Should I get a Trooper?

xman

Observer
My brother told me that he found in his neighbor a 2001 Trooper 4x4 with a manual tranny, 3.5 engine and has about 75,000 miles. Sounds good. What's a fair price?

Last edited:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure. Take a look at the blue book sites, but at least in Colorado they are selling at or above the high end of the range. The problem is there really isn't anything comparable to them for direct competition. Land Cruisers are bigger and every thing else is between a little and a whole lot smaller. The values were depressed for a long time because Consumer Reports branded them as unsafe, but now people are looking for a truck that is a little bigger than an Xterra, smaller than a Land Cruiser and more reasonably priced than a 4Runner and you are down to three choices: Pathfinder, Trooper and Montero. If on-road performance is the most important, buy the Pathfinder (in fairness it is much higher in price than a Trooper). If off road performance is more important, buy the Trooper.

The Consumer Reports deal was so long ago that people shopping for cars now don't remember it, so the price of the Troopers is rising to the level of the other, or at least the Pathfinder.

For 75,000 in good shape, if you can get it for about $7,000 I would consider it a good deal. Pay close attention to the brakes (including sticking calipers), CV boots, signs of over heating, and general seals. Plan on upgrading shocks and rear springs (or at least shocks), ball joints and tie rods.

xman

Observer
I just spoke with the seller and it's a 2001 has a manual tranny, says excellent condition, no mech problems, has the G80 lsd, TOD,always garaged and never off road. Wants to sell because just bought a new sports car. I smell a good deal.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Sweet! I did not think you could get anything past a 99 with a manual because they were all TOD, and manuals were just not very poular on SUV's of that caliber in this country. If it is true, then by all means then jump on it. For an 01 I would say around $9-$12K would be fair depending on condition. I would have to see the manual (or at least hear it from you) to beleive it though. and with an 01 you would not have the severe oil consumption of the earlier model 3.5's. Keep us posted.

xman

Observer
I was going to check out the Trooper this morning but a Land Cruiser I had made an offer on a few days ago came back into the picture. The seller (original owner) decided that my offer was fair and it looks I will get my Land Cruiser tomorrow. It has lockers, well cared for, no rust, never off road, and a complete service history.

The other factor is that there's a huge aftermarket for Land Cruisers and a lot of Land Cruiser clubs in California.

xman

Observer
The LC I checked out on Sunday is pending a pre-vehicle inspection after I found that the front,rear and center diff locks are not working. It appears the seller is making excuses that he can't take his LC to a mechanic I have selected for the inspection. It looks like I may have to pass on this LC.

I might take a look at the 01 Trooper this weekend. I have pics of the Trooper and it looks great. I was concerned about the future of Isuzu but it looks like Toyota likes them. Click the link below.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/11/07/027869.html

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Xman, a bit an an addendum to our PM chats, I've come to the conclusion that the Trooper is about as big of a truck as you can get that still feels relatively small. I watched someone yesterday trying to position a Land Cruiser in a parking spot at the gym and it made me appreciate the Trooper a bit more.

xman

Observer
I saw a few Troopers on the freeway today and they looked very nice. By the way, I am tempted to just get a Trooper and forget the LC.

Last edited:

jrsteffes

Adventurer
I continue to enjoy my Trooper. I too was a bit worried about the oil use problems but have not experienced any oil use since my purchase. Ive put 2,500 miles on mine and all is well. It is a '02 and from what I have read the problems with oil use were fixed sometime during the '01 model year. I like the size, capablity, and style of these vehicals and there value to a off-road minded individual is far greater than there price (In my opinion). I had hoped for modifications to increase its capablities, but honestly now I am mainly focused on my camping/adventure gear because the vehical is highly capable in stock form. Looks like the first mod I will put on mine is a roof rack so my canoe will continue to find its way to the river! I cant wait for some snow so I can put the TOD systems to the test. Also with the auto trans you get a winter mode but it appears to just start the vehical in 2nd gear.

Get a TROOPER.........you'll enjoy it!

xman

Observer
I will checkout some Troopers this weekend and was wondering is there any advantage in getting a Trooper with a manual versus an auto transmission. Are manuals more reliable, easier to repair,etc?

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Unless you are really opposed to getting an auto, I would look for the truck that is in the best shape and take whatever transmission comes on it. I prefer manuals, but that is just me.

Manuals also are much easier to repair and are lower maintenance.

cruiser guy

Explorer
xman said:
I will checkout some Troopers this weekend and was wondering is there any advantage in getting a Trooper with a manual versus an auto transmission. Are manuals more reliable, easier to repair,etc?

I prefer manuals over automatics for many reasons. The two you listed are high on the list. Other reasons are that IF one gear "goes out" you CAN still drive. That HAS happened to me and I drove from Mazatlan to Vancouver with only 3rd and 4th. With an auto I would have been dead in Mazatlan until it was repaired (not a good thing with a vehicle not sold or supported in Mexico). I have seen too many folks DOA due to overheated auto trannys (probably 3-4 friends that I know personally in the last 4-5 years). We had a roll over a few months ago and were able to right the truck but because it was automatic and we had lost about a gallon of ATF we still had to walk out. With a standard we could have driven out and if need be used engine oil in the tranny without incurring a huge bill later.

That's my 2 cents!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk