Scott's M416 trailer build begins

Tight_wad

Adventurer
I have now started on the work of the trailer that I purchased from Noxious007. Thanks again, the trailer is in great shape!

picture.php

I have striped all the wiring off and I have flopped the axle to under the springs. I removed 3 of the leaf springs from each side to soften the ride a little bit. Once I get things all together, then I can decide if I need to add any back in.

The wheel adapters wont be here for at least a week or so, but I have shot pictures of the trailer raised up to match the height it will be at when the tires are mounted. I have decided to use the original axle for now, but I might switch it out for a Dexter axle with electric brakes and the park brake option. The adapters that I am get would still have to be used no mater what to adapt to my JK wheels and bolt pattern.

picture.php

picture.php

The tongue will be replaced with a longer one that drops down to match up to the height that I will need for my JK to hook up to it, and be able to open my tail gate on reasonable bit of grade. I will need to be no lower than 21 inches and no higher that 27 inches. Plus I will make it extend and removable. I should get the metal for this by the end of the week. Still need to order my mult-axis hitch and Tongue tool box.

I have given all my dimensions for the top to a metal fab company, and hope to receive a quote on that very soon. Here is the drawing I did for them.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

RJ40

Adventurer
Nice drawing on that top. Are you going for steel, aluminum or a combination?

Cheers!

loki646

Observer
I wondered who ended up with this one. I considered it, but couldn't make the trip back to the Hoosier State...Good Luck with the build.

WF-Wagrub

Good Start! Keep the pictures comming.

What size tubing will you use for the tongue? Just curious because I just re-worked my trailer and ended up with a 'Lock-n-Roll' which I won't be using. The one that I have is for a 3" square tube and has a 3" drop/raise(the swivel sits just below/above the tube). I also have the mating vehicle end, which I would consider selling along with the Trailer end.
If you can use it, drop me a PM and we'll work out a $ & shipping (NC).

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Are you going to do anything with your lid to accommodate for the round lip of the trailer and the square surface of the lid?

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Nice drawing on that top. Are you going for steel, aluminum or a combination?

Cheers!

Thanks.
Aluminum would be nice, but I don't have the proper equipment to weld it. And combining steel with aluminum can cause corrosion problems. So, I am planning to do it all out of 14 gauge steel and then I will be making a cargo rack on the top of it out of 1inch x 1inch square tubing. With all the bends and the rack, it should be very rigid. So far, I plan to hing it at the front.

At the moment, we are planning to use 2 sheets, and putting a seam down the center. This will help keep the fab cost down by allowing them to do the bends on 2 separate sheets, and then getting the final width correct by seaming. Which will mean a tighter finished fit too. The seam will help some with the rigidity. I may have to put a 1 inch square tubing in the center, side to side, to tie the sides together, but we will see.

When the top is done, I will be using bed liner spray on it, this will match my Jeep hard top some, and it should hide the seam pretty good.

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Are you going to do anything with your lid to accommodate for the round lip of the trailer and the square surface of the lid?

I had considered putting a square edge on the trailer, but since the round edge is undamaged, I will be using it. I do plan to us some type of rubber/foam seal on the lid, and have that come down against the round lip.

I was thinking about using some silicon on the inside corner of the lid, kinda forming it into a curved corner before I put the rubber/foam seal on. This would make it have a little more contact surface.

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Good Start! Keep the pictures comming.

What size tubing will you use for the tongue? Just curious because I just re-worked my trailer and ended up with a 'Lock-n-Roll' which I won't be using. The one that I have is for a 3" square tube and has a 3" drop/raise(the swivel sits just below/above the tube). I also have the mating vehicle end, which I would consider selling along with the Trailer end.
If you can use it, drop me a PM and we'll work out a $ & shipping (NC).

I will take a look at the Lock-n-roll hitches and maybe get back to you, I was planning on the max coupler from Adventure Trailer, but still planning

Tight_wad

Adventurer
I wondered who ended up with this one. I considered it, but couldn't make the trip back to the Hoosier State...Good Luck with the build.

He had told me that someone out of state was interested. It was a great deal, the pictures didn't do it enough justice for how good a condition it is in. All the regular bolts and u-bolts were able to be removed with hand tools and no penetrating oil. I was amazed! Sorry you had to miss out. My luck!

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Today I played with a bunch of cardboard boxes and made a mock up of what the tongue assembly might look like. Not finished with it yet, but think I have it about right. This tongue assembly is 24 inches longer than the original one that came on it. The box is a small storage for I don't know yet, still thinking about that. I was planning on putting a tongue storage box on it also.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

What do you guys ( or gals ) think?

telwyn

Adventurer
Nice mock up. I'm not even sure my fab skills are good enough for cardboard!

Look forward to hearing the estimate you get to build the lid...

loki646

Observer
Looks good so far, though I seen on another forum, where a guy extended his 416 tongue to far(not sure of the measurement) and it messed up his CG. But I think yours still looks close enough to original that you should be fine. Hopefully mine will be getting its new tongue this weekend. Sunday I'll probably post up my build to date. I have a July deadline and only get Saturdays to work on it.....Good luck and great deal again!:victory:

Tight_wad

Adventurer
My deadline is July too, but I would like to have it done and tow it around a bit before then. I am pushing for the end of May. That way, if I decide to go with a electric brake axle, I will have more than enough time to switch it out.

What are people using for jacks on the tongue? Swivel, quick pin removable, or weld? I have not been able to find anything yet that I like.

Multi-axis hitches? I was thinking that I wanted to be able to extend the tongue in certain situations, but the only one that I have found is this:

Lock-n-Roll, model 410
discription:
(P/N 410) Coupler on 2-1/2" OD x 2" ID Sq.Tube
16,000 lb Gross Trailer Weight
This coupler can slide over a 2" square tube or into a 3" square tube provided the wall thickness is less than 1/4" thick.

picture.php

Are there any others that can be welded to a longer tube like this one? I like the design of the AT model Max coupler, but it comes with the 2" tube already attached, from what I can tell.

picture.php

Is it very important to be able to extend the tongue length?

Thanks all for the help

Last edited:

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Today I remeasured all of my parts to make my tongue assembly. Changed some of the design from my original working cardboard mock up. All parts have been drawn and giving to a local steel fab company for pricing of materials, welding will be my job.

Haven't heard from the first company yet on the lid, so I also gave this company a copy of the top that I want made. Besides, 2 prices is better then 1.

They said that I should know tomorrow. I can't wait!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven