series 2, 88 camper

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy

Very cool rig. Unlike 109 Dormobiles and Carawagons, the top doesn't pop and all of the sleeping arrangements are within the vehicle itself. As I mentioned, that decreases your interior storage space somewhat and requires you to remove some gear before you go to sleep. In an undeveloped country, that may not be such a great idea.

Yeah, you can see the front of the tub was modified in that one too, to allow for front seat to fold down. The kitchen section wouldn't be too hard to duplicate, using RV or boat items and a little cabinetry work. Add a cot like TeriAnn and I mentioned and you'd have a similar setup without modification of the tub.

I'd still prefer the RTT route for overland travel.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I don't know much about much, and less about LR conversions, but related to the stretcher bunk approach, I noticed quite a while ago that the
Glen-L Van Conversion Plans site mentions that his plans cover 'pipe bunks.'

I'll bet that's the same idea, and it might be worth the $22 to see his thoughts on the subject.

65Dormie

I knew a guy in Vermont back in the 70's who did it somewhat. Not a full on Dormy conversion, but he did arrange a deck that sat on brackets on top of the tub. The part over the driving area folded back. He was living out of it while he was building a house up on a mountain.
Didn't take any pictures though, sorry.

If it is the same guy I am thinking of, he now lives in Virginia. Still has the yellow 88 and the 3cyl 2 stroke Saab.

PD

Yorker

Adventurer
The Achilles heel of a lifting top is the lack of insulation in the canvas area. This makes for a night morning interior that is about the same temperature as outside or a heater that is on almost all the time. A well insulated interior has an advantage in sub freezing camping.

That is simply the nature of the beast in cold weather- I mean the only alternatives is a fully insulated trailer or ambulance type body or a tent. Anyone who has "camped" in cold weather in a pop up or pop out trailer has probably experienced the same- you wake up and frost is everywhere.

With arctic tents they used to have an interior liner inside that made a gap of dead airspace between the liner and the tent itself- this produced some insulation but you still really needed to run the heater or stove all night to be warm.

telwyn

Adventurer
I saw this Serle Safari conversion listed at a place in Tennessee that might provide some inspiration.

http://tntlr.com/vehicle1/index.htm

I lived about 30 minutes away from that Rover shop from 03-05 and looked at that Rover once or twice in person. Basically the cushions all had some sort of flip down legs as I recalled it and you'd have to curl up in a tight fetal position to sleep back there. It looked REALLY tight.

They have some cool Rovers there but because of inflated pricing, most are still for sale from 2004 when I was last there in person.

Good luck with your build!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy