Show us your things that flip/fold/slide/pop or otherwise open out/up

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Thanks everyone, Wothehallizat seems to be carrying this thread for the time being so I'll see if I have any more pics of stuff that opens and closes :)

It looks as though you can do the same with the sides that you did with the rear though, yes?
Nope, I was planning to do it on the sides as well but it adds a lot of weight to a shutter and I couldn't think of a good way to have it deployable from inside. With the rear I go out onto the deck to open it. That rear window is about 7x2 feet in size so that's enough really, plus there's skylight in the roof over the lounge.

the advantages of a totally sealable ali exterior would be many I am sure.
Yes, to my mind anyway. Apart from not worrying about scratching the $600 windows we like to look like a truck and not a motorhome, that way we find we can camp in all sorts of places a Winnebago would get pinged.

I wonder if you could manage to stand the bike up on the rear tire so you could get around it to the deck.
I never thought of that but it would be much too long anyway, there's only about 1.5M headroom in the garage.

It would be a 4x2, and I would expect to use an 8-9 foot tall box.
Smaller truck, lower chassis, longer deck, it may all work out. But yes you may need to get creative with ramps, etc. We have friends that winch a Moke in the back, they only have ramps, no deck. They just pull the ramps out every time, see here http://hobohome.com/the_motorhome/moke_in_motorhome.php

It is interesting how lifestyle is now the factor holding me back rather than a few years ago when it was monitary concerns.
I'm the opposite these days, all the time in the world, plenty of ideas I'd like to put into place, but no money :(

long ramps about the width of a wheel on each side that slide out and hinge down. They aren't overly heavy and are fairly compact just slipping in under the floor. I could also see them being used as a traction aid for either vehicle if needed
Yes, as per the link above. You can get them in alloy these days, they are very light.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Yes, I was thinking about putting up a single shell of fiberglass. The easy way would be to build a thin shell out of thing plywood, and then coat it with the fiber and resin, of course a much more difficult way would be to make it without the wood. I presume that you use a wood shell with something that will not stick between it and the fiber and resin. If you used sheets of plastic or something. Then you can use the wood as a mold of sorts, and take the wood out after the shell is completed.

I suppose I could make ramps that when the deck is lowered out of the way, I could then use, but IMHO that would be a real pain to move the ramps into place and then back to their storage location. If I am still thinking on this line when it comes time to build I may reconsider. The alternative would be like a U-haul truck with the ramp in place under the truck, that you then just pull out. IN this case I would not be able to use the back door as a deck, as it would have to get out of the way to hook up the ramps. Hmmm

Brian

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
Yes, I was thinking about putting up a single shell of fiberglass. The easy way would be to build a thin shell out of thing plywood, and then coat it with the fiber and resin, of course a much more difficult way would be to make it without the wood. I presume that you use a wood shell with something that will not stick between it and the fiber and resin. If you used sheets of plastic or something. Then you can use the wood as a mold of sorts, and take the wood out after the shell is completed.

I suppose I could make ramps that when the deck is lowered out of the way, I could then use, but IMHO that would be a real pain to move the ramps into place and then back to their storage location. If I am still thinking on this line when it comes time to build I may reconsider. The alternative would be like a U-haul truck with the ramp in place under the truck, that you then just pull out. IN this case I would not be able to use the back door as a deck, as it would have to get out of the way to hook up the ramps. Hmmm

Brian

One advantage to using ramps is that you now also have bridging ladders.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
As to the FRP construction with ply, you seal the ply mold, and use a product called mold release. It's pretty expensive and time consuming for a one-off. Also, for smaller molds, I have had good success using Johnson's paste wax as a release...

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

theburtseoni

Observer
Rob Gray has inspired more builds (and 'pipe dream' builds :ylsmoke:) then most folks around.
His first build with the fold down rear deck inspired me to add the folding back porch to my first build on the 5-ton 6X6 ex-military 813 truck.
Rob, I know you like your second build better for many good reasons, but your first build will always rule! :wings:

MVC-004S.JPGMVC-011S.JPG

Attachments

• MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

shachagra

Adventurer
Hard sided van topper with sliding bed

Built this for a friend last year.

Attachments

• DSC05742.jpg
    DSC05742.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1942.jpg
    IMG_1942.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1941.jpg
    IMG_1941.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1939.jpg
    IMG_1939.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1686.JPG
    IMG_1686.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 154

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
It's pretty expensive and time consuming for a one-off.
Yes I'm thinking that would be the case, worth the effort if you plan to do a few. Also I'm sure there are many gotchas for someone who's never used glass before.

Rob, I know you like your second build better for many good reasons, but your first build will always rule!
Thanks, Mk1 was certainly a weapon that's for sure :) I love your truck, same size as ours it seems, you can do a lot with a 5-ton payload. I got mine upped to 14t gross, that's 8.5t payload and on singles :)

I find a deck is very useful then the ground is crap, ie long grass, mud etc. You can comfortably sit "outside" without worrying about that stuff.

@shachagra, that is epic, really clever design. So I guess the bedroom folds down then slides in, then the main part folds on top of it. How do you block up the end (where your toes are)?

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
The alternative would be like a U-haul truck with the ramp in place under the truck, that you then just pull out. IN this case I would not be able to use the back door as a deck, as it would have to get out of the way to hook up the ramps.
I dunno, the ramps could be used as support for the deck if say half pulled out. And for the vehicle you remove the ramps, lower the deck to the ground and replace the ramps with one end say halfway up the deck. Maybe the ramps hook closer to the top of the deck to reduce the ramp-over, you'd have to play with the angles but it might work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater