Small turbo diesel options for swap...

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
So, I plan on a turbo diesel swap in my Explorer (sometime next year, I'm still researching)... There are a couple of decent options I've found from International and VM Motori... The VM Motori option that I could get out of the Liberty seems like the best (easiest and cheapest) option so far, BUT, I can't find anyway to adapt a manual transmission to it... If the International has an SAE pattern (I assume it does) I could easily find an adapter and mate it with most any Ford/GM transmission (whichever I pick)... I'm sure there are many other small (I4/V6, under 6-700 lb) turbo diesel engine options that I don't know about yet... My question is, if this were your project, what would you do? I'm still in the research phase so I would like lots of input...

VM Motori 2.8L CRD (Jeep Liberty)-Good specs, though as of right now, I have no idea how to adapt it to a transmission and can't get any info on anything like that, does seem to bee the cheapest option ( I can get a wrecked Liberty for 1-$2500)
http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=56

VM Motori 3.0L CRD-Better numbers, this is all the info I know about it though...
http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=9

Last edited:

78Bronco

Explorer
Ranger?

At one time Ford used a Mitsubishi 2.5L Diesel in the Ranger. I'm sure it came with a 5speed too.

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
At one time Ford used a Mitsubishi 2.5L Diesel in the Ranger. I'm sure it came with a 5speed too.

That made about 80 hp and 120lb ft, and that is impossoble to get ahold of, lol... I'd like to use a relatively modern engine so I can still find parts for it... The diesel Rangers are difficult to find parts for... 4BT isn't an option, it's too big and weighs too much...

78Bronco

Explorer
Mercedes makes a few small diesels and I'm sure you could find a 5spd to go with it.

Mitsu 2.5 & 2.8 diesels are pretty popular and easy to find parts for.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
The minute you buy the motor, your parts will be more valuble than the base vehicle! Why not start with something that you'll be happy with for a long time, instead of something which has built-in deficiency? Just curious....

Spence

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
If you don't mind importing something look into the 2.8L MWM sprint 4.07

This little gem was an option in South American GM products along with some Nissan stuff, Ford Stuff, etc.

Other than cost, it is by far the most perfect small diesel I have ever seen.
Don't pay attention to the factory power ratings, these can make 100hp/L
with basic diesel modifications ( injectors, turbo, pump tuning ).

If you are really interested let me know. I have been looking for a reason to import one for myself. Shipping more than one might be much easier...

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
The minute you buy the motor, your parts will be more valuble than the base vehicle! Why not start with something that you'll be happy with for a long time, instead of something which has built-in deficiency? Just curious....

Spence

Built in deficiency? I'm 100% happy with my Explorer... Of course, I'd rather have something else, but I can't get that in the States (78 series cruiser)... I'd rather put my money into modifications... The way I see it, I can spend my money on a base vehicle, or, I can build exaclty what I want... IMO, you can't find a better small/mid-size base vehicle for travelling in the US than an Explorer...

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
If you don't mind importing something look into the 2.8L MWM sprint 4.07

This little gem was an option in South American GM products along with some Nissan stuff, Ford Stuff, etc.

Other than cost, it is by far the most perfect small diesel I have ever seen.
Don't pay attention to the factory power ratings, these can make 100hp/L
with basic diesel modifications ( injectors, turbo, pump tuning ).

If you are really interested let me know. I have been looking for a reason to import one for myself. Shipping more than one might be much easier...

That's the International 2.8L! I thought that was something totally new I'd never heard of before, lol... I was looking at that or the 4.08 3.0L version... It makes a little more respectable power from the get-go without having to pump it up... I'm real interested now, as it seems like a very viable option, I've just never found a connection to get one imported (I even thought about taking a trip to CA to bring one back)...

GetBentFab

Not smog legal for your application but here's one of the best ever...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EnfineOM617A.jpg

I had an '84 300 turbodiesel with only 65,000 miles, great car. While I was at work my ex wife traded it in for a late 80s baby jeep cherokee which gave her nothing but trouble!

Man, I miss that car!

I've owned a couple of MB's and parts were never an issue. Even when my 230 gasser was nearly twenty years old MB had every part I ever needed to me overnight. Best service I've ever had at any dealership.

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
TTB suspension comes to mind in a hurry....can't lift it, can't load it, eats tires and steers terribly. Other than that, sure...I guess so.

You can do anything a solid axle can with TTB... You just have to know how it works... Keeping the steering set-up properly is the one thing most people don't do and that's why there are so many TTB horror stories... True, after 6-8" of lift the TTB is almost impossible to align and steer properly, but I'm not going that high... 3" of lift and properly set up steering linkage and I'll have no problems, and the benefits of both IFS and Solid Axles...

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
Not smog legal for your application but here's one of the best ever...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EnfineOM617A.jpg

I had an '84 300 turbodiesel with only 65,000 miles, great car. While I was at work my ex wife traded it in for a late 80s baby jeep cherokee which gave her nothing but trouble!

Man, I miss that car!

I've owned a couple of MB's and parts were never an issue. Even when my 230 gasser was nearly twenty years old MB had every part I ever needed to me overnight. Best service I've ever had at any dealership.

Smog?!?! I don't have to pass smog, lol... All you Cali people can hate me :D I seriously considered the OM617, but my only problems with it, is it seems like it might be too long, and it puts out some pretty measley torque numbers... If I'm completely wrong though, educate me...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
There are at least two different 2.8L diesels by International.

One is a version of the 300tdi Rover motor. No replaceable cylinder sleeves, front driven injector pump and accessories, turbo on the drivers side on the motor.

The one I am talking about is a much more industrial strength motor. It has replaceable cylinder sleeves, passenger side turbo, and everthing but the a/c pump, fan, and alternator are gear driven and mounted on the REAR of the motor. This is the better choice.....

P.S. I don't have a problem with the TTB. You can install the D44 beams with a little work :) Lots of go fast potential for sure! Low lift, some 'glass fenders, some 35s.....sounds just like my style!

Its not really about what you have......its about how you build it!

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
There are at least two different 2.8L diesels by International.

One is a version of the 300tdi Rover motor. No replaceable cylinder sleeves, front driven injector pump and accessories, turbo on the drivers side on the motor.

The one I am talking about is a much more industrial strength motor. It has replaceable cylinder sleeves, passenger side turbo, and everthing but the a/c pump, fan, and alternator are gear driven and mounted on the REAR of the motor. This is the better choice.....

P.S. I don't have a problem with the TTB. You can install the D44 beams with a little work :) Lots of go fast potential for sure! Low lift, some 'glass fenders, some 35s.....sounds just like my style!

Its not really about what you have......its about how you build it!

I like the sound of that... As for the TTB, I doubt I'll swap in a D44, being that the D35 is almost a D44 anyway, I might do a 44 knuckle swap so as to get the bigger brakes and better wheel bearing spacing and lockouts and whatnot... Plus, the 8.8" in the rear is 95% as strong as a stock 9"... I really LOVE watching these threads about people who spend $10K on a Rover or Cruiser, then spend even more money to have the best out there, I like looking at them, but it's just not practical for me... Most of my build will be hand built and exactly what I need and none more... I spent the entire summer rocking out my Explorer in 2wd, it's not about what you have, but where you go... I just need a little more capability to "go" more places... The diesel swap will open up more of those places for me...

SixLug

Explorer
another TN guy! Welcome!

Ive been pondering what kind of deisel I could put into the Cherokee I have and have some of the same concerns you do. 4BT would be sweet, but too big, and I dont think the unibody could handle it all. So Im looking forward to watching what path you go down with this. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad