show us your truck bed trailers

loren85022

Explorer
I like the van - what are the specs? Is it 4x4??

The van is an 08 5.4l with a Quigley 4wd. The trailer tucks in right behind. Tows almost too easy.

Sent from my iToaster

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336738862.562977.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336738862.562977.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 2,119

Devin W

Observer
Mine is similar to Elmo's in that it is also a utility bed turned trailer. It's still very much a work-in-progress, but as of now features air-ride suspension, onboard (hot)water, 12V/120V power, 60QT Fridge and sleeping for 3-4. It also serves as an ATV/Dirtbike hauler when the tent is removed. I'm working on a way to keep the tent and haul bikes at the same time.

Arya - I just picked up an older utility bed trailer and have a similar plan. I'd love to see more details about your hot water, power, etc. I mounted my tent on uprights that lower enough to fit in the garage but can be raised so I can fit my dirt bikes underneath and also raise the awning high enough. It's pretty rough right now and I don't plan on it every having show quality cosmetics, but there is some rust and such that I plan to finish priming and then rattle can it to match my truck.

Anyway more detailed info on how you plumbed and wired stuff would be awesome inspiration.
IMG_3280.jpg
IMG_3278.jpg
IMG_3273.jpg

loren85022

Explorer
Devin, that basketball hoop is dang near same height as your RTT! Some details on your jacks available?

Mine is a fiberglass mini truck util bed (20+ yrs old). The Hannibal awning really makes things easy, eh?

We're just back from a successful test-trip with sink/shower. A few mods are needed but the camp cook gave it 2 thumbs up. I'll post details shortly.

Attachments

• Day Lake-0690.jpg
    Day Lake-0690.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
Devin,

Unfortunately I don't have any good pics of the mechanicals. I "finished" that aspect of the trailer immediately prior to/during my trip to CO last summer. Most of the plumbing/wiring is covered by the floor. I do need to strip the whole thing down for sandblast and paint this summer and intend to better document the finer points upon reassembly.

For now all I can really tell you is that the battery, air compressors(2 viair units), hot water heater, water pump, fuse block, compressed air distribution block, air bag controls, switches, 120V inverter and 12V acc. outlet are all crammed into the rearmost driver's side compartment. It took a lot of staring and trial and error to get all the puzzle pieces to fit in there cleanly and neatly, but they all do. I'll try to grab a picture for you tomorrow if I remember while I'm near the trailer. The 5-gallon air tank and 21 gallon water tank are mounted below the floor of the "bed" of the trailer. I have some pictures, mostly of the suspension in my build thread which is linked in my signature. EDIT: Whoops, just realized I don't have a signature on this forum. Here's a link to the build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/32267-Mobile-base-camp-build

I look forward to seeing yours progress. I had thought about putting my tent on legs, but I like the "low profile" it has sitting down directly on the box.

Devin W

Observer
Devin, that basketball hoop is dang near same height as your RTT! Some details on your jacks available?

Mine is a fiberglass mini truck util bed (20+ yrs old). The Hannibal awning really makes things easy, eh?

We're just back from a successful test-trip with sink/shower. A few mods are needed but the camp cook gave it 2 thumbs up. I'll post details shortly.

Loren - You're trailer looks really well done. I'd love to see details on yours too. Ha! The tent looks high, but if I were to put it on my truck it would be just as high, if not higher. I had it on the roof of my LR Discovery for a few years and with a 4.5" lift and 33's it sat pretty high also. I guess I'm used to the treehouse effect, although I do like being able to lower it if the bed is empty. If the bed has dirtbikes in it then the extra mass will offset the center of gravity somewhat. With a crewcab full size pick up I won't be hitting a lot of "trails". That's what my KTM and mountain bikes are for with that pig.

I love my Hannibal tent and awning. That has been the one constant through several vehicles. With this new configuration I might looking into getting or making a change room. I've also considered running a second tent to be able to sleep more than 3 at a time since there will be times when we'll have more kids with us.

The "jacks" are adjustable uprights that Thule sold as the model 422 Xsportster(?). It was a truck bed rack that has been discontinued. I think a few guys here have used them in their truck beds. New they were pricey but I found my set on Craigslist for $100. I have to raise and lower it manually, which takes a few minutes, but it's not hard to do.

Devin,

Unfortunately I don't have any good pics of the mechanicals. I "finished" that aspect of the trailer immediately prior to/during my trip to CO last summer. Most of the plumbing/wiring is covered by the floor. I do need to strip the whole thing down for sandblast and paint this summer and intend to better document the finer points upon reassembly.

For now all I can really tell you is that the battery, air compressors(2 viair units), hot water heater, water pump, fuse block, compressed air distribution block, air bag controls, switches, 120V inverter and 12V acc. outlet are all crammed into the rearmost driver's side compartment. It took a lot of staring and trial and error to get all the puzzle pieces to fit in there cleanly and neatly, but they all do. I'll try to grab a picture for you tomorrow if I remember while I'm near the trailer. The 5-gallon air tank and 21 gallon water tank are mounted below the floor of the "bed" of the trailer. I have some pictures, mostly of the suspension in my build thread which is linked in my signature. EDIT: Whoops, just realized I don't have a signature on this forum. Here's a link to the build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/32267-Mobile-base-camp-build

I look forward to seeing yours progress. I had thought about putting my tent on legs, but I like the "low profile" it has sitting down directly on the box.

Arya - seeing your build thread helped alot. I'm pretty naive when it comes to the trailer suspension thing so that was pretty impressive. I'm basically looking at some new shocks but that's about it. I don't even want bigger tires because that would lift the trailer higher off of the ground. I figure it sits high enough now and I should be able to drag it through most anything that my truck will fit through. I was considering a cassette style sink, but your solution and Loren's are both pretty cool, too. So many possibilities...

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
How's the camber with the caravan axle? I remember looking at those before, but thought the camber would be all out of whack if it was flipped.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Caravan axle worked great and should hold the weight fine,
" I have seen 8 biggies stuffed in those vans going to Walmart"
Good clearance too!

sourdough

Adventurer
Dodge Caravan axles and springs

Caravan axle worked great and should hold the weight fine,
" I have seen 8 biggies stuffed in those vans going to Walmart"
Good clearance too!
LOL.... Those are Caravan springs and shakle mounts. I looked for the heaviest set I could find at the time. There are different sets so look out. Note; there seemed to be at three spindles sizes on the Caravans, a 4 bolt light duty, a five bolt and a HD 5 bolt that's on AWD. Mine are the 5 bolt non-AWD but I think you could use the HD AWD spindles. Anyway, You have to have spindles that will carry the load along with the springs and tires. Not shown in the photos are helper springs I removed from a panel delivery Caravan. With the helper springs I have hauled 1,800 Lbs. of gravel several times. :Wow1: Yes I was near the bump stops. 1,000 lbs. is no problem. I have towed this trailer about 8,000 miles and it tows beautifully without shocks.

sourdough

Adventurer
Caravan spring hangers. They are bolted on to the unibody an easy removal. The Caravan is a great donor for a home built trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal