Scott's M416 trailer build begins

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Looks great man... nice fab work!

You should paint around the decal... that is retro!

~ James

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Just thought I would share this picture of my truck that the tailgate doors are made from. This goes back about 25 years ago, forgive me.

picture.php

I use to work at a Custom 4x4 shop. I had money, but as you can see, no brains.

FlatBlak

Observer
Excellent build! I think I would hang some regular ol' Jeep taillights from it to save the departure angle. Just me. Enjoying the thread!:victory:

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
A quick question on your lid. I really like the style and will probably do something similar, except hinged off one of the sides to to allow for opening it while the RTT is deployed. Are you experiencing any binding in your lid at all with the lip of the lid and round the lip on the trailer? If you look at the diagram I attached, what I'm concerned with is that as the lid rotates up, that piece of angle iron can/might come in contact with the rim of the trailer, limiting uptravel of the lid.

Just curious if you did anything to compensate for this or if you haven't even had an issue with it. Thanks!

Attachments

• lid seal.jpg
    lid seal.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 39

Tight_wad

Adventurer
A quick question on your lid. I really like the style and will probably do something similar, except hinged off one of the sides to to allow for opening it while the RTT is deployed. Are you experiencing any binding in your lid at all with the lip of the lid and round the lip on the trailer? If you look at the diagram I attached, what I'm concerned with is that as the lid rotates up, that piece of angle iron can/might come in contact with the rim of the trailer, limiting uptravel of the lid.

Just curious if you did anything to compensate for this or if you haven't even had an issue with it. Thanks!

It is all in the placement of the actual pivot point. Mine is below and forward (outward) of the lips. This makes the lip lift and go away from the top of the trailers lip. There is no way for it to bind on mine. You would be able to do the same thing to the side, but make sure you reinforce the mount so that the tub can't flex any. Good luck!

Tight_wad

Adventurer
I had decided to make my own tongue box, instead of buying one. I look at several different ones, but none of them were the size or quality that I wanted.
I purchased a sheet of 1/16 inch thick metal and laid out my design.

Here is a picture of the my tongue box (only 3 sides of it) cut out and ready for bending. To do all the bends, I first scored the metal with my 4 inch grinder and a thin cut off wheel. Then I used metal clamps and folded it at the cuts. It went very well. There are 10 bends that I did just in making these 3 sides and the top seal lip.

picture.php

And this is a picture of the box fitted in place on the trailer. I still need to make the bottom, the back, and the lid.

picture.php

picture.php

I have also finished the back tail gate doors and a grab handle for the lid, but I forgot to take any pictures of them. Will add some pic's of those later.

That's it for now.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Glad im not the only one who bends sheet metal like that! Works like a champ with a thin cutoff wheel...

I made my own tongue box (in the same manner, but included the bottom) too, but its slightly less complicated than yours. Yours fits very well! Your trailer is coming along nicely Scott, looking forward to more pics!

~ Stump

DSCN1606.jpg

DSCN1607.jpg

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Here is some more shots of the tongue tool box nearing completion. Now I need hinges and a locking paddle latch. I have not installed the bottom of the box yet, it will be installed separately to the bottom of the tongue assembly when I take it all apart and flip the frame over for more welding.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Noxious007

Observer
That has turned out great! You have taken it beyond anything I would have done to it.

OK..... I want it back now..... Thanks for holding on to it for me :Wow1:

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Glad you like it, but you can't have it! :victory:

Happy to hear from you, hope things have been going well for you.

I would have to say that I have not had any buyers remorse with purchasing this trailer from you. My wife, maybe, but I been having loads of fun building it. I can't wait til I get it done and have time to just enjoy it for a change.

Take Care!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman

Members online