So I'm buying a van...

HoboJen

Adventurer
Just an observation born of hard won experience over the years. If you focus too much on creating the perfect plan, you'll end up never implementing ANY plan. Plan Good Enough is good enough. Pick a direction and roll with it, or you'll find out it's time to roll and you've nothing to roll with. You can tweak plan Good Enough as you go. Savy? :)

i dig it.

HoboJen

Adventurer
Part of the reason I avoided them as an initial recommendation. Having actually done a VW Eurovan Poptop Swap, its a pretty secure design when closed. Not perfect by any means and would be a pain to raise/lower with boats on top without stronger struts.

I'm sure a design could be made to make a boat rack that rode just outboard of the poptop:snorkel: Might widen the track width abit but the thing is already super narrow.

he has the stronger struts on it. i don't see going long distances with more than 4 boats. he said he has lifted it with up to 3 boats on top. the 10 boat thing is more for when you're driving shuttle...

HoboJen

Adventurer
so anyway, time well spent at the mechanic. the guy owns a subigon himself so he knew what he was looking at.

he gave me what he thought the value was, and also the repairs in my future. this included exhaust manifolds, muffler, fuel pump, and tranny work as it is leaking. so i got estimates for all of that stuff. needless to say, the original price we agreed on isn't going to fly.

SO. I think I'm going to make him an offer. And I think knowing what he has into it, he might not accept it, and that's ok because there are a lot of options out there.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
^ I like that, all the hard work is already done so more time and money left over. Maybe doesn't provide the same sort of aesthetic appeal as a whatever-gon but that could be more appealing in itself.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
With the lower roof and the bed in it sideways it would be perfect for someone 5 feet tall... I can't sleep sideways in a sprinter (and i've tried).

That stealth sprinter is a really sweet build... looks more like an apartment than an RV. The disappearing bed into the ceiling is really well done - almost don't notice it there.

HoboJen

Adventurer
here's a question. for the vanagon i was looking at, any idea how much new tires go for? the wheels are bigger than stock... i asked what size they were and he couldn't exactly remember... and i didn't go look at them to see..

HoboJen

Adventurer
If you buy this, and happen upon other enthusiasts on the road, never EVER call this a van. You'll be tarred and feathered. It's a Bus, never ever a "van". :)

hahaha :) thanks for the tip. i think it's awesome but i'm not sure it's what i want anyway. but still cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy