Small turbo diesel options for swap...

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
The ECM isn't such a big issue unless you want everything to work in a stock jeep platform. If you can use mechanical gauges and don't want cruise control type stuff I think the stock Bosch ECM controlling the VM motor can be run independently.

In the TJ platform its really hard to get the ECM and FCM to talk to the TJ gauge cluster. Wiring and control for the 545 auto is also a nightmare.

If you could source the flywheel you needed and ran a manual transmission like the nv3500 it could be pretty easy.

Yes, go with the 4.07 Sprint. If you are serious about it I would be willing to help source two or more to share on shipping fees. I had a contact at International South America at one time. I was close to being able to get a complete motor from them direct. I still think it would be cheaper to just buy a few out of wrecked S10s in Brazil. It might even be worth the trip down to pull them yourself and crate them up. That is what I was thinking....

Yeah, I was thinking it would probably be real easy to fly down there, and pull the drivetrain and crate it up and ship it back to the states... Importing isn't a problem since it wouldn't be a complete vehicle correct? I'm sure it isn't hard to find several wrecked S-10's around there... What's the specs on that engine? I know the new CR one is a nice power package, but all mechanical is a real benefit...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Stock power is only like 130hp or so. Don't let this scare you away. There is a marine tune of the same motor that makes 190hp. Somewhere in my notes I have the contact information for a diesel tuning company in Brazil that makes a ton of performance 'kits' for the motor. It isn't hard to get 100hp/liter out of one from what I had seen.

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
Stock power is only like 130hp or so. Don't let this scare you away. There is a marine tune of the same motor that makes 190hp. Somewhere in my notes I have the contact information for a diesel tuning company in Brazil that makes a ton of performance 'kits' for the motor. It isn't hard to get 100hp/liter out of one from what I had seen.

So, I'm guessing this 280hp wouldn't be with just screw turning? I'd be fine with anything 170hp/220lb-ft and up... If I did any modifications, 200hp would be my limit (I'd rather not blow something up, or spend tons of money on an engine)...

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
according to diesel power mag the U.S. spec 3550 will match up along with an ax-15 trans. You can purchase the Vm motor through your local Detroit dealer. My local detroit dealer had 4 on the shelf last time I was in there.

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad