Series Rover Hunting.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
The Wife and I are looking to find a Series 88” right now and I have to say it’s a little tougher than I thought it would be. We have gone back and forth on what we have wanted and now have set on Selling out Wrangler but we want a SWB convertible for the weekend. I’m looking for a little of a project so it doesn’t have to run and Ill be putting what ever we end up gettin on a new frame so that’s not a problem ether. I’ve been hunting Craig list but there a lot of ground to cover (don’t mind driving to get it) and LRX as well with little luck. Were also not in a big hurry, we would rather get what we want then rush into one because its there. What areas of the country besides North Carolina and New Hampshire should we be looking? Also anyone know anything about the Land Rover Ranch, or how often dose the Rover Barn have Series Rover? Found a running 88” in New England for about $3,500 and that’s about the most I want to spend sense we will be getting a new galvanized frame.

Thanks

Nate

Wander

Expedition Leader
Dale (Rover Barn) doesn't really deal in Series trucks, his area is more in the Special Vehicles and ultra clean models of newer offerings. I think I bought the ladt series he had which came to him as part of a trade. Red Mountain Rovers in AL have the occasional series but they aren't focused on them. Often the Rovers North forum classified are a good source as is posting what you looking for there. Land Rover Exchange is also a place where series geeks will post their sale vehicles. The Series can be an cagey beast to track!

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
The Series that I have looked at buying, I found on RN. I have seen other websites, including the Land Rover Ranch in NM, on the internet but I cant remember their web addresses or company names. Also check the Atlantic British and DAP website classified ads. There is a recent thread about a Series III 88 lightweight for sale at Old English. That dealership may be an option. Also, Copely Motorcars in Boston carries Series, though his are usually restored. Autotrader has a classics website, that may be an option too.

Good luck.

PS, I completely forgot to mention d-90.com. You will find series for sale on their vehicles for sale section.

Last edited:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Buy the best one you can afford. The cheaper they are, the more expensive they get. Buying one with a galvy frame and good bulkhead already will save you a ton of money in shipping alone - bulky items are not cheap to ship. Usually when someone goes to the trouble of replacing a frame, they also replace a lot of small parts. That stuff can add up (ask me how I know). Usually people take a big hit when they sell a "project" vehicle- better them than you.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Yeah I have seen that one. Would love to buy it, But I wont able to get up there for a bit. Im a school teacher and the frown on takeing days off that are not on the calender.

You're looking a little pale lately, you sure your not coming down with the flu..????:ylsmoke:

meatblanket

Adventurer
You are more likely to get a rust free truck if you do your shopping in So. Cal or Arizona, New Mexico, or other arid environments.

The frame isn't the only thing that rots on these vehicles. If the frame on a Series Rover requires replacement, then the bulkhead (firewall) is going to need major work along with the door frames and various other parts. Spend the extra money to find one with as little rust as possible, and it will save you a great deal of cash and aggravation later on. Buying a rusty project is false economy.

I'd recommend searching for an unrestored, rust free truck. You won't find one in the eastern US.

jaygoss

I've always had good luck with LRX:

http://www.landroverexchange.com/

You can search by state, model, etc.

edit: woops..I see where you mentioned this in your post. Keep trying LRX and be patient. My first Series was a rust bucket from MA- I'd heed the advice of those suggesting you avoid Rovers on the East Coast.

Last edited:

achampagne

Explorer
I tried contacting that seller over a week go and have not heard back. :(

I saw this truck yesterday at DAP in Springfield VT, Its in a lot rougher shape that the ad leads to, and has starting issues. The body panels are banged up along the drivers side.

Charo

Observer
There are still some good ones out there to be found. I've been eyeing this one for several years and finally acquired it earlier this year. It's a good straight example with very little rust and from what I can tell is a Texas truck since new. It's a 1963 model with 1970 Texas plates on it. Not sure when it last ran, but I should have her back up and going soon!

Attachments

• IMG_0812.JPG
    IMG_0812.JPG
    896.2 KB · Views: 14

n_maher

Observer
I saw this truck yesterday at DAP in Springfield VT, Its in a lot rougher shape that the ad leads to, and has starting issues. The body panels are banged up along the drivers side.

I appreciate the heads up. From the lack of detail and price I'd sort of figured it to be a cosmetic resto candidate but one always hopes to have found a deal, especially a somewhat local one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven