Smittybilt G.E.A.R seat cover Review

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Wow, that does suck about them. Have you contacted Smitty Built about that? I recently saw them at a local 4 Wheel Parts show and considered buying them for my rig.

jasonL_031

Adventurer
i have the universal seat covers on my jeep jk and i am going to deffinatly get some for the power wagon i like the versitility of them all you have to do is go to a army surplus and pick up new pouches for them :D lol

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I recently drove the EW Tacoma with these on their seats. I couldn't stand them. They constantly moved when i got in and out of the rig. I love the idea, i think it's awesome. But i hate seat covers that move. It's like a pet peeve of mine.

jasonL_031

Adventurer
the universal truck ones dont move one bit thats why i like them they dont have the part for the lower seat its just for the back rest

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I have these in my Jeep Wrangler. The seam separation as experienced by Willman can be prevented by not creating too much tension with the velcro retention straps. I have found that it is best keep the tension low enough that the cover can contour to the face of the seat with being pushed forcefully into position when you set down. If the cover is strung tight between the two side bolsters of the seat then the seam will pull out.

I also separated the bottom portion of the cover from the back section. I then attached lengths of webbing to the top and bottom portions. These straps wrap all the way around and under the seat and tension the two cover sections very tightly so they do not move. The side "wings" were also removed from the bottom portion as they simply would not lay flat on my seats.

While time consuming these modifications turned a marginal product into a very good one.

4405074859_811d3bbea3.jpg

4405839768_e520fc151b.jpg

4405839808_0babf9747e.jpg

4405839832_c9bdea3cde.jpg

Willman

I recently drove the EW Tacoma with these on their seats. I couldn't stand them. They constantly moved when i got in and out of the rig. I love the idea, i think it's awesome. But i hate seat covers that move. It's like a pet peeve of mine.

I here ya! I fight with it all the time....I think i have a few tricks i'm going to try to hopefully solve that problem.

seam separation as experienced by Willman can be prevented by not creating too much tension with the velcro retention straps. I have these in my Jeep Wrangler. The und that it is best keep the tension low enough that the cover can contour to the face of the seat with being pushed forcefully into position when you set down. If the cover is strung tight between the two side bolsters of the seat then the seam will pull out.

I also separated the bottom portion of the cover from the back section. I then attached lengths of webbing to the top and bottom portions. These straps wrap all the way around and under the seat and tension the two cover sections very tightly so they do not move. The side "wings" were also removed from the bottom portion as they simply would not lay flat on my seats.

While time consuming these modifications turned a marginal product into a very good one.

4405074859_811d3bbea3.jpg

4405839768_e520fc151b.jpg

4405839808_0babf9747e.jpg

4405839832_c9bdea3cde.jpg

Thanks for the infor. My velcro retention straps are not tight but just right. I just think the wear and tear got to them over the year & 3/4's on the seam separation.

:)

Tripp

To expound on the M.O.L.L.E. comments made earlier, friends of mine and I have modified commercial load bearing equipment for practical everyday use, as well as make custom components using materials found at this site.

http://www.diytacticalstore.com/

Regardless, I'm very interested in reading about and seeing more of your modifications of the Smittybilt covers. Once I get first hand experience with them I can sort out of I want to modify theirs or make my own from scratch as it were.

Bella PSD

Explorer
Just went out and checked out the seams on mine. Look good. No Separation at all. Had them for now going on 2 years. And I have them pulled tight because the seat covers are kind of small for the big seats in the Superduty.

Louie

Last edited:

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
Seam separation on both seat covers, though I like the design and function- too bad no much attention was paid to workmanship!

Lancer

Observer
I've had mine for about 2 years, and the seams are fine so far.

Just to update from 2010, the covers are still fine save for a little sun bleaching

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy