Sleeping in your XJ?

IronSmiles

Observer
I already have been looking on here.. and a little on NAXJA (even though this forum is still better) and I have never really seen any pictures or write ups on doing a build up for sleeping INSIDE your XJ. I know one or two people have attempted it with their TJ (My hat is off to you by the way if you have successfully done that, so little room, haha.) But I'm wondering if anybody has either done this or seen it done? And if it could possibly work for one or two people? If you HAVE done this too your XJ, I'd love to see some pics of your set up. :jump:

sidewys xj

Observer
Sleep

1991 4 door xj I am about 6"1 and my wife is about 5"4 I take the "seat" of the back seat out push the driver and passenger seat all the way forward. Then I went to the fabric store got a large piece of 5 inch foam lay it in the back and we sleep just about as good as we do at home. I dont have any pics right now but if needed I can get you some hope this helps

Luke :camping:

Uticon

Adventurer
I have a buddy that sleeps in his XJ.
He built a shallow storage box in the rear for gear with the back seat up.
He lays the back seat down and has a board that extends from the box to the back of the front seats at the same level.
Hes pretty tall but says he comfy with his head at the tailgate and feet to the back of the driver seat with is legs slighty bent.
It looks kinda cramped to me but two seems like it would be to much.
:av-7:

wjtoy

I had an XJ before my WJ and loved sleeping in it. I'm 6'3" and could fit with the front seats moved forward and the seat part of the back seat out. I never did anything fancy except threw some sleeping bags in the back and was more than comfortable.

Brett M

Adventurer
I know that there was a big thread about this on NAXJA, but I can't find it. There were multiple different setups on there. One guy had even strung up a hammock to sleep in his rig......

jagular7

Adventurer
Have you thought of the XJ looking like this

XJwithTrailer2a.jpg

XJwithTrailer2.jpg

Started off as
xjcamper2a.jpg

Removing the front
xjcamper2c.jpg

Is this still considered an XJ?

We're actually having a discussion on my local Jeep club site concerning cheap camper setups. One of the clubbers actually has a 4dr and 2dr XJ and doesn't know which one to build to Jeep with and the other to build to camp in. Both have dissimilar problems. What a delima.

IronSmiles

Observer
jagular7 said:
Have you thought of the XJ looking like this

XJwithTrailer2a.jpg

XJwithTrailer2.jpg

Started off as
xjcamper2a.jpg

Removing the front
xjcamper2c.jpg

Is this still considered an XJ?

We're actually having a discussion on my local Jeep club site concerning cheap camper setups. One of the clubbers actually has a 4dr and 2dr XJ and doesn't know which one to build to Jeep with and the other to build to camp in. Both have dissimilar problems. What a delima.

Haha, holy lord! Thats really innovative.. unfortunately for me I don't have a whole lot of disposable income for a good sleeping solution so a brand new trailer or one of the roof top tents was kinda out of the question..

One thing I had been considering.. and this is a rough idea so bear with me.. Is having a half tent like set up that seals to the back of the jeep. If you can, envision the swing away tire carrier open, the hatch open all the way (or at least mostly) and the part of the tent that attatches to the jeep would go over the hatch and around the sides.. sealing to the outside with a row of glued on snap metal buttons on the body every three or four inches, then an inch or so behind that, more to the inside of the tent a seal by heavy duty velcro, one part glued on again on the outside of the body of the jeep and the other part sewn onto the fabric of the tent. The rest of the tent would be enclosed like any other tent and open with a tall door a few feet out on the other side. This would allow a matress to be put on the inside and more than enough room to stretch out.. put ur stuff.. etc.. Plus tall enough because the roof would be supported by the hatch being open. I hope I explained that well.. I'm gonna see if I can create a crude drawing and post it.. haha.. What do yall think? :safari-rig:

IronSmiles

Observer
I was never an artist.. sue me for the 5 year olds job of making this in paint.. haha but you get the general idea... Right? :peepwall:

whatthehell.jpg

XXXpedition

Explorer
4 door xj I am about 6"1 and my wife is about 5"4 I take the "seat" of the back seat out push the driver and passenger seat all the way forward
that pretty much fits us too.and you might have looked at our website for storage/sleeping ideas since it had been mentioned above... :)))

btw: the nice, white xj-trailer shown in this thread IS our xj...
cheers
sven

IronSmiles

Observer
XXXpedition said:
that pretty much fits us too.and you might have looked at our website for storage/sleeping ideas since it had been mentioned above... :)))

btw: the nice, white xj-trailer shown in this thread IS our xj...
cheers
sven

That would have hurt to see my old adventure vehicle get chopped like that. Even though it turned out really cool. :(

jagular7

Adventurer
IronSmiles said:
Haha, holy lord! Thats really innovative.. unfortunately for me I don't have a whole lot of disposable income for a good sleeping solution so a brand new trailer or one of the roof top tents was kinda out of the question..

Don't be discouraged. Take a look at your local auction listing in the newspaper. You may find tow lots having auctions. There is a monthly auction in KC, KS and there are 2 XJs in that one. Another tow lot has listed 4!!! With the icy winter the midwest has been having the front won't be much usable, but maybe the rest. Only problem would be panel rust with the uniframe layout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online