Skinny or wide tires; that is the question...

Clutch

<---Pass
Believe what you want. Tread will affect performance more than a measly 1" in width. :)

I can't tell the difference either....though I have been told I have hams for hands too.... :elkgrin:

We go through the same thing with dirt bike tires...I can't tell the difference between sizes when on the trail. As long as it has knobs on it...it is good!

98tcoma3rz

Observer
This topic could go for ever. This is a good read for starting.and has been around forever. Really one needs to understand their tires, weight of vehicle, weight of tires, and proper air psi for situation. So many people jump around to different tire brands looking for the ultimate vs understanding their tire and where the PSI needs to be for the conditions they are running. I try to keep my tires as narrow as possible for my set-ups.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html
Cameron.
I know this has been talked about a lot. I did actually read that article. I know the taller, skinnier tires are better all around, especially for my needs. I guess I just need to get used to them.

98tcoma3rz

Observer
Tall and skinny is the best way to go. Better fuel economy and better handling due to less rolling resistance, and less likely to get pulled around by road imperfections. Better in pretty much all conditions, with the possible exception of sand. That said, a 10.50 isn't exactly a pizza cutter! You just need to get used to the look.

My '01 Taco on 285/75s which are a metric 33x10.50.
image.jpg1_zps5t46mmyv.jpg

Great looking truck!

Kevin108

Explorer
I think a tall, skinny tire makes the lift look taller. The additional diameter definitely fills out the wheel well better. I dig it!

smokeysevin

Re-redoing things the third time
I think a tall, skinny tire makes the lift look taller. The additional diameter definitely fills out the wheel well better. I dig it!

The shorter the grass, the taller the tree looks :Wow1:

That said, 285/75/16, 295/75/16, 315/75/16 are just about perfect for a first gen tundra for me. I had 305/70/16 on mine for a while and I didn't care for it aesthetically (too short and fat), or in the wet.

Sean

camodog

Adventurer
I aways prefer skinny unless you need the width to stay on top of the terrain. In a Taco, you usually don't need the width. I think the 33x10.50s look cooler than the wider ones, myself. 10.50 is even too wide for me. I prefer 9.50 or 235.

I am with you tanglefoot. It may not be the 'cool' thing. But I am getting 235/80r17 for the 4R

Tembo

topless adventures
My 110 came with seven brand new military Michelin XZLs in the old 7.50 x 16 size...which is a tall, skinny tire. I have covered about 40,000 miles on them now including lots of highway, some Rocky mountains tracks in Alberta, the Spanish Pyrenees and two trips to Morocco so far. I do find them noisy and are not great a stopping on wet pavement but off road they are brilliant. When they finally wear out I will look for something tall, skinny and as similar as I can get.
IMG_0808.JPG

UpperLeft86

I've always had 33x12.5s or thereabouts. Just went with 255/80R17's recently, and really love them so far. They do seem better in the snow, which is about the only offroad I've had a chance to test yet.

jklewer

Your truck looks great. I went 235 and it took a little getting used to but I love it now. Grips great as far as I'm concerned. Give your new shoes a good workout and I'm sure you won't regret the purchase.

b01ea3b897474e4135db6312367f8738.jpg
6af28dbacb910c70ba47c6c4eb4c4eee.jpg

Land_Shark

Land_Shark
My only concern is the greater chance of breaking a bead on an 8in rim. I'd like to try 255s, but it's uncharted territory for me, so I'm a bit apprehensive. I like to air down quite a bit if I can.

I looked into it a little more....only a 1in difference in overall width. I'm pretty sure the 8in rim will be fine with a 255 aired down to 15-20 psi.

Last edited:

Ben in Nevada

If the tires are inflated to a high pressure, they won't have a lot of traction offroad whether they're skinny or wide. Once they're aired-down, they will either have a long contact patch or a short one. A long contact patch works like a tank track. It will provide maximum longitudinal traction for moving forward, and it will provide good flotation on sand, mud, or snow.

It's only when you air down that the tall, skinny tire as an advantage. On the street, you might as well get the 22 inch wheels so you can fit the bike brakes, and 40 profile tires. That way the vehicle has enough traction to stop on a dime, and won't wallow in the corners. But it doesn't matter if those are 275, 315, or 335, they won't have much traction offroad even if you air them down. Air down an 85 profile tire, even if it's only 235, and it will provide traction offroad like a rubber track.

GodwinAustin

Something to keep in mind with Skinny tires, which I havent seen mentioned, is off-camber situations where they can slip and slide laterally. I ran 33x9.5s on my first gen tacoma and felt this first hand.

bkg

Explorer
Something to keep in mind with Skinny tires, which I havent seen mentioned, is off-camber situations where they can slip and slide laterally. I ran 33x9.5s on my first gen tacoma and felt this first hand.

Can you elaborate? Skinny/wide really **shouldn't** matter in off camber...

Clawhammer

Adventurer
I think he means he was on a steep hillside and the skinny tire was pushed off the bead by the lateral force. Weight of the vehicle makes it want to slide down the hill sideways, but with tires dug in... I can imagine it.

How low were you aired down at the time Godwin? I'm thinking of putting some Coopers on my Tacoma in 235/85. According to their website the tire is 10" wide, which is wider than most 235's.

Benc

Explorer
Couldn't be more wrong. I plow snow and I will tell you right now I hate my 11 f250 for plowing because it runs wider tires than I my 04 f350. That wider contact patch just does not give the psi to the ground that the skinnier tire does.

Your right, skinny tires are better in the shallow snow but in the deep stuff you need as big of a foot print you can get.
That's why you don't see the Arctic truck running pizza cutters:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77