So tired of breaking R180s

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Atrac is nothing more than the software written into the traction control system programming. It is very sensitive to wheel slip at speeds under 7mph.

The Xterra system is built like this natively... there is no button to turn it on or off. If you have ever noticed that the traction control system is much more senstive in 4-lo compared to 4-hi.... thats the same effect that atrac has (except Toyota gives you a fancy button and acronym to tell your friends about).

Just dont tell the FJ Cruiser guys...!

justbecause

perpetually lost
I think my confusion is starting with you saying you can turn ABLS off by pressing the button on the stack.

the other 4 tabs I have pulled up right now say there is no way to disable ABLS without disconnecting the ABC sensors. I would go look at my dash, but I am in the rogue today, frontier is at the house.

skibum315

Explorer
ABLS cannot be (switch) disabled ... to my knowledge. The vehicle may disable it along with the ABS system, if there is an ABS system malfunction (like the steering angle sensor mentioned, or a wheel sensor, for example).

As was mentioned, ABLS and VDC are separate systems ... another way to look at ABLS is as a software enabled limited slip.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Update - have now also broken the spider gears in the C200 rear axle as well.

I used to drive my Land Rovers harder than this without breaking this many differential parts (and those are known to have diffs made of glass)

Researching replacement options now...

Dmski

Adventurer
Was this on the same trip? Or is this something you found out later? Sounds like ARB rear then or just new spider gears? C200 aren't inherently weak, or so I've heard thus far. Usually people say they are about as strong as the M226 rear ends of the Pro4x (Dana 44 variant)

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Front diff #1: Vermont

Front diff #2: Colorado

Rear diff #1: Moab

When this problem is solved it will be solved once and for all. I'm tied up in some other financial obligations at the moment so the Xterra is just sitting. On the plus side I was able to drive it 2500 miles home without issue (even averaging 20mpg) after having the rear diff welded up into a spool in Moab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven