So whats the future?

Clutch

<---Pass
Little vans are cool, but you can't have both a camper and haul bikes inside. I thought you didn't want bikes and gas inside ?

I finally sold my 02 F350 Diesel, it was sitting around too much, cashed out while the 7.3's are still hot.One thing I didn't like about a truck/popup camper was a lack of pass through and popping the top, kinda hard to occasionaly stealth camp with the lid popped up.
Bought a van to turn into a camper but will be hauling the bike on a hitch rack.
View attachment 393891

Yeah, don't want to haul a bike inside because of the fumes...but you asked if they would fit, and they do! :D

That is what I like about vans over truck popups, the pass through...however, don't like it enough to spend $50K on. Which is a 4WD Sprinter or Transit with a 4WD conversion. Sure I could go with an E-Series, but I really don't like them, had to drive those miserable things for years. Couldn't wait for the work day to be over so I can jump back in my Toyota.

I can stealth camp in a popup, am skinny enough I can squeeze through the rear slider into the bed of my truck, and sleep with the camper top closed.

Did go look at the Metris, small enough and gets decent enough fuel economy that I could daily drive it comfortably...however it can basically get me to the trail head and that is about it., wouldn't stray too far off pavement with it. I know if I bought one, would be regretting my purchase. Looking for a new do-it-all vehicle. So far nothing beats (for the price) a Tacoma with a Habitat. Or even a Chevy Colorado, though I don't trust them for long term reliability.

Last edited:

UHAULER

Explorer
Clutch, it's funny how people like different vehicles for different reasons. For my budget an older van was on the short list.
My wife had a 1994 toyota x-cab, 4wd ,22r, bought new. For me it was a compromise vehicle, she didn't want a full size and I didn't want a small car. After we bought her a 2012 Pathfinder in 2015, I had the choice to keep my 91 Trooper as my second vehicle or keep her old truck. After driving it to work a couple of times, I remembered why I didn't like it much, rough riding, uncomfortable and gutless, even compared to the Trooper.

Clutch

<---Pass
Clutch, it's funny how people like different vehicles for different reasons. For my budget an older van was on the short list.
My wife had a 1994 toyota x-cab, 4wd ,22r, bought new. For me it was a compromise vehicle, she didn't want a full size and I didn't want a small car. After we bought her a 2012 Pathfinder in 2015, I had the choice to keep my 91 Trooper as my second vehicle or keep her old truck. After driving it to work a couple of times, I remembered why I didn't like it much, rough riding, uncomfortable and gutless, even compared to the Trooper.

I know, uh! Any time I in an E-Series...I can almost hear the pipe fittings rattling around in the back. Couldn't imagine traveling around in one....brings back too many nightmares! Couple years ago, we had to rent one....thought to myself...oh yeah, now I remember how horrible these things were...can we rent a truck next time? :D Can't quite understand why guys go ga-ga over them. As they say different strokes for different strokes.

Now...Econoline vs. Transit. Did like how the Transit drove well over the E-Series, it is like night and day between the two... even with the naturally aspirated V6, plenty of power for me, just will take too much money to get it where I want it.

_hein_

Observer
They show the Ctek 100A off-road charging system (link) later in the Hyundai Solati video above (@7.44) This is the system we have in our Transit. To save interior space, It's all mounted under the vehicle with the battery bank.

Now and in the future, a well integrated auxiliary power system will be essential to any van up/out-fit project. Gone are the days when slapping on a solenoid would do the trick. Ctek is on the right path to support that. We do like our Transit and it's starting to take on a look of it's own. At this point it has a power system and a bed so pretty much ready to load the gear and head off for a spring adventure.

Transit_Rial_Transporter16x6_Michelin_LTX235-70-R16_sideview.jpg

build thread

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz