Show us your Toyota 4runner, tacoma or truck.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Black Rock Desert and High Rock Canyon NW Nevada

My wife and I almost went there back in April! Your pictures make me want to get it back on the trip schedule ASAP. There isn't a whole lot of info on that area. Would you mind sharing your route, or parts of it in a pm? Also, any washed out roads we should be aware of? Awesome pics!

BlairB

Observer
My wife and I almost went there back in April! Your pictures make me want to get it back on the trip schedule ASAP. There isn't a whole lot of info on that area. Would you mind sharing your route, or parts of it in a pm? Also, any washed out roads we should be aware of? Awesome pics!

+1. I would love to get that as well!

CMiller

Adventurer

+1. I would love to get that as well!

I highly recommend getting out there. I planned a loop starting from the north side of Black Rock and ran down the eastern edge. We met up with the Applegate Pioneer trail and followed it back across the Black Rock playa and onto the High Rock Canyon. Go here for the best info online: http://blackrockdesert.org/brochures/

No big washouts that we impassable. But the stretch of trail from Double Hot Springs to High Rock Canyon had many small washes that you really had to go slow through, lots of "gotchas" if you weren't paying attention. I'll send a google earth KMZ file from my APRS on my HAM. Not too accurate but enough to get the picture. I found the DeLorme for Nevada worked the best.

Last edited:

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
I highly recommend getting out there. I planned a loop starting from the north side of Black Rock and ran down the eastern edge. We met up with the Applegate Pioneer trail and followed it back across the Black Rock playa and onto the High Rock Canyon. Go here for the best info online: http://blackrockdesert.org/brochures/

No big washouts that we impassable. But the stretch of trail from Double Hot Springs to High Rock Canyon had many small washes that you really had to go slow through, lots of "gotchas" if you weren't paying attention. I'll send a google earth KMZ file from my APRS on my HAM. Not too accurate but enough to get the picture. I found the DeLorme for Nevada worked the best.

Thanks for the info Chris, I'm hoping to visit in the fall. Given its a desert with extremes fall and late spring are the best seasons I think. One of the reasons we did not go in April was the High Rock Canyon trail doesn't open until mid May.

CMiller

Adventurer
Thanks for the info Chris, I'm hoping to visit in the fall. Given its a desert with extremes fall and late spring are the best seasons I think. One of the reasons we did not go in April was the High Rock Canyon trail doesn't open until mid May.

I timed our trip to catch High Rock Canyon on the day that the gate opened and we did!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Recent trip to moab.

f39ef7f45b34198dfb00912b1bcdaa20.jpg

https://vimeo.com/170394728

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online