So I'm buying a van...

HoboJen

Adventurer
I think you need to go spend a few nights in a few vans if possible. Camping in, getting buy with, and LIVING IN, are all pretty different!

No matter how you slice it you are going to spend A LOT OF TIME inside this van! Whether it's staying warm, dry, cool, sleeping, eating, chilling on the Internet, etc.

that is a good idea....

T.Low

Expedition Leader
just got home from checking out a ford aerostar. not to buy, but to see what he did with it.... this is pushing me back towards mini vans. we're talking about a simple convertible couch/sleeping platform/lounge. and also an extra battery (but no inverter and plug-ins). and sewn curtains. that's it. i liked it and think i can fit all my crap... but still not sure.

i liked his bed design and would probably copy that in whatever I end up getting (provided it needs one). he said i can borrow it when i'm ready and copy it.

it'd be nice to drive something smaller, less initial cost, and spend less on gas.

but the space :coffee:

This here is the key. Get off the internet and onto the pavement.

A sprinter is sweet because you can build a platform high enough to place ww boats on their sides underneath and still have plenty of head room above. The sooner you test drive a sprinter, the sooner you'll know wether you want to be driving something that big or not. If not, then cross it off your list and your search becomes that much easier with one less model to look at.

I agree with Wiley: if you jumped in an Astro and immediately felt it was too small, it's just going to get smaller with bins of gear, clothes, dog, dude, and camp gear. I come from a backpacking, kayak camping, Honda, Toyota background, so my Astro seems ginormous for my family and myself, but I realize the size is not for everyone.

I tell people all the time that there is no way in hell that I'm buying today, but will you still let me test drive. Be upfront and honest. Some will let you, some will not. That's fine. But you will learn a lot by driving and laying around inside the various vans.

While doing research, I joined the sportsmobile forum, the samba, yotavans, astrosafarivans, econoline forum , expo, Delicaforums, and researched for 8 months before deciding on what was right for me. (Yes , I had a new f150 quad cab 4x4 in in the meantime, so no it's not like I did without)

Stay away from the Aerostar .

And know your pricing so you don't overpay. Then you don't have to worry so much about any sort of commitment to the van. If you don't like it, start shopping for model you think will work better. You're not going to marry it.

Last edited:

Cole

Expedition Leader
Not to offend anyone with an Aerostar. I'm sure they are fine. To me they already have that "I'm homeless" look. Even nice ones seem to look abandoned anytime you park them. Which could attract the wrong type of attention. Part of being stealth is not looking out of place. Too fancy or too ghetto.

Maybe I just haven't seen a decent Aerostar in awhile? Maybe they are just all junky here? I don't see them often so they can't be that bulletproof! The ones I do see look like they need put out of their misery!

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Really? Astro has 170 cubic feet and Aerostar has 172.5. That is according to web sources. They are pretty close in size.

I think the reason you don't see as many is that it was discontinued in 97 and the Astro was 2005. About 2m Aerostars and 3.2m Astros

I only have experience with the Aerostar and it was great for our family. Over 300k when we sold it. Was a great rig for us. Everything I have heard about the Astro is that it is pretty good too. Especially the later models.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Really? Astro has 170 cubic feet and Aerostar has 172.5. That is according to web sources. They are pretty close in size.

Out of curiosity I looked up the Eurovan. Its 187 cubic feet without the top up! Which obviously adds a ton more space. Which is interesting since it's about an inch shorter and 5" narrower than an Astro. So obviously a more efficient use of space.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
What is headroom difference between the Aerostar and Astro? That's a priority when boat camping. The Astro is already lower than she wanted. What's the horsepower and tourque difference between the two?. She's going to be heading up mountains overloaded with boats, peeps, and gear. Speaking of overloaded, what's the load capacity difference?

When the headroom is too low to put boats on edge ( in order to fit more than two) under a platform, and then be able to sit upright on the platform, then you need to put them on top of the vehicle. My buddy sold his 4cyl Tacoma because he too often couldn't cruise in 5 th gear on the flats in any type of wind with boats on top, and he was also tired of struggling in the mountain passes. The 4 cyl ended up getting worse mpg than my same year Tacoma v6 on the same trips.

I replaced my Tacoma because with a stack of boats on the roof rack, the truck swayed and moved around way too much. ( There were too many other things about the Tacoma that I didn't like so it was not just a case of stiffening up the suspension).
Even the top heavy Astro seemed more planted.

I seem to remember the Eurovan has quite a bit more headroom. It was a determining factor in a buddies choice to get the VW over the Chevy because it is that much easier to load his race moto inside, not to mention his dad owns a German auto repair shop.

Last edited:

Goochm

Observer
Ok, I'm going to add my 2 cents. For seven years I lived out of my Land Rover Disco1. When the 5spd went out I deceided to get a van. After

Goochm

Observer
Dang phone...after months of searching I came upon a '97 Dodge 2500 conversion with a stripped interior. 800 bucks in wood and miscellany to build an interior I couldn't be happier. It's like a mansion! I kept it simple, seven-gallon jug for water, ice chest, and single-burner stove. I'm happy. Simplest is best! (Tho I'd rather have a Ford).

Goochm

Observer
Uh, it's shockingly crude, all done with a $20 drill and a $20 jigsaw. But, it works so far, and it's mine, and it's paid for! I'll try to get some pics on soon, as it is I cannot get a good enough cell sig o send pix. By the way,Cole, your stuff is awesome cool!

Cole

Expedition Leader
Uh, it's shockingly crude, all done with a $20 drill and a $20 jigsaw. But, it works so far, and it's mine, and it's paid for! I'll try to get some pics on soon, as it is I cannot get a good enough cell sig o send pix. By the way,Cole, your stuff is awesome cool!

Thanks!:wings:

I'm sure you've figured out that my tool box is also full of "cheap tools"! Whatever gets the job done!(unfortunately for me I like rigs that aren't inherently cheap:coffeedrink:)......bit find a way to make it work.

ALWAYS....love to see pictures of what others have done! I've gotten some of the best ideas from the strangest places!:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy