So I'm buying a van...

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Vanagon transmissions aren't known to be overly stout.
If the shop is saying it needs a new one I would plan on that expense.
Especially with the extra horsepower of the subject engine.

As far as adding a/c it's possible, but most aftermarket systems are junk.
If you need a vehicle with a/c find one that has a factory unit.

Last edited:

HoboJen

Adventurer
i haven't thought too much about the AC because it hasn't been working on my car for awhile. and i've had other cars without it too. and living in seattle it's not too big of deal. but you guys are right that i need to consider it more for traveling south with a dog. good to know that aftermarket systems aren't so good.

java

Expedition Leader
Walk away from that van. Its overpriced IMO, and from the shop report sounds like not the best swap done. And if he isn't at least willing to negotiate on some of the repairs (if not all!) run away!

HoboJen

Adventurer
Walk away from that van. Its overpriced IMO, and from the shop report sounds like not the best swap done. And if he isn't at least willing to negotiate on some of the repairs (if not all!) run away!

I'm at 11 and he's at 14. he disagrees with the shop. i'm working on my list of why i won't pay 14. i would definitely walk away at 14. At 11 though... I'd buy it.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
i guess i just don't know about this stuff and i'm not sure who to believe.

Here's the thing, Jen:

Every single option you've considered has likely been utilized by someone before you for US and/or world travel.

Eurovans
Vanagons
VW buses
Ford E150/250/350
Chevy Astro/GMC Safari
Minivans like Ford winstars/Toyota previa's/Sienna's

And guess what, they ALL have broken down and needed repairs at some point.

Diesel/gas/LPG, etc, etc...

And guess what: they have all provided a very, very good platform for the travellers that chose them despite mechanical woes.

I think you know what you need to do:

1. you need to find the cleanest, newest, van with the best maintenence records possible.
2. Buy it.
3. Perform baseline maintenence like belts/hoses/bearings/fluids/check brakes/change filters etc.
4. Add a good set of heavy duty tires like BFG's or Continentals/michelin's, etc.
5. If it's not a VW, figure out your sleep/cooking situation and then...

Go!

java

Expedition Leader
I'm at 11 and he's at 14. he disagrees with the shop. i'm working on my list of why i won't pay 14. i would definitely walk away at 14. At 11 though... I'd buy it.

Why not look at a newer euro van then? You almost at their prices.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
well thanks for this... i would love as many points as possible. original list was 17k without racks. he has 17k in it. we came in around 15.5k with racks pending mechanical inspection. The shop estimated the value at 10-12k and had about 3350 in recommended repairs and also that recommendation for new tires. also said the gearing could be upgraded for 2k but it isn't necessary. well, needless to say he disagrees with everything the shop said, so i'm not sure what to do.

so the transmission is still the original and it has an oil leak at the large oring where the tranny comes loose from the drive gear housing. estimate of $1475 to remove and install and overhaul differential assembly. he says it simply needs fixed and should be a $300 servicing (replace fluid and gasket). i say, it's still the original tranny. thoughts on the tranny?

they say the exhaust needs to be redone for this engine and that it needs a new muffler. on the estimate it says "install the CORRECT exhaust manifolds for this engine and a new muffler. estimate of $1098. he says "Still not sure why they want to replace something with only a few thousand miles on it (headers (manifold)). When I was looking to replace the muffler and cat, I was going to just to get more flow, and because it doesn't look pretty. If you get a new mail order exhaust pre-built for the van it is around $1000, but if you go to a custom exhaust shop they charge around $300." looking at the checklist, it says that the muffler/exhaust is leaking with holes.

and they said the front headlight is cracked and that is $100. he says he'll throw in a new bulb because it's only a few dollars. are these guys on the same page with the problem?

and they say it needs new tires, he says, but they have another summer on them and they would be about $600.

so anyway. help me negotiate, because i clearly suck at this and my lack of knowledge is highly apparent. the shop did say that all the work the guy did was great. no comment on paint job.

That's tough, if I was selling a car and the shop that inspected it listed a BUNCH of stuff to repair, I think I'd disagree, too. Then again, if he can show proof of his cost estimates, that would at least show that he has some basis for his disagreement, without that it's going to be tough to work him down.

As far as you sucking at this - car buying is always an adventure. When you find the "right one", it'll just click. Might want to hop on a site like "the samba" and do some reading about veedubs.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Vanagon transmissions aren't know to be overly stout.
If the shop is saying it needs a new one I would plan on that expense.
Especially with the extra horsepower of the subject engine.

As far as adding a/c it's possible, but most aftermarket systems are junk.
If you need a vehicle with a/c find one that has a factory unit.

Vanagon auto trannies are actually supposed to be fairly stout. More durable than the 5 speeds, surprisingly.

HoboJen

Adventurer
That's tough, if I was selling a car and the shop that inspected it listed a BUNCH of stuff to repair, I think I'd disagree, too. Then again, if he can show proof of his cost estimates, that would at least show that he has some basis for his disagreement, without that it's going to be tough to work him down.

As far as you sucking at this - car buying is always an adventure. When you find the "right one", it'll just click. Might want to hop on a site like "the samba" and do some reading about veedubs.

well i guess they listed three things. is that a bunch?

1-exhaust - he thinks it's a 300 job, not 1000 job.
2-tranny - he thinks it needs a 300 service, not a 1500 rebuild. i say sure, i get that, but i think it will need to be rebuilt at some point since it's original.
3-fuel pump - he didn't bring that up.

oh yeah. 4 - cracked headlight. i don't really understand this one, because they say it's a 100 fix and he says he'll throw in the bulb that only costs a couple of dollars. i don't think it's just the bulb though and i'm confused.

oh yeah the tires too. he said another summer, which i believe because they still have tread on them, but still looking at 600 after that.

this one had been clicking up until this point. gut feeling is still good. but i still think 14 is too much.

HoboJen

Adventurer
here is his reasoning for the exhuast. "Exhaust. Still not sure why they want to replace something with only a few thousand miles on it (headers (manifold)). When I was looking to replace the muffler and cat, I was going to just to get more flow, and because it doesn't look pretty. If you get a new mail order exhaust pre-built for the van it is around $1000, but if you go to a custom exhaust shop they charge around $300."

now they said the header pipe is cracked and the muffler is bad. also says leaking with holes. so this one i'm not really understanding.

and oh yeah, i have registered at the samba but still have a lot of reading to do.

HoboJen

Adventurer
he also says, "So, If you take that shop's word as fact, your offer seems okay, but it simply isn't reality. I also would like to sell it, too. I would sell it to you for $14,000. Like I said before, I think you have already moved on, but if you wan to do research and see that what I am saying is easily backed up, go for it. Otherwise, I will assume you are looking elsewhere.

If you find anything to back up what the shop is saying, let me know, because I couldn't."

he is confident in his disagreements.

java

Expedition Leader
Well get under there and look. If the exhaust has ****ty welds that are leaking you can usually pick it out. Look for soot. Yes replacing a muffler is a $300 job, if the header is cracked that's not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl