Series2a spare wheels

Normbourne

Hi fellahs,

I'm considering mounting two spare wheels on the outboard side of two jerrycans across the rear of my vehicle.

At present it is only a thought, but it will be some time before do it, if i do it, on account of a massive rebuild currently underway.

My question is would this extra loading cause any problems in terms of steerin, road holding ability...?

All water & fuel supplies will be stored at low level, with no heavy items stored on the roof rack.

Thanks guys,

Norm.

tacr2man

Adventurer
Unless you mean longitudenly , its going to be pretty wide? Weight wise shouldnt be a problem re stability HTSH

LR Max

Local Oaf
Are you talking about bolting it to the side of the vehicle?

Yeah you are going to have to reinforce the crap out of the sides.

For the tires, if you REALLY want to carry two, throw one on the hood and the other on the back door. That'll do what you want and you can find stock hardware to do it.

However just carry one spare and get a Safety Seal plug kit and an air compressor. A lot more convenient, works, and takes up a lot less space. Oh and when you go on long trips with your other vehicle you can take it along.

MarkIIa

Observer
or carry one spare assembled on rim, and just a second carcass, which is a lot lighter weight so less of a problem on a roof rack, or can be strapped to the main spare if it is on the back door. Personally, I prefer to carry my spare on the bonnet of my Series and a second would go against the bulkhead in the back if I thought a second was absolutely critical (in an SWB no less)

Normbourne

That's exactly what I have in mind...! I don't want to carrying anything on top on account it compromising the centre of gravity.

I am concerned however, that this arrangement, together with a couple of jerry cans of fuel may affect the road holding and handling of the vehicle.

So lads, I would appreciate hearing from someone who has experience of this arrangement.

Thanks,

Norm.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
For a handleing question, we need more details. 88 or 109 and tire size.

there are front bumper jerry can mounts as well.

-Jeff

Normbourne

For a handleing question, we need more details. 88 or 109 and tire size.

there are front bumper jerry can mounts as well.

-Jeff

My vehicle is a series 2a 109, running 750X16 tyres. As I say, I intend to carry 2, 5 gallon jerrycans of fuel on the back, and as well the ability to provide the added security of of extra spares I feel it would provide some protection in the event of a rear end shunt.

Yes, as you mention I also intend to carry 2, jerry cans of water on the front. But as I say at present, I'm just checking out the feasibility of these mods.

Thanks,

Norm.

Normbourne

My vehicle is a series 2a 109, running 750X16 tyres. As I say, I intend to carry 2, 5 gallon jerrycans of fuel on the back, and as well the ability to provide the added security of of extra spares I feel it would provide some protection in the event of a rear end shunt.

Yes, as you mention I also intend to carry 2, jerry cans of water on the front. But as I say at present, I'm just checking out the feasibility of these mods.

Thanks,

Norm.

I forgot to mention that I have replaced the chassis with an Australian Army chassis with the net result that it has rasised the vehicle by about 2 inches. This may have some bearing on the matter.

Norm.

MarkIIa

Observer
Body type? Wagon versus styleside ute versus traytop ute versus hardtop will have some bearing on it too.
Still have the scone cutters on the back of your 109? If so, use them for jerry cans, spare on back door or in tub and one on bonnet, then water inside the vehicle.
Do you have a second fuel tank under the passenger side? If not, that could net you an extra 10 or 16 imperial gallons.
If you don't have a wagon, then you could get a fuel tank from one to fit between the chassis rails at the rear ala Defenders.

Normbourne

Wagon type, yes extra fuel tank under passenger seat, no rear door, built in water tank behind seat, storage
drawer between wheel wells, the top of which, serves as sleeping platform.

The reason behind these mods is that I want to be equipped for extended off road, off track, travels in the deserts of south Australia.

Thanks,

Norm.

MarkIIa

Observer
Hi Norm,
You may want to post the same query on AULRO.com as that is where a lot of local knowledge of Series Landies can be found.

Rijidij Offroad does a twin swing away carrier for spares on Defenders, it'll likely work just fine on a Series too. I have his single spare wheel carrier on my civillian One Ten and it is a great bit of kit.
-Mark

Normbourne

Hi Norm,
You may want to post the same query on AULRO.com as that is where a lot of local knowledge of Series Landies can be found.

Rijidij Offroad does a twin swing away carrier for spares on Defenders, it'll likely work just fine on a Series too. I have his single spare wheel carrier on my civillian One Ten and it is a great bit of kit.
-Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that, I'd never heard of "Rijidij Offroad" it's good to know that one can get the gear for home construction.

So I just need to to make sure that I'm not building an uncontrolable monster. I will take your advice and post on aulro and get a range of opinions from the lads.

Thanks again

Norm.

tacr2man

Adventurer
Being a 11a your headlamps will be in the grill , so carrying the jerrycans on the front , in front of the wings will work well , you will need to raise the sidelights and indicators to the top edge of the wing, LR used to do a kit to do just his probably NLA . I had a diesel many many years ago with front capstan winch and 4 cans on front behind a home made bull bar, and spare on bonnet. It had HD front springs.
The sw rear tank can be fitted to hardtop versions if you use a different rear exhaust, and there is possibility to fit tank under drivers seat , there are quite a few tanks about that hold 16 gallons in Australia , if you look around out of use landies. i also fitted a tank under the passenger seat , and moved batteries to centre . Thre is not really enough room at rear to fit two spares and two cans . Two cans and a rear door spare more likely . Load wise a series will handle the road without any real problems , just remember your legal requirement not to overload by going above makers limit. HTSH

Normbourne

Being a 11a your headlamps will be in the grill , so carrying the jerrycans on the front , in front of the wings will work well , you will need to raise the sidelights and indicators to the top edge of the wing, LR used to do a kit to do just his probably NLA . I had a diesel many many years ago with front capstan winch and 4 cans on front behind a home made bull bar, and spare on bonnet. It had HD front springs.
The sw rear tank can be fitted to hardtop versions if you use a different rear exhaust, and there is possibility to fit tank under drivers seat , there are quite a few tanks about that hold 16 gallons in Australia , if you look around out of use landies. i also fitted a tank under the passenger seat , and moved batteries to centre . Thre is not really enough room at rear to fit two spares and two cans . Two cans and a rear door spare more likely . Load wise a series will handle the road without any real problems , just remember your legal requirement not to overload by going above makers limit. HTSH

I think I will be advised and install a rear tank..! In terms of Jerry cans, the most I could reasonably carry would be 10 gallon, whereas I've heard that 18 gallon tanks are available for installation to the rear off the chassis..!

I've already fitted a 16 gallon tank to both the driver side and the passenger side, so if I can locate an 18 gallon, rear mount tank, that should increase my range accordingly.

It now sounds as though the dual spare carrier is a feasible modification.

Thanks guys one and all for your advice, comments and interest.

Norm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333