So I'm buying a van...

Jb1rd

Explorer
Wheres that fire???? Feeling overwhelmed yet :) Don't worry it gets worse, then you realize its all just a game, have fun and enjoy the process. Just to add to it here is a tasty little treat in the Lone Star State. Keep up the posts, it will keep you honest and motivated :)

http://www.sportsmobile.com/preowns/21

HoboJen

Adventurer
still no van and I've taken a small step back to think about what i really want to do. i still look at craigslist every day though :) it's been kind of nice to take a break, and I've been busy downsizing and selling stuff/giving it away. that feels good.

tomorrow i'm going to check out an acquaintance's build in a ford aerostar. they make it work as a couple with two dogs, but aren't in it full time. he has also been paid to do builds in other vans but doesn't have the time for that right now. I spent some time tonight talking with a former roommate turned vandweller who loves the previa. he hasn't built anything, and just uses a thermarest for sleeping. this dude works as a carpenter, so it's really just a matter of him not having taken the time to build anything or set it up.

all i really know:
- i want a great rig for kayaking adventures (and i'm not sure i want to go conversion camper van).
- i will be spending some time in warm sunny weather and want to have a nice set up for the pooch.
- i will want to do some road tripping around the west, to alaska, maybe the east coast.
- i'm not in a huge rush to get out of here before april.
- trip planned for late february to white salmon area for a week and a half. sure would be great to have a van by then, even if i'm sleeping on a thermarest.
- i really need to go test drive a bunch of vehicles.

same stuff as i've been posting really :) excited and a little scared, but it's so happening.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
It's too bad it's not about 15 years in the future. There are finally more fuel-efficient van platforms infiltrating the US market, such as the Ram Promaster, Ford Transit (not the Connect), Nissan NV200 and Nissan NV 4.0.

For some inspiration on van build-ins, I camped next to these guys last Fall. They did some clever but relatively simple design and construction for the interior of their E-150 and lived/traveled in it for a year straight. They just recently sold it, but they have the drawings/photos on their blog:

http://www.expandoutdoors.com/blog/category/the-advanture/the-van/

I deleted my earlier post because I didn't want to further overwhelm you with additional options, but as you seem to be opening up to other possibilities, I thought I'd suggest a pickup-based vehicle. Pickups have more diverse drivetrain options (including manual transmissions and more engine choices), better availability of 4wd, more entries from the imports and lots of possibilities for the living quarters. I prefer the driving experience of a pickup: the cab is easily closed off from the living quarters, helping isolate the rattles and swinging objects from behind for more serenity at the wheel and there's more leg room. They're also easier to work on, with the full-length hood.

I've always liked the carpet inserts/sleeping platforms that can be built/bought and used under a shell:

329127d1191640027-ford-long-bed-carpet-kit-carpet-kit2.jpg

I ended up with an old, pop-up truck camper in my old Toyota truck. I really like it...it's a capable, low-cost, fuel-efficient combo with a comfy living area and nice amenities.

P1020261.jpg

The dogs like it too!

P1010994.jpg

Some roof-lift mechanisms even allow boats to stay on top while the roof is being raised/lowered. The lower bed is usable with the roof lowered for stealth camping.

It is tough to beat the interior volume of a van, but I'm not much of a van fan, myself (probably not the best forum area to admit that in). Although some do go a long time, I'm not completely comfortable with the V8/auto trans combos of the big 3 and the limited engine access makes me nervous.

Last edited:

just kev

So I've been a lurker here for a while but will be posting a build thread soon!

I've spent the past 7 years doing a lot of camping (30+ weekends/year and at least 4 week long or longer trips/year) out of a Toyota Tacoma
with a shell. I ripped out the read seats, put in a second battery, put in a platform bed and shelves, roof rack, etc. It always had lots of gear in it
(read as climbing gear, scuba gear, kayaks, etc). While 'manageable' on week+ long I wouldn't be overjoyed about spending months in it. I've also
had may far share of van envy of a few friends rigs. Recently I bite the bullet and upgrade so here are my thoughts.

1) The quickest way to become a VW mechanic is to buy a VW.
2) Unless you really know you need 4x4 you can survive with AWD + wench or RWD + locking read end + wench.
3) Get a full size van - anything else really isn't comfortable for two peeps long term - it's gonna be your home make it a 1 bedroom not a studio ;)
4) You must go look at vans to find 'the one' and sadly you may have to do some driving to find it.
5) Plan your build but do it in pieces so you try things out and see what works for you and what doesn't
6) Don't reinvent the wheel when designing the interior - copy/steal others ideas!
7) If a post sounds really good go see it ASAP as there are many people looking out there and the good deals don't usually last.

I've spent 2 months looking and found a 97 E150 4x4 with 63k miles for 9k so it can be done. Now working on the build and
hope to be done for under well under 15k total but am doing the work myself.

As far as your dog goes if you insulate the van well and have some down comforters in it it will be pretty cozy.

When searching craigslist use search tempest (if you aren't already) also try many different key words - don't rely on the intelligence of others
as you will often be let down.

Here's an example craigslist title

"2005 custom chev xpress 1500 van 78000 mi"

http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/4294879193.html

Who's going to find that with the text spelling? I found it by searching for "differential van" trying to key off of a locking differential.
For what it's worth this might be a good van (can get you where you want to go and has a bed set up already) but the kid seemed
insulted when I mentioned 9.5K for the van (and it has a limited slip not a locker but he didn't seem to grasp the difference).

Also try "4WD van" instead of "4x4 van"/"AWD van" or just "van" and read every one. Additionally sometimes search tempest doesn't find everything
and often I found things buy searching many geographical areas daily.

Here's one in Redding CA (not to far) the lady is a bit slow to reply on the email but I did get the feeling that they would take 9k cash
(she said her husband would probably do that if I was talking cash not loan (not sure whay that really matters). She did send me
the VIN and the Carfax info checks out. I'd make SURE before you went to see it but it's an AWD express with under 80k miles.
Cargo so you'd have to build it out.It does have rear heat and ac while running which would be good for warming up the interior
before bed time.

Good luck and be paitent you should be able to find something within a month or so of looking. But

Oh and keep an eye on thunders garage vans for sale

http://thundersgarage.weebly.com/rides-4-sale.html

Good luck and have fun :)

kev

Cole

Expedition Leader
1) The quickest way to become a VW mechanic is to buy a VW.
2) Unless you really know you need 4x4 you can survive with AWD + wench or RWD + locking read end + wench.

kev

What if I want to become a Ford mechanic? Should I buy a Ford?!:coffeedrink: I'd love to work on an SR71 Blackbird....do I need to buy one?:coffeedrink:

And why do I need some "wench" helping me get stuck/unstuck! Wouldn't I be better off traveling alone and having a "winch" on the vehicle?:coffeedrink:

just kev

What if I want to become a Ford mechanic? Should I buy a Ford?!:coffeedrink: I'd love to work on an SR71 Blackbird....do I need to buy one?:coffeedrink:

And why do I need some "wench" helping me get stuck/unstuck! Wouldn't I be better off traveling alone and having a "winch" on the vehicle?:coffeedrink:

That's an awfully old bird...

Never trust a mathematician to spell...Then again another set of hands can never hurt when you're stuck and digging out if you don't have a winch to help :)

With respect to the VWs, everyone I know that owns one says that it's the fastest way to become a VW mechanic.

John W

Observer
I've used adhuntr.com [sic] for craigslist with good results, not sure if it's any better/worse/different.

HoboJen

Adventurer
just got home from checking out a ford aerostar. not to buy, but to see what he did with it.... this is pushing me back towards mini vans. we're talking about a simple convertible couch/sleeping platform/lounge. and also an extra battery (but no inverter and plug-ins). and sewn curtains. that's it. i liked it and think i can fit all my crap... but still not sure.

i liked his bed design and would probably copy that in whatever I end up getting (provided it needs one). he said i can borrow it when i'm ready and copy it.

it'd be nice to drive something smaller, less initial cost, and spend less on gas.

but the space :coffee:

HoboJen

Adventurer
It's too bad it's not about 15 years in the future. There are finally more fuel-efficient van platforms infiltrating the US market, such as the Ram Promaster, Ford Transit (not the Connect), Nissan NV200 and Nissan NV 4.0.

For some inspiration on van build-ins, I camped next to these guys last Fall. They did some clever but relatively simple design and construction for the interior of their E-150 and lived/traveled in it for a year straight. They just recently sold it, but they have the drawings/photos on their blog:

http://www.expandoutdoors.com/blog/category/the-advanture/the-van/

thanks for sharing this! this is very similar to my vision i've had for this. but now i am back in minivan mindset.

I deleted my earlier post because I didn't want to further overwhelm you with additional options, but as you seem to be opening up to other possibilities, I thought I'd suggest a pickup-based vehicle. Pickups have more diverse drivetrain options (including manual transmissions and more engine choices), better availability of 4wd, more entries from the imports and lots of possibilities for the living quarters. I prefer the driving experience of a pickup: the cab is easily closed off from the living quarters, helping isolate the rattles and swinging objects from behind for more serenity at the wheel and there's more leg room. They're also easier to work on, with the full-length hood.

I've always liked the carpet inserts/sleeping platforms that can be built/bought and used under a shell:

329127d1191640027-ford-long-bed-carpet-kit-carpet-kit2.jpg

I ended up with an old, pop-up truck camper in my old Toyota truck. I really like it...it's a capable, low-cost, fuel-efficient combo with a comfy living area and nice amenities.

P1020261.jpg

The dogs like it too!

P1010994.jpg

Some roof-lift mechanisms even allow boats to stay on top while the roof is being raised/lowered. The lower bed is usable with the roof lowered for stealth camping.

It is tough to beat the interior volume of a van, but I'm not much of a van fan, myself (probably not the best forum area to admit that in). Although some do go a long time, I'm not completely comfortable with the V8/auto trans combos of the big 3 and the limited engine access makes me nervous.

i do like your truck set up. but i'll still probably end up with a van.

HoboJen

Adventurer
i also attempted putting a creeker on the aerostar... that was hard enough... and it wasn't a big van or a high top.

Cole

Expedition Leader
just got home from checking out a ford aerostar. not to buy,

Whew........you'll never get laid in one of those :coffeedrink:

On a serious note, go look at one of those 1993 Eurovan pop tops! It has 2 beds already built into it, a popup table, small fridge, house battery already wired in, sliding side windows with screens, curtains, Poptop for standing room/venting room in hot climates, good fuel mileage, and going up in value not down like all the others.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I stole this picture from another thread. This is inside a Eurovan Camper. So a Eurovan Weekender wouldn't have the stove/cabinet built in stock. BUT, its a great picture to illustrate how nice it is to have a Poptop! Makes the van feel huge when camping but tiny when traveling!

Stand up to get dressed, stretch, move about, cook, etc! Also gives you a "guest" bedroom upstairs for this people you don't really want to snuggle with.:coffeedrink: I'm 6'2" 215lbs and have slept "upstairs" in my Weekender Eurovan while a buddy slept "downstairs". Works out well!

9227661072_1096dc62bf_b_d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy