Slow build of the 4runner

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Fiqured I'd start a new thread for the build of the newer 2000 Toyota 4runner I picked up at the end of September.

My previous build (the old girl is now in Texas):
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15628

When I bought her:
2000 Toyota 4runner, auto 4x4 w/ elocker and sunroof, 94,xxx miles. The suspension was shot and the tires were crap (probable the 2nd set of tires on it, front passenger side tire blew out due to the crappie tires)

Next to the old 4runner:
IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

First minor change (tires and suspension, 265/75/16 Yokohama Geolander AT's and Sonoran Steel 7.2 lift :) )
IMG_1553.jpg

Christmas came early yesterday (an added bonus from the sale of my previous 4runner)
IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

Things to come:
Bud Built Skids
Sliders
Lights (already have, just need to install)

I'm not much of a rock crawler, but I'm building her for a general purpose vehicle than can take me that camping or fishing or mountain biking spot and exploring the back roads.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Stubb's HD-SKO, got to protect the rocker panels while out in and bout exploring:

100_1706.jpg

They are primed and painted with Duplicolor truck bed liner.

More photo's to follow this weekend.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
These sliders are the bomb...

I have these same sliders on my rig. You will be glad how stout these are. Have you considered coating these?

Regards,

BWJ

CYi5

Explorer
Awesome, i can't wait to see how the HD-SKO's look with the limited flares, first one i will have seen with that combo!

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
A little update and probable the last for a bit as I need to let the bank account recover and try to fiqure what's next besides lights and a CB (already have).

Off with the old and on with the new:
1220081307.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

New endcaps and bumper brackets:
IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

Going into place and the final prodcut
IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

The last item Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders
IMG_1789.jpg

Took about 7hrs. from start to finish which doesn't include the 2hr wait to have the electric company fix the power line.
Overall, the Shrockworks bumper is an awesome but a pain in the butt to install. We spent about an hour alone trying to get the bumper aligned up with the brackets. Ultimately, we had to spread the brackets apart, grease them up and grind the powercoat off to get the bumper to fit properly. It will suck way downline when I get a winch and we have to take the whole thing off again. Good thing that ain't happening for awhile.

HOYTUSA

Nice!

I have been looking at that same front bumper for my runner and seeing it on your runner has made my mind for me:)

also you live in Tucson?

HOYTUSA

was just curious because the apartment complex in the pics looked like the one I use to live in in Tucson. (chat over)

bumper looks good on the 4runner.

one quick ? are those the factory driving lights on the corner of the bumper or turn signals?

CYi5

Explorer
HOYTUSA said:
was just curious because the apartment complex in the pics looked like the one I use to live in in Tucson. (chat over)

bumper looks good on the 4runner.

one quick ? are those the factory driving lights on the corner of the bumper or turn signals?

Signals on the outside, hole for added driving lights inward of them.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
So this is how Shrockworks addresses the problem...

Bummer about the time it took to mount this. The main problem in making bumpers for the 4runner is that they are not all the same. ARB, TJM and Shrockworks address this problem by making mounting systems that will generally work in most cases. Unfortunately, you had to deal with this...Looks good though...:clapsmile

BTW, how do you like your lift/tire combo? When my tires wear out, I am going with the Sonoran Steel 1.2 with 265s...

Regards,

BWJ

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
bigwapitijohnny said:
Bummer about the time it took to mount this. The main problem in making bumpers for the 4runner is that they are not all the same. ARB, TJM and Shrockworks address this problem by making mounting systems that will generally work in most cases. Unfortunately, you had to deal with this...Looks good though...:clapsmile

BTW, how do you like your lift/tire combo? When my tires wear out, I am going with the Sonoran Steel 1.2 with 265s...

Regards,

BWJ

Ya, it was a pain but the payoff is great.

The ride and tires are great. If you go with the 1.2 get 285s it looks a little more normal.

CYI5 you hit the nail on the head. Theres also mounting locations under the hoop for lights.

Last edited:

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
This is the latest.

Reinstalled the CB out of my old 4runner and picked up a new headunit since the stock radio's volume knob was malfunction.

IMG_0124.jpg

Got my communciations back up and some tunes for the trails.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Nice. I need to get working on a CB.

How do you like your Yoko Geolander ATS, BTW? I am going to look for an on-road/daily driver tires and those caught my eye.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333