Sleeping Platform / Storage / Kitchen Options

JackAttack13

Observer
Looking to take delivery of my TrialMaster in about 6 weeks. I would love to kit out my rig with a storage/kitchen setup with an added sleep platform like the one that is offered by Black Sheep. I have a hard time dropping 7500 USD on a setup like that. Found another company called RaidBox out of France, but they have minimal online presence which makes me think they are a startup, but their few videos on YouTube make their system look great.
If anyone has any DIY, or other options I am interested in hearing about them.

Raidbox-grenadier-lit.jpg

black-sheep-innovations-gmbh-schubladensystem-camp-box-ineos-grenadier-06-min.webp

Sid Post

Observer
If you want to DIY it, you can have a metal fab place make the shell and cut out the front panel. All some folded doors and then take a router and make the tops. With quality slides, you will end up with something similar. However, you still have the top platform which I would do from wood to have some "give" and then there is the mattress.

All said and done, good pull out boxes are not CHEAP! When you add up all the pieces needed, the bill of materials isn't as cheap as many people think. Then there is the engineering to size it and accommodate the vehicle.

Having looked at similar box systems from other vendors for other SUVs, I will say ~$7500 is on the high-end but, isn't out of line for my expectations for a quality system. All the low number of units sold to Grenadier owners to cost out any tooling and, it seems reasonable to me.

Can you buy it cheaper or DIY it for less, probably but will it be the same level of quality?

JackAttack13

Observer
If you want to DIY it, you can have a metal fab place make the shell and cut out the front panel. All some folded doors and then take a router and make the tops. With quality slides, you will end up with something similar. However, you still have the top platform which I would do from wood to have some "give" and then there is the mattress.

All said and done, good pull out boxes are not CHEAP! When you add up all the pieces needed, the bill of materials isn't as cheap as many people think. Then there is the engineering to size it and accommodate the vehicle.

Having looked at similar box systems from other vendors for other SUVs, I will say ~$7500 is on the high-end but, isn't out of line for my expectations for a quality system. All the low number of units sold to Grenadier owners to cost out any tooling and, it seems reasonable to me.

Can you buy it cheaper or DIY it for less, probably but will it be the same level of quality?

Thanks for the input. Raidbox got back to me on an inquiry and they are a tad cheaper, although located in France so shipping to the U.S. is still going to be very expensive. They quoted 6300 for their box with fridge, and all accessories including mattress included. So not horrible. I will probably end up going that route, as like you said, the BOM will add up quickly and that is not including time to design, spec out parts, and then build.

alanymarce

Hmm - we spent:

1. Lumber: pine plyboard, sandpaper, piano hinges. CAD 127.77

(Note: the “2 x 4” lumber for the bed frame was recycled)

2. Metro, Montréal - 2 x collapsible grocery baskets. CAD 2.50 each.

3. Canadian Tyre: storage boxes CAD 71.64.

So CAD 204.41 (currently USD 150 or thereabouts) to build a bed frame and put in storage below it.

We used the mattress from our Montero so the cost of a mattress is not in the above (we were given the mattress by a local company - not exactly a sponsor, more of an enthusiast). You should be able to find a good mattress for less than USD 100.

IMG_3885.JPG

alanymarce

How do you crawl in and out? Looks like a lot of bruises and banging your head.
Carefully!

To be more helpful: it's not that tough - I'm not the world's most flexible person but find it easy to get in and out. You use the side doors, not the rear.

We've had the same set up, more or less, in our Montero (2015 to date), our LC80 (2017-2018), and the Wrangler (2022-2023). The Wrangler was the tightest but still no problem. Actually the headroom in the Wrangler was better than in the Montero.

85_Ranger4x4

Hmm - we spent:

1. Lumber: pine plyboard, sandpaper, piano hinges. CAD 127.77

(Note: the “2 x 4” lumber for the bed frame was recycled)

2. Metro, Montréal - 2 x collapsible grocery baskets. CAD 2.50 each.

3. Canadian Tyre: storage boxes CAD 71.64.

So CAD 204.41 (currently USD 150 or thereabouts) to build a bed frame and put in storage below it.

We used the mattress from our Montero so the cost of a mattress is not in the above (we were given the mattress by a local company - not exactly a sponsor, more of an enthusiast). You should be able to find a good mattress for less than USD 100.

View attachment 815774

Basically what I am thinking about doing with my truck.

I had thought about the big drawers but it all adds up fast and it locks in what you can do back there. I was am thinking about making my platform split so I can have room behind it for a cooler/water etc when actually driving.

86scotty

Cynic
How do you crawl in and out? Looks like a lot of bruises and banging your head.

Best way I've found in a JLU is to enter from the back side doors, remove shoes, store under vehicle if dry/safe or jam in door sill if not and lay down with your head towards the rear. You can also prop up a pillow on the rear window/door and sit up to read or whatever this way. You just have to remember to park level or slightly downhill rather than uphill if you try to sleep with your head to the rear.

But the Grenadier is a LOT taller inside and doesn't have the roll bar so it should be nice and roomy. I'll be working on this with a friend of mine who just took delivery of his. I think a much lower sleeping platform on one side (some storage underneath just not that much ^^^) and fridge/drawer on the other side. This is for solo travelers of course. If you're doing multi nights with two sleeping indoors in a vehicle this size you should reexamine your life choices IMO. This is why they make vans and truck campers, or as a last resort a RTB (rooftop brick).

plh

Explorer
Best way I've found in a JLU is to enter from the back side doors, remove shoes, store under vehicle if dry/safe or jam in door sill if not and lay down with your head towards the rear. You can also prop up a pillow on the rear window/door and sit up to read or whatever this way. You just have to remember to park level or slightly downhill rather than uphill if you try to sleep with your head to the rear.

But the Grenadier is a LOT taller inside and doesn't have the roll bar so it should be nice and roomy. I'll be working on this with a friend of mine who just took delivery of his. I think a much lower sleeping platform on one side (some storage underneath just not that much ^^^) and fridge/drawer on the other side. This is for solo travelers of course. If you're doing multi nights with two sleeping indoors in a vehicle this size you should reexamine your life choices IMO. This is why they make vans and truck campers, or as a last resort a RTB (rooftop brick).
I did a low half width low platform (75" x 25" wide) in my '14 Outlander. Works great for 1 person and plenty of head room to sit up. Completely removed the 2nd and 3rd row seats. When I had my '05 Montero, the full width platform I had in there was fridge height (20" +/-) to the top of the mattress and 75" long. I didn't like it because there was not enough room to sit up.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
I've been meaning to get a measurement of the inside of a Grenadier. The cargo area is a good bit shorter than a JLU which is my benchmark and what I've got the most experience with. I'd love to know what kind of length you can get away with at different heights from the rear door of IG to the back of the front seat.

Anyone measured yet?

JackAttack13

Observer
That Raidbox looks incredible. I would 100% go that route.
I love that the entire thing is enclosed in single box that can easily be removed. I had a full kitchen/drawer setup in my LC100 that wasn't easy to remove and when out on the trail, it was incredible. But when using the vehicle for everyday things, it was very inconvenient and more of an annoyance. So seeing a removable option is awesome.

JackAttack13

Observer
Goose Gear have just relased their rear seat delete / platform.

Sounds like plenty more to come too

-Dan
Yeah, I saw that. Pretty slick! Unfortunately I need to retain the rear bench for the little one. Thinking th RaidBox would be a good solution to sleep 3 and still have the back seat along with fridge and water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle