Scott's M416 trailer build begins

Tight_wad

Adventurer
I'd like first dibs on the fenders. My guy at the shop is working on so many projects it might take longer than I am willing to wait.

I should have them back mid next week, pm me and we can talk.

Maybe I missed this, but what is the platform on the back going to be for?

-

The platform is so that short people can access things on top or inside the trailer easier. It can also be used to strap things down for hauling if needed.

My wife doesn't like the fact that it has no tail gate. So I am trying to decide if I want to put a full tail gate, or just an access door on the back instead. With an access door, I wouldn't have to worry about any flex issues. I can do either, what do you all think is the best way to go?

As for my progress this week, I did my hole drilling for my back lights. It cost me a drill in the process. If you have never had a drill burst into flames, while I was drilling. I don't recommend it! And I was taking my time, running the drill with out load to help cool it, but that 4.5 inch hole saw was just to much for it to handle. I liked that drill too.

Bumper is finished, just need to tie into the frame with some angle bracing, but that will have to wait until I have time to flip it over again.

Well that's it for now, sorry no pictures to show at this time, camera battery is dead, and can't find my charge cord for it.

Last edited:

Toolman

Explorer
I like the box ,I would make sure you can fit battery or two in there. down the line you may want some power in the trailer.. nice idea with the duct tape and cardboard.

Tight_wad

Adventurer
I have been pretty busy at work, but have been able to get a bit more done on the trailer.

Looks a little ugly right now, been working on removing the paint. Next step will have to be sandblasting!

The hinges have been installed and also 2 of the gas lift cylinders. I have also finished welding and grinding all the hole shut. The Roto Pak fuel packs have not been mounted yet, but are in their mounting place. The gas struts are 100 pound rated per strut, makes lifting and lowering the lid very easy. I will have to increase the lift capacity to be able to add a rack and cargo to the top.

picture.php

picture.php

I decided that the front of the trailer was not flat enough to just mount the hinges, so I used 1 x 2 inch tubing, and mounted that to the front of the tub with c-channel on the inside. This flattened the surface. The 1 x 2's will be welded to the frame at the base, and make the front mounting point for the tub.

picture.php

picture.php

I still need to find the tongue tool box that I want to use, have a few that I am considering, but not decided yet. Fenders and step material should be here by the end of next week.

picture.php

So far, very happy with the way things are coming together, but can't wait to be finished! Cheer time:beer:

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Looks good really coming along! Did you change your tow frame set up?

Are you asking about the box that I did when I made the A frame out of cardboard?

If so, then yes and no. I am still going to make the smaller full width box where the A frame and the the trailer come together ( just below the red fuel packs ), but I am waiting to decide and get the tongue box. After I have it, I am going to cut the back side of it out, and expand it to become that box section that I did in cardboard.

It will add a lot of tongue box space, and if my measurements are right, I will be able to put several batteries under there without taking away from the main tongue box space. Not sure if I will ever setup to have onboard power, but I am planning for it just in case.

That is about the only real changes to the A frame tongue assembly that I have made, so far.

gasman

Adventurer
wow ! i havnt checked this thread in a while .. the trailer is really coming along nicely. those hinges look great.. i wish i had thought of something like that.. they should make removal very easy..

you may have already done this but i will say it anyway just in case.. with regards to your struts.. when i was figuring mine out i would sit on the lid while my buddy tried to open it.. cuz i weigh 175#, my tent is 160 plus the weight of the racks just about the same then we played till we found the right spot..

do the tailgate find a way to reinforce the the back of the tub .you wont regret it... i think you saw how mine is the 2'' sq pipe thru the floor and welded to the frame no problems. good work its looking great

Tight_wad

Adventurer
wow ! i havnt checked this thread in a while .. the trailer is really coming along nicely. those hinges look great.. i wish i had thought of something like that.. they should make removal very easy..

you may have already done this but i will say it anyway just in case.. with regards to your struts.. when i was figuring mine out i would sit on the lid while my buddy tried to open it.. cuz i weigh 175#, my tent is 160 plus the weight of the racks just about the same then we played till we found the right spot..

do the tailgate find a way to reinforce the the back of the tub .you wont regret it... i think you saw how mine is the 2'' sq pipe thru the floor and welded to the frame no problems. good work its looking great

I first maded a mock up (out of cardboard) of the hinges and then had them plasma cut ( thought the were going to laser cut), and then planned to weld them directly to the tub. But then I realized that the faces of the tub are not very flat ant true. That is when I decided to use the 1 x 2 tubing. Now the face is very flat, and I have the lid tied into the tub and frame, so no flexing at all when I raise it.

Today, I switched the gas struts from 100 lb per to 120 lb per side. This should end up perfect for the added weight of cargo or RTT. If not, next step is to either add another pair of struts, or go to 150 lb ones. I was think about using 2 struts per side, just in case one failed, but I am going to put a manual support bar that will swing down, for safety while the lid is up.

As for the tailgate, I agree that it would be a good addition. But I have decided that I am going to put a set of double doors on the back of the tub instead of a complete tailgate. One reason is that I just don't really want to cut the top tube of the tub. I want to maintain the rigid structure this way. And the other reason is that I have a tailgate (it is more like a underbody tool box lid) that came from my very first truck that I ever built (early-mid '80's monster truck type). It will work out perfect.

I did build the frame for the back doors today out of 1.5 x 1.5 angle iron. Tomorrow I will be cutting the back of the tub out to fit the frame through it, and I will cut the tailgate in half to make the 2 separate doors.

I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow of the way that I am doing it.

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Here are some pic's of what I have succeed at today.

Rear doors are made from this old step side tailgate. This goes back to a time when naming a truck was a have to.

picture.php

This is the frame that I made out of the 1.5 x 1.5 inch angle iron with the doors mounted and the whole thing mounted to the tub.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Still have a lot to do, but man I am really happy with how easy this turned out to be. The hinges were my biggest worry, but they weld up real good and don't bind at all.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be getting my fenders.

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Finally, I have my fenders. Here are some pic's with them installed on the trailer, and the diamond plate cut to size and resting in place.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here is a couple with my Jeep hooked up. I was remeasuring for the tongue box, making sure on the clearance need to open the tailgate while attached.

picture.php

(not a picture of me)

picture.php

Wife and kids gone for the next 3 days, might be able to get some night work on the trailer in, or not.

Hope you all like! I do :wings:

Last edited:

gasman

Adventurer
wow!! that thing is looking good.. different idea on the tailgate, nice.
how extreeme off road are you going.. will your bumper hang up ? . may i suggest a slider or two.. of course im just thinkin out loud..

Tight_wad

Adventurer
wow!! that thing is looking good.. different idea on the tailgate, nice.
how extreeme off road are you going.. will your bumper hang up ? . may i suggest a slider or two.. of course im just thinkin out loud..

Thanks gasman!

I think that some sort of slider would be a good idea. I was planning to do some more bracing to it, but I have been holding off until I am ready to disassemble and flip it over one more time. I hate welding upside-down, never could do it very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online