Skersfan's New Shuttle Pod Trailer Build...

bob

Adventurer
web site

Yes I have a web site, but not functioning yet. Wikid's wife will be working on it next week I hope. I am making brochures, cards, Tee Shirts and Sweats right now. Taking a bunch of pictures of the trailer set up at camp and on the trail on Sunday.

Surf and Turf has over 500 entries signed up for it. This will be my first real marketing of the trailer. I have a meeting with DMV tuesday morning at 9am to try to find out exactly what I have to do to be manufacturer. As stated a lot more work to getting ready to sell than it is building the things.

I was stopped 4 times today people wanting to look at it. It does seem to stop traffic. I do not go in a gas station with it any more, I spent an hour at one on Monday talking to people.

I've seen the title here and elsewhere, but never investigated further until now. My mistake.

Great job from start to finish, and I wish you the best on the endeavor. Excellent concept and execution.

Delancy

bob

Adventurer
Again, I want to thank all that have commented or even looked at my new trailer. It is one of, if not the best trailer I have ever built. I have named the trailer and the company that makes them. The name of the trailer is Ouray Base Camp, named for paradise of the US off roading world, Ouray, Colorado. I actually decided to build this while there this summer. The company name is Aspen Trails Xpedition trailers.

Again thank you guys for all the kind words, and great ideas.

Bob

bob

Adventurer
I have no idea on exporting trailers, but I can check on it for you if you are seriously interested. I have a couple of people from Austrailia interested. It will take a few days to find out I am sure, and I am doing all the running around and paperwork to do this the right way. If you are serious Greeni pm me.
Bob

bob

Adventurer
I am trying to build the very finest off road trailer on the market, I need true off roaders input. Any and all comments, suggestions will be considered and truly appreciated. I know I have very stiff competition, but that is what makes things better for the end user, you.

Again thanks to all that have commented, given their ideas and asked questions. I hope to be a vendor on this forum very soon, so that I can share more information about the trailer and future ideas.

wikid

Adventurer
Bob
I'm looking forward to your visit to AZ. The local, interested party, will be awaiting an inspection.
We will have to take it to the desert for some poser shots. we may need some different views .

thanks
Don

bob

Adventurer
Nope.

Just busy with work, I have three micro wave towers in process, building security boxes for them, and containment boxes. Dragging them to the top of mountains with the fj. It always gets busy this time of year,due to the fact they are solar powered towers. Generators needing fuel, repair and different angles on the panels. Lots of fun!!!!

Taking the trailer to El Cajon this weekend to do Sidewinder I think. May park it and do it with just the FJ. Would like to keep it shiney for awhile longer.

Looks like l am starting a new one this week. Just waiting for the cashiers check. Actually started getting the steel and having lazor cut.

bob

Adventurer
Actually send me your email address and I will forward all directily to you. I am not going to teach the competition how to build my trailer. Have already given them too much, but since most just assemble I am not too worried about it.

PM me the email address and I will send them to you.

86JP-CJ7

Bob,

What size steel did you go with on the frame? Steel size is a great debate among trailer fabricators (as we all know), but I am curious as to what you chose given your years of experience.

bob

Adventurer
The main frame is 2x2 120 wall structural steel. American made. The tongue has a main runner of 2.5x2.5 240 wall structural steel. The upper frame is a combination of 1x1 120, 085 , 063. A small amount of 1x2 083 is used.

Where the axle is attached I added a 2x3 piece approximately 4 foot long to the bottom of the frame, 120 structural again. This was for ride height and an area for the water tanks that ride right over the axle. I added some flat stock to keep things from hanging up in between the tongue and the 2x3 as the tongue was welded to the bottom of the frame. I have never done that before, it is the cheap and easy way to do it. I normally cut and fit into the frame, which I think is stronger, but I wanted to try what a lot of manufacturers do. I will have a better idea down the road if I like it or not. Needs to flex some over a period of time. I am sure it is strong enough but the other is stronger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal