Sequoia lifted w/tires and wheels!

Bandit9

Observer
I'm pretty sure you can fit 35's on the Sequoia. The only reason the OP went with 33's is bc he wanted to be able to fit a full size tire in the spare location under the rear.

stom_m3

Observer
I'm pretty sure you can fit 35's on the Sequoia. The only reason the OP went with 33's is bc he wanted to be able to fit a full size tire in the spare location under the rear.

That is correct. I wanted to be conservative with tire sizing. My goal was to be able to fit a full size spare in the well. Assuming I got a flat out in the middle of nowhere, I would probably need a comparable size, strength tire to get me back out. Also, my gas mileage has already taken a huge dump. I think I average city/hwy around 11.5mpg. That said, the front end is the same as the Tundra. Whatever you see being done on the Tundra will most likely work with the Sequoia. The rear though different from the Tundra has a ton of room.

Below are pics of the clearance turning the tires full left/right.
Picture of drivers tire turned full left inside rear. Plenty of clearance to the frame.

Picture of drivers tire turned full left outside rear (mud flap). 1" of clearance

Picture of drivers tire turned full right inside front (sway bar). Plenty of clearance.

Picture of passenger tire turned full left inside front (sway bar). Plenty of clearance.

Picture of passenger tire turned full right inside rear (frame). Plenty of clearance.

Picture of passenger tire turned full right outside rear (mud flap)

Bandit9

Observer
Few questions for you.
1. On the rear suspension, is the shock a straight bolt on? Mounts didn't need to be moved or anything? Easy job for a regular off road shop that does suspension lifts etc???

2. Did you ever find a skid plate for the fuel tank? What is your current situation on that? Need to have one fabbed? I might go in with you to have one fabbed to get a better price.

stom_m3

Observer
Few questions for you.
1. On the rear suspension, is the shock a straight bolt on? Mounts didn't need to be moved or anything? Easy job for a regular off road shop that does suspension lifts etc???

2. Did you ever find a skid plate for the fuel tank? What is your current situation on that? Need to have one fabbed? I might go in with you to have one fabbed to get a better price.

Hi Bandit9,

1. The rear shocks are very easy to bolt on/off. In fact, you can do it without jacking the car up. When I was dialing in the shocks at King Racing, I took them on and off multiple times in the parking lot. Only two bolts, one at each end. They slide on and off easily.

2. I have not made a skid plate for the fuel tank yet. I believe the Tundra has one though. I would imagine they could be shared. I haven't looked into it yet though. I'll let you know if I go back to the fab shop to get one made.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Your tire clearance at full lock doesn't account for suspension travel. I can see rubbing during flex and locked

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bandit9

Observer
Hi Bandit9,

1. The rear shocks are very easy to bolt on/off. In fact, you can do it without jacking the car up. When I was dialing in the shocks at King Racing, I took them on and off multiple times in the parking lot. Only two bolts, one at each end. They slide on and off easily.

2. I have not made a skid plate for the fuel tank yet. I believe the Tundra has one though. I would imagine they could be shared. I haven't looked into it yet though. I'll let you know if I go back to the fab shop to get one made.

Very good on the easy shock mounting.

Here is the Budbuilt skid plate for the fuel tank for the 07-15 Tundra. I'm going to email them and see if they have had anyone try it on a 2nd Gen Sequoia yet.
http://www.budbuilt.com/index.php?p...ategory_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=170

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
10457655_10152512024213307_5743649535004345135_o_zps8c1a57df.jpg

I realize this was almost a year ago and not about your truck but I was wondering if you had any recollections on how the Ford did, either in isolation or directly compared to your Sequoia? Would your friend happen to have a thread about his truck somewhere?

Thanks.

stom_m3

Observer
I realize this was almost a year ago and not about your truck but I was wondering if you had any recollections on how the Ford did, either in isolation or directly compared to your Sequoia? Would your friend happen to have a thread about his truck somewhere?

Thanks.

The Expedition did well. Outside of tires and lift, it's completely stock. He was looking into changing the final drive as the BIG weakness on the Expedition is the engine power and the 4 speed transmission. That said, the Expedition seemed to have an easier time over the really rough stuff than I did. It could have been the fact that I'm a little more sensitive to dents and dings than he is though. I'll get more information about some of the other issues he's had with it if your interested in knowing. We do about 2-3 trips per year and I talk to him often.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Thanks for your response. It is appreciated.

I'd be interested in hearing anything about the truck. Specifically how it stands up to the off-road usage. Fords have always struck me as being well screwed together and fairly rattle free over the long haul within reason. My XJ looks practically brand new inside but everything buzzes and rattles.

I take it he hasn't done anything for power, exhaust, intake, other bolt ons? Is his the 4.6 or 5.4?

Thanks.

ExpoExpedition

Thanks for your response. It is appreciated.

I'd be interested in hearing anything about the truck. Specifically how it stands up to the off-road usage. Fords have always struck me as being well screwed together and fairly rattle free over the long haul within reason. My XJ looks practically brand new inside but everything buzzes and rattles.

I take it he hasn't done anything for power, exhaust, intake, other bolt ons? Is his the 4.6 or 5.4?

Thanks.

Hi Root Moose!

I've been meaning to get a thread together about the Expedition for quite awhile now- I'll post something up this next weekend so I don't have to hijack stom_m3's thread :wings:

In short the truck has been great. I bought it with 40,000 miles- it now has 206,000 on the original 5.4L. It serves as a daily driver for us, hauling our four daughters around town and into remote locales.

I'll post under the Domestic Full-Size forum.

stom_m3

Observer
Back on the rack! This time for long awaited skid plates. I was originally going to just do the gas tank. But as I got under there, I figured I might as well protect the rear diff, oil pan, transmission pan, and transfer case too! From what he showed me, the transfer case hangs out there in the wind not protected between cross braces. Any leverage up on the transfer case from a rock would simply break the casting. If that happened, I'd be SOL in the middle of nowhere. Also, he mentioned that another common failure point is the attachment points to the lower A arms. Any contact with the inside pivot flanges and they bend inward potentially binding the joint. I'll post pics in a few days when it's done.

All this to prevent damage from this...

Last edited:

stom_m3

Observer
All plates are removable for servicing. They are screwed to a full steel frame above for strength. I'll post more pics once the job is completed. They still have to weld and add holes for the drain plugs. Plates are 1/4" aluminum plate screwed to fab steel sub frame.

Transfer case and transmission cover.

Front skid and lower A arm pivot support

Front skid and lower A arm pivot support

From the gas tank looking forward

Rear dif skid plate

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad