on it to handle the weight better. But since it is working out, I decided to go with some KYB gas shocks for it.

Wow, now I can't even tell that it is behind me, what an improvement.

I still have almost 4 weeks before I head to Colorado, Arizona, and Utah. So it is time for me to concentrate on my JK (just regeared and ARB lockered it) and on my supplies for the trip. 4000 miles mapped out, before any side trips and trails.

I would like to thank everyone on the forum, your inputs, on this thread or in PM's, have been invaluable to me on this build. Just as you all have influenced me, I hope that I have am able do the same for some of you.

This forum is truly one of the best, I can't wait to make some trips with my trailer and share it with all of you!

Tight_wad

Adventurer
We made it back from our expedition out west to the North Rim, Zion, Bryce, and Moab. The trailer pulled superb! My wife even commented half way out, that I must have done a good job, she couldn't even tell it was there.

We stopped a rest stop, and I had an old gentleman really looking my trailer over. After a bit, he said that he use to pull that same type of trailer around when he was in the military. I was half expecting him to give me a little hell for all that I did to it, but to my surprise, he really like all that I had done.

I sure have enjoyed creating this trailer, and now to have pulled it for over 4450 miles, I'm ready to start planning my next expedition. I might even build another trailer, Teardrop type maybe, this next winter.

NXN

Really enjoyed the build. I am hoping to get ahold of a trailer like this and do something similar.

Do you by chance have any pictures to share of the trailer loaded out with your gear while on your expedition?

Jekyll2000

Wheel Adapters

Where did you get your wheel adapters? I have JK wheels as well that I would like to use on my M416.

Thanks,

Tony

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Really enjoyed the build. I am hoping to get ahold of a trailer like this and do something similar.

Do you by chance have any pictures to share of the trailer loaded out with your gear while on your expedition?

I am sorry but I didn't even think about pictures of the trailer loaded. In my defense, I was having to much fun!:victory:

Will do some the next time I get to use it, promise.

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Where did you get your wheel adapters? I have JK wheels as well that I would like to use on my M416.

Thanks,

Tony

I purchased mine from Adapt-it-USA Very easy company to work with. The ones that I ordered were 2 inches thick. Remember that the lugs on the trailer stock are 7/16 and 5 on 5 1/5. They questioned me about this, but it was correct. Double check your trailer.

One more thing that I wish now that I would have done. The studs that they use are 12mm x 1.50 thread, if I was to do it over, I would have paid to have the studs the same size as the JK which is 1/2 x 20 Thread. Would make it so same lug nuts can be used on the vehicle and trailer, the way it should be.

Jekyll2000

I purchased mine from Adapt-it-USA Very easy company to work with. The ones that I ordered were 2 inches thick. Remember that the lugs on the trailer stock are 7/16 and 5 on 5 1/5. They questioned me about this, but it was correct. Double check your trailer.

One more thing that I wish now that I would have done. The studs that they use are 12mm x 1.50 thread, if I was to do it over, I would have paid to have the studs the same size as the JK which is 1/2 x 20 Thread. Would make it so same lug nuts can be used on the vehicle and trailer, the way it should be.

Thanks for the update. I'll give them a call.

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Here is the info right from my invoice. More info never hurts. Let me know if you need any other help.

5 X 5.50 to 5 X 5.00 Wheel Adapter
Configuration: 20
Adapter Thickness: 2.0" Thick
Year/Make/Model of Vehicle?: stud size 7/16 hub size 3.875

Part number 55505500

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk