Scott's M416 trailer build begins

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Today I played with a bunch of cardboard boxes and made a mock up of what the tongue assembly might look like. Not finished with it yet, but think I have it about right. This tongue assembly is 24 inches longer than the original one that came on it. The box is a small storage for I don't know yet, still thinking about that. I was planning on putting a tongue storage box on it also.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

What do you guys ( or gals ) think?
Looks like a nice mock up, caution Cardboard is really hard to weld LOL.

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Since I have been asked by one already, If anyone would like my sketchup model of the M416, just pm me with email and I can send it. Its not a very big file, only about 287 kb. if you have played with Sketchup much, you probably can do better then I have, but I have been having a lot of fun so far.

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Hey gasman, Do you know how much your lid end up weighing? And what size gas struts are you using?

Mine should have weighed in at about 105 lb, but actually weighs about 150 lb. The reason for my weigh change is that the fab company used 12 ga. metal instead of the 14 ga. that I had figured for them to use. Not sure why, I listed the material size on all my diagrams. I will live with it, because they did such a nice job. Just wish that the extra 45 lb wasn't on the high side for my center of gravity. I still have to add my supports for my racking. I figure that I will bring the weight up to around 200 lb finished and if I go roof top tent, that will take it to about 280 lb.

Is there any concern, if a gas strut fails or mount end failure, with this kind of weight? I sure wouldn't want anyone hurt.

PAToyota, I look forward to seeing what you create out of it, good luck.

gasman

Adventurer
i dont really know how much it weighs ??????? im sure it was less than 100 . the racks and support bracket maybe 25# .. my tent is heavy shipping weight was 160 # .. 12 gauge should be nice and strong thats for sure..

Tight_wad

Adventurer
I have been working on my step board mounts today. I noticed that my mounts didn't line up with a straight edge on them from front to back. And then I started looking at the frame, and saw that the frame is made with a deflection arch in it. I never noticed it before, but front to back, the center is about 3/8 inch high.

Has anyone else notice this?

I welded all of my mounts using the top of the frame as my guide by clamping bars across it. So I decided to remounted the tub, and rechecked the mounts with a straight edge and they were all in line with each other as they should have been. So now I am doing all my work with bars clamped to the frame rails flattening the deflection arch.

I just didn't expect this out of such a small trailer. If it was a semi trailer then defiantly , but a 6 foot long trailer bed, seems strange.

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Here is an update to the progress so far.

picture.php

picture.php

I have completed the supports for the step mounts for the sides and the back of the trailer.

picture.php

And I have added my bumper that will house my 4 inch LED lights. I still need to do a little more to the bumper mount to strengthen it, and the side caps for the bumper.

picture.php

Next week, it will be on to making my fenders, cutting out for the lights, adding bumper bracing, and hopefully adding my step plates. Might be more than I can do, but if all goes well, I want to paint the frame by the end of the month.

Hope you all like it so far

Scott

weva09con

Observer
Looking good Scott!! I wish mine was as far along as yours!! Getting my frame back from sandblaster in the morning!! Thanks again for all of the help!!

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Looking good Scott!! I wish mine was as far along as yours!! Getting my frame back from sandblaster in the morning!! Thanks again for all of the help!!

You're welcome! It's all time and resources. Lately Ive had the misfortune of time, good for trailer, bad for income! That will change soon.

Today I was able to figure up the materials need for my steps and designed my fenders. As it turns out, they will be almost the same as what came on it, except they need to be 13.5 inches wide for the tires. I will find out tomorrow how soon I will have them.

I did order my Max coupler from AT today, and my Rotopax fuel packs and mounts. As soon as I get them, I can figure out my clearance for the back door opening on my JK. If I did my math right, it will work with the tongue tool box I have pick out. But if not I am going to have to make my own tongue tool box. Not the worst thing to do, but rather not have to make everything.

For tomorrow, lots of grinding of welds on the step mounts to get ready, capping off the ends of the bumper, and drilling for the lights. Oh, and sometime in there, I am going to plan out my hinges for the lid.

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Why yes! Yes I will. But at the moment, my fenders are at the fab shop, only for examples for them to build from, not for modification.

I will post in the for sales soon all the items that I have taken off the trailer that might have value to someone.

achampagne

Explorer
I'd like first dibs on the fenders. My guy at the shop is working on so many projects it might take longer than I am willing to wait.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online