Should I get a Trooper?

xman

Observer
I was planning on upgrading my 02 Sequoia 4x4 as an expedition vehicle but the lack of aftermarket parts changed my mind. I am looking for a 95-97 Land Cruiser and so far they are too expensive ($13,000+ avg in Southern California) or in poor condition.:mad: I am still looking.

My buddy who travels a lot and goes hunting throughout the states and said that I should look at the Trooper. He said that he rented one about six years ago to hunt in Montana and that the Trooper's 4x4 system was best 4x4 he ever drove offroad. That statement got me thinking.

I am not here to start a war between Troopers versus Land Cruisers. I have seen a few Troopers advertsied in some local car auctions and they are priced under $3000 with 120,000 miles. I am not sure if they are salvage vehicles but the price has me looking.

My question is what should I look for in a Trooper. What are the best model years? How's the aftermarket for Troopers? What's a good price for a Trooper?

Thanks for any advice!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I would look for a 95 - 02 Trooper, preferably 98-99 model years with out the TOD system. 00 and up years TOD was standard, it was optional in 98 & 99 and a rare find on 98 models, more common on 99's. If you do not want the oil burning issues of the early 3.5L v6 then you want to go with an 01 or 02. Also, look for one with the G80 LSD. You can tell this by looking at the plaque in the engine bay on the drivers side, it is clearly stamped "G80", and this will pretty much eliminate the need for a locker in the rear. Now, I may be a bit biased, as I love my Trooper, but it has never let me down, gotten me over any obstacale I have asked it to go over, and it does it all with out complaining. If you are looking for a great review of the Trooper, go to Scott's site at www.expeditionswest.com and check out his review on there. That should pretty much some it all up for you there.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I would go for a 2002 because they figured out the oil consumption issue -- not a big deal if you check it periodically, but whose to say the previous owner did. The TOD is nice to have on roads where a part time system won't really work and can be over ridden with about $50 in parts and an afternoon of work (I've been told, have not yet done so myself, maybe next week). Also, the seats are much nicer on the newer ones, I think 2000 and later.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
datrupr said:
Also, look for one with the G80 LSD. You can tell this by looking at the plaque in the engine bay on the drivers side, it is clearly stamped "G80", and this will pretty much eliminate the need for a locker in the rear. .
G80 as in the same G80 from the GM line up the Gov Lock aka Grande Locker?

I am aware of the GM ties but I thought the Troopers and Rodeo's were running Dana 44's in the rear and a Dana sourced Limited slip. Did they start using the GM 10 bolt axle for the rear?

Great for a street driven truck and I guess it would be fine for the type of exploring we do but for down and dirty spinning tires on rocks to heat them up and slinging mud.....Errrrrr they didn't get the Name Granade locker for nothing! When the go they go big and take the rest of the axle with it.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I think they are different, just based on the comments I have heard about each.

Front axle is a 10 bolt, previously found on Isuzu rears, and rear axle is a 12-bolt. I think both are Isuzu design and both are over built. The Rodeos use a Dana 44.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
The rear on the Troopers is a Dana 44 but it uses the same GM G80 LSD. I have not heard of any of them grenading though. Could be? The late model Rodeo's also use the Dana 44's. The 10 bolt front's are also rock solid on these trucks.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
datrupr said:
The rear on the Troopers is a Dana 44 but it uses the same GM G80 LSD. I have not heard of any of them grenading though. Could be? The late model Rodeo's also use the Dana 44's. The 10 bolt front's are also rock solid on these trucks.
http://www.gatago.com/alt/trucks/chevy/19639716.html

It may be fine in the trooper even if its the same. V6 vs. a V8 and a lighter vehicle.

I had one in my 79 K5 with a healthy 350 and a TH350 that was a real neck snapper if you had your foot in it. I never had a problem with it But I was aware of the reputation and kept my right foot in check. I have seen them go and almost every time the truck left on a wrecker because the housing cracked when it busted the carrier.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Grim Reaper said:
TH350 that was a real neck snapper if you had your foot in it.

Sir, you can accuse the V6 in the Trooper of many things, but neck snapping acceleration is most certainly not on of them. It is what I call a Shakespeare engine -- sounds of fury signifying nothing. :shakin:

DBS311

Adventurer
Let's hold on a sec here. You guys with the Troopers don't know what you have! The rear is not a Dana 44. A Dana 44 would be a downgrade compared to what comes from the factory. The '98-'02 Trooper rear axle is a monster. 9.61" ring gear (larger than Dana 60) and stock 23 spline 1.5" axles!

Last edited:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
DBS311 said:
Let's hold on a sec here. You guys with the Troopers don't know what you have! The rear is not a Dana 44. A Dana 44 would be a downgrade compared to what comes from the factory. The '98-'02 Trooper rear axle is a monster. 9.61" ring gear (larger than Dana 60) and stock 23 spline 1.5" axles!

http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

D60 is 9.75

The GM small semi Floating 14 is lites as 9.5. I have heard people say it is a little bit bigger then it's listed size but GM lists it as 9.5. The BIG full floater 14 thats in my Suburban is 10.5 ring.

I wonder if the Trooper is running the SF14 or a variation of it. That would definatly explain the G80 option.

I am really shocked to hear the trooper is running that big of an axle. That's 3/4 ton size as far as GM is concerned.

DBS311

Adventurer
Grim Reaper, thanks for the correction.

In my head I was comparing the axle shaft diameter and for some reason when I typed it out, I accidentally said the ring gear was larger.

This rear axle is very beefy for its application in the Trooper. It is one of the reasons I think the Trooper is such a good candidate for an expedition vehicle. You can run 32"-33" tires and load the truck up with gear and have no worries of breakage.

Last edited:

jrsteffes

Adventurer
I have enjoyed my new to me Trooper for the past few months and would recomend one! My only complaint is a very slight oil leak which I have yet to locate the source. Mines a '02 with 61K miles and seems to be very capable.

xman

Observer
The oil burning issue in the 98-99 Troopers is that part of the engine design for top end lubrication or an inherent engine problem? have seen a lot of Troopers in the low 100's and was wondering how durable are their engines. What should I look for?

Last edited:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
It is an inherent engine problem. Basically there is not enough room for oil to drain back off the cylinders so it gets pushed out. There is also a rumor that the oil pickup tube for the #1 cylinder is too short. Who knows, some have problems, some don't.

Mine went out about at 90,000 miles for the previous owner. According to him he checked the oil when he left Moab and all was fine, 600 miles later he was down 3.5 quarts and I think he seized the engine. It sounds outlandish, but I've heard many similar stories. You see a lot of Troopers for sale with new engines, so I think the problem was wide spread. Either that or it burned about a quart every thousand miles and the owners never checked their oil.

As far as transmissions, I don't think you have much of a choice. If you find an older one, you have a fighting shot of a manual, otherwise you are stuck with an automatic. This is my first automatic and I can't say I'm all that thrilled with it, but it wasn't a deal breaker either. If you want a large SUV (Trooper, Land Cruiser, etc.) they are pretty much par for the course. I don't think you even get a choice until you get down in size to Xterras, in which case the 6-speed manual is pretty nice.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Your hear a lot of stories about the 3.5's blowing the engines due to the oile consumption, and you hear a lot of people who say they have had no such issues. When I first bought my Trooper I had no idea about the oil problem until I took it into the shop to have the starter replaced, and my mechanic told me that the oil was not even registering on the dip stick. I ended up putting 4 quarts of oil into it. It still runs great, but I do keep an eye on the oil level. It will burn more oil on the freeway or when towing or under load than in city driving, but check it at every fill up, and always keep an extra quart or two with you in the truck and you should have no problems. I now have about 130K on the odo, and the only problem I have had was the failed starter at around 100K. Very solid and reliable IMO. You could get a manual in 98 & 99, but very rare. I looked for a manual for months but could not find one, so I settled for the auto. Again no problems. I think if you decide to go the Trooper route you will not be dissapointed, just keep an eye on your oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk