shansen M101 build

KA5IVR

Observer
The structure is welded together, the only thing that will be riveted would be the skin.

Any thoughts about offering it in a Kit Form? Some of us could weld the Alum. Structure ourselves and Skin it ourselves.

Just a thought... Maybe offer Kits with different levels of completeness? Just pieces for the DIY guy, Welded Frame only, Frame plus the Skin, Whole complete Top...

shansen

Observer
Things moved a little slower this week than hoped; more time spent on the bumper than the lid. Finished welding several of the spots on the lid and putting in the supports for the handles, also got the hinge rivited to the trailer tub and the lid. Also picked up the gas struts for next week. Skin should be going on mid-next week, will get more posted as that is done.

One picture of the lid mounted to the trailer below, more to come!

Attachments

• iPhone 034.jpg
    iPhone 034.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 358

shansen

Observer
Going slow at this point, the large aluminum skin is sitting at another shop waiting for its turn on the bending machine.
All the parts are waiting, so when it is ready it will be a quick finish.

mcasms

416 Lid

Going slow at this point, the large aluminum skin is sitting at another shop waiting for its turn on the bending machine.
All the parts are waiting, so when it is ready it will be a quick finish.

I'd definitely be interested in a lid for my 416, let me know when it's finished so I could check it out, also what would it cost?

Thanks, MCA:costumed-smiley-007:sombrero:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
design idea...?

Pictures!

I'm a little more than curious as to how this pans out myself. So your going to sell these lids? I may be in line then if I can set a plan for my Bantam trailer build.
I have some thoughts and questions about yours so far if you don't mind.?.
First is something someone else alluded to..why so many supports? The truss design is a proven strength adder in itself...I was just wondering if maybe reducing those to say...3 or 4 would'nt shave even a little more weight and cost? Maybe make two end ones and leave the two "inside" ones able to slide back and forth so a customer can place them where he wants them for stuff like RTTs, Kiyaks, whatever..? Mabe a clamp or ball pin to secure it once in place? That would add adjustability and strength where each need applies?
Also, and this is something I'm playing with on my own...how about making the center of the trusses "hallow"...sorry, hard to explain, so something like a full length drawer on sliders could be in there? Maybe pulls out the back? Could add a couple of stabilizer legs and a lid for the drawer and have a sort of "deck" or porch for a RTT?
Not sure how much, if any, of these thoughts could work on my own trailer as the Bantam has a factory tailgate. But these were randumb ideas I had and since I like your idea...wanted to share? I'm subscribing now...:elkgrin:

shansen

Observer
Skin is back and all bent according to plan, added some diamond plate just on the corners to give it some strength (against taking hits on trees, etc). Handles are made, everything coming together. Will get some pictures up hopefully sooner than later and update costs and other questions.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
The "Chant" begins...

PICTURES
PICTURES
PICTURES
PICTURES
PICTURES
PICTURES
PICTURES
PICTURES
PICTURES