Shopping for a Van

OGL

Observer
I started this thread in Domestics so please forgive if this looks lije a double post...

Hey all!

I usually spend my time here on the Trailer forums but lately it seems our family is moving up into the van category. I'd love to jump right into a converted E350 4x4 with 7.3 but that might be unrealistic at this stage. I'm not married to any brand but my impression is that Ford has pretty much hit the mark. I'd consider other brands if there was a compelling argument. But for simplicity, Ford is probably my first choice.

This van will be the primary family vehicle serving many duties. Kids, dogs, toys and gear with a road trip likely once a month even in winter. (read light camper duties) I don't need finished luxury. I'd definitely consider a used commercial van that I can build to suit my needs.

I'm trying to narrow down which model. I've read the reviews, I'm hoping for real world feedback. Is there a big difference when choosing e150, 250 or 350? Is it prudent to look at a cheaper 150 and beef up with 350 parts?

The reviews for the new Transit are glowing. But does it hold up with real use? Too soon to tell?

edit: I am willing to go new or recent used to hedge my bets on reliability. But maximizing my dollar is important. Yes, I know e series is discontinued.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
This is the perfect van. Yes, more expensive, but has the 5R110 trans, 6.8L V-10, up-fitter switches, side cargo doors, XLT interior and power everything. If you plan to do a 4wd conversion in the future, this is a perfect candidate. Only downside is the RSC (roll stability control) will add to the cost of the front axle, but you will save money by not having to pull the trans to swap the 4wd output shaft and tail housing. (4 speed autos need to be pulled and taken apart)

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/656542741/overview/

Better color, but with slider. Rare to find one with no rear seats, but this gives you options.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/651696268/overview/

If you like the older style front end and interior, then I would look for a Chateau. This one is a good family hauler, and rare color.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/645406728/overview/#4

... Or you can go all out.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/625507723/overview/

Last edited:

ert01

Adventurer
The general consensus here will be to stick with the E350 chassis rather than the 150 or 250 just due to the weight limitations of the lighter chassis vans.

You also get some better engine options in the 250 and 350 vans than in the 150.

I wouldn't consider a van that has an engine smaller than the 5.4. If you're going to tow anything, I'd look towards the 6.8 or any of the diesels.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
As for "any of the diesels"...
Just say NO to the 6.0 Powerstroke, unless you have an unlimited budget and don't mind getting stuck on the side of the road or spending countless hours at a mechanic's shop.

OGL

Observer
So the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked...Is there a 350 Super Duty and 350 NON Super Duty?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Biggest difference between the 150 250 & 350 are the engine options but most of the late model vans have very little difference. Just did a 2013 E150 with 8 lugs and 3" wide springs, earlier models will be 5 lug with 2.5" springs.

Like Brad said, anything with the 5R110 is a great and can be converted to 4wd while in the van. From 05 all of the V10's have it as well as all 6.0's. 5.4 vans are much easier to find for a good price but have the smaller 4R75 transmission. Yes, anything with the RSC system needs our axle upgrade to keep everything happy. Its worth the $ though since it also comes with the big 14.5" brake rotors, 35 spline stub shafts and serviceable wheel bearings.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
So the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked...Is there a 350 Super Duty and 350 NON Super Duty?

Not really, just find a van that meets your needs. Cargo vs pass, regular vs extended body, etc.

OGL

Observer
Thanks all!

For Bbasso, when searching online ads I saw e350 vans listed sometimes just as e350, sometimes as Super Duty. I wasn't sure if the SD added some particular components. So it appears that anything 350 is Super Duty...interchangeably.

Funny side note, I grew up in the back of my dad's work van. My seat was a 5 gal bucket upside down. Unsecured gear rolling all over. Uninsulated bare walls. My wife doesn't see the romance in buying a commercial van and finishing it like I do. Lots of great pics all over Expedition Portal are slowly winning her over.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
To be honest, I always thought an E350 was an E350 lol.
Some were called Club Wagons, some called superduty and cargo vans... I'm sure there is a difference between them but I'm clueless.
As mentioned earlier find one that fits your needs and budget then do as you want.

i like to say to buy the best example of what it is you want that you can afford.

i went light duty, 06, e150, 4.6l but it'll be fine for my needs, which is desert/coastal camping and taking my dual sport out. no plans for 4wd, probably a small 2wd lift and a trac-loc added to the rear diff.

ert01

Adventurer
They can be bad if they're in OEM form. Once you take the time (and spend the money) to go through and bullet-proof them, they can be really decent engines with lots of power and respectable mpg's. The trouble is that bullet-proofing a 6.0 while the engine is in the van can be hard if not impossible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater