BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
But I'm falling in love with my XJ.

DSC08581r.jpg

DSC09011r.jpg

DSC08580r.jpg

Bye, Bye subaru. Enjoy your new home.

EDIT: Here's some pics for the clicky-impaired. :D

these pics are after rattle canning the wasted clear coat on the hood, roof and rear hatch. not bad at all. It was mostly to keep ANY kind of oxidation away.

I took the factory roof rack off, and put on my thule bars, simply cuz I know I'll need them. I'm looking around for a low-pro roof rack. Possibly the brand that has intigrated "roof sliders"

here's the big reason the subaru went bye-bye. I have two little ladies and another little girl on the way in a few weeks. as you can see, three fit just fine...

I really like the silver and black, and will probably eventually get it refinished as such with integrated detours rear tire carrier, rock sliders, and front winch mount.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

But I'm falling in love with my XJ.

Bye, Bye subaru. Enjoy your new home.

WHAT!!!!!! Spill the beans buddy! Sounds like a big welcome to the XJ fold. :victory:

Hit me up if you need any ideas/help. BTW, get some pics up you bum. :ylsmoke:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Hey guys...Here's the specs

1992 XJ Laredo
4.0L
Auto
4x4
Crappy paint
mint cond. grey interior
Excellent mechanicals
164k on the clock

High-pinion, non-disconnect D30 front
D35 (i think) rear
Np231
nice goodyear wrangler AT's, w/ about 60% tread
nice kenwood stereo
a heater that works

Found a dude in chicago who REALLY wanted my subaru, and who wanted to pay me like 1500% more than I got it for..lol.

I have a 3rd baby on the way, and decided I'd take the opportunity to get back into a 4x4 that could haul my upcoming family of five...

By the way two forward facing car seats and one infant carrier fit perfectly in the back of an XJ. Just fyi. I've already got all three installed!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Oh, and here's a link to pics:http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb64/kodiak1232003/offoading/?albumview=grid

So far:
-Changed oil/filter
-dumped a bottle of injector cleaner
-changed serpentine belt
-changed fuel filter

Planned
-Coolant flush
-New plugs,wires,cap,rotor
-trailer hitch and wire hookup
-swap to stock steel rims(was going to put on the LJ, already have 'em)
-front bull bar/winch mount
-safari snorkel

Thats about it for now. not going to lift it anytime soon.

-B

ExpoMike

Nice rig. Looks like it wasn't abused. Sounds like you are on the right track with getting the maintenance stuff done.

If you are not in a real hurry for a trailer hitch, I'll have one I'll make you a hell of a deal on. It's a U-Haul model, no problems with it but I picked up a factory one, which has the 7 pin wiring plug mount on it. The U-Haul one does not. With my truck project, I have no time/room to do the swap now but hopefully few months down the road.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Nice rig. Looks like it wasn't abused. Sounds like you are on the right track with getting the maintenance stuff done.

If you are not in a real hurry for a trailer hitch, I'll have one I'll make you a hell of a deal on. It's a U-Haul model, no problems with it but I picked up a factory one, which has the 7 pin wiring plug mount on it. The U-Haul one does not. With my truck project, I have no time/room to do the swap now but hopefully few months down the road.

Yeah, that could work, though I could sure use a hitch in the next week or so...

I've been eyeing those factory hitches, too, honestly, but I know the uhaul brand to be quality. I had their hitches on 3 trucks in the past. Nary a problem.

We'll have to chat further on that..:)

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
So, maybe we'll see you up here for an overnighter now that you have a "proper" 4x4???

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I love easy installs. did the cap rotor, plugs and plug wires today so the tally so far is:

So far:
-Changed oil/filter
-dumped a bottle of injector cleaner
-changed serpentine belt
-changed fuel filter
-New Distributer cap
-New rotor
-New plug wires
-New Spark plugs

Planned
-Coolant flush
-trailer hitch and wire hookup
-swap to stock steel rims(was going to put on the LJ, already have 'em)
-front bull bar/winch mount
-safari snorkel
-rock sliders
-CB radio

165,000 miles yesterday.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
So I "mostly" completed my first On The Cheap mod. This was a $0.00 affair, since I had exactly $0.00 to spend on it, and had all the materials/tools I needed.

I've been wanting to utilize the space on the passenger side, rear quarter panel/load area.

In the first picture below, you can see it to the right, there, covered with grey plastic, with the indent:

DSC05068.jpg

Did you notice the small and large tool bags? They're full of these things:

DSC05313.jpg

Now They have a home...

DSC05307.jpg

I'm going to re-pack and finish it a bit more, but its about done. It uses some parts from an Ikea bookshelf, and is very sturdy. And look. No more tool bags:
DSC05305.jpg

ExpoMike

Good job.

Did you put anything on the inside panel (i.e. the outer quarter panel) to prevent things from bouncing around and leaving dents on the quarter panel skin? That would be my only fear, leaving dents from the inside out.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Good job.

Did you put anything on the inside panel (i.e. the outer quarter panel) to prevent things from bouncing around and leaving dents on the quarter panel skin? That would be my only fear, leaving dents from the inside out.

Yeah the inner space'll need a lining but the only thing against the skin is a soft uniformly flat tow rope. Probably be ok for now right?

ExpoMike

You'll be surprised at how little it takes to pop little dings. Anything metal (like the bottle jack) that happens to bounce into it, could do it. Potholes and such could make it move enough.

I would say hit up RidOut Plastics in Kearny Mesa and get a scrap sheet of 1/8" ABS plastic and make something you can put against the panel. Use some double sided tape to hold it. That would do the trick and it would fit the curve. You can use a heat gun to put a curve in it.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
You'll be surprised at how little it takes to pop little dings. Anything metal (like the bottle jack) that happens to bounce into it, could do it. Potholes and such could make it move enough.

I would say hit up RidOut Plastics in Kearny Mesa and get a scrap sheet of 1/8" ABS plastic and make something you can put against the panel. Use some double sided tape to hold it. That would do the trick and it would fit the curve. You can use a heat gun to put a curve in it.

word

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach