So whats the future?

zuren

Adventurer
I know this thread is a month old but I have similar thoughts...what's next after my existing van? I'm 6'2" so there are times that I kick myself for not buying a taller vehicle. My horizon is probably ~5 years out...

Chevy
Chevy discontinued the AWD Express in 2014 but 2WD Express vans are still being made. No factory high top. Fuel mileage is decent for such a large vehicle (I get around 20MPG rolling at 60-65MPH with the cruise set). 4x4 requires conversion unless you get an AWD and do a light conversion like I did (or leave it as is).

Ford
Econoline is only a cutaway as of 2015. Plenty of used vans around so supply and aftermarket support should last a while. No factory high top. 4x4 requires conversion.

Nissan
I've been sniffing around the NV platform a little after seeing some mildly and extremely built rigs (eg, NV CargoX); I don't love the looks of the factory NV but with a lift and big tires they look good. But I'm disappointed to see such crappy fuel mileage that would only get worse by adding 4x4 hardware. Factory high top. 4x4 requires conversion. Possibility of a 4x4, Cummins NV is intriguing.

MB/Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter
This might be the direction I go in the future. Factory high top, diesel engine, 4x4 available from the factory now (so used units will become available in the near future), good fuel economy.

Another part of me keeps looking at the DIY Earthroamer/TigerRV type builds.....quad cab 1-ton or larger, flatbed, 4x4 truck with a coach on the back. The idea of having a multi-roll vehicle with 4-5 forward facing seats and a coach that can be set off is attractive. Then I always migrate back to vans.

Last edited:

dentedvw

Wire twister
I have a 4x4 NV2500. It's been good. It's not as awesome off road as the old E350 was, but it pays dividends on road, which is most of our driving. Major downfall is the suspension, it's not made for rough road use. I burn through struts pretty quick. Killed first set at about 50k, and 21k of that was before I owned it, 100% pavement. In the summer/fall we spend a lot of time on washboard, and the van isn't good at that, yet. Needs some skilled suspension work done on it, but no shops in SLC are willing to work on it, because it's not a Jeep, or Dodge, or etc. If there isn't a bolt on solution, they aren't interested.
So, that's another major problem. No aftermarket anything. NOTHING. Want shocks? Good luck. I am using lifted Tacoma shocks in the back. Wasted in less than 25k. Don't want to run 80PSI in the back tires (think little house on the prarie wagon rides), deal with dash lights. Hate OEM front struts? Too bad, it's all there is. Want a locker? NOPE. Maybe in a few years I can use a Titan XD locker, but it's all experimental. 285 tires appear to be the limit for this van. Probably just as well, it's 9'8" tall as it is.

FWIW, I don't feel that the additional equipment (weight) of the 4x4 killed my mileage. Then again, I am not a miser watching the pennies. I already bought into the 4x4 van, so it is pointless to fret now.

But, I bought into this because at the time there was no Transit. MB Sprinter was crazy money. Our old Ford was questionable on every trip. We were 50% failure rate on road trips, and it got real, real old. Blowing spark plugs. Failing cooling system. One thing after another. I don't want to pull the engine apart during every road trip. I don't want to worry about whether I am making it home for work. The NV has been really reliable, can't say that about our old E350.
Plus, I like standing up from the drivers seat, and walking into the back, without hunching over. I really like that.

There isn't now, nor will there ever be any significant aftermarket support for the NV. I have given up on that.

Is it great looking? No. But I don't worry about that either. The MB and the Transit are far better looking. Meh. I don't have to look at it, everyone else does.

The Transit has parts bins to raid from other trucks, and that is nice. But, it was more than twice the price. MB Sprinter? Well documented hassles, and hugely expensive. Way better looking though. :)

I have a Transit as my work vehicle, and it's nice enough. Definitely parts bin vehicle though. Steering wheel from a focus, for example. Front suspension looks like it came from the same. Soooo tiny. And it's no V8. :)

Clutch

<---Pass
They don't have a proper mid sized van. They should have this.

http://www.extremfahrzeuge.com/ford-tourneo-transit-custom.html

Ford_Tourneo_Transit_Custom_4x4.jpg

That is what the market needs, really liked the VW Westy I had...would love a modern replacement of it.

All this talk of super chargers, big diesels, and what not....I want small and efficient. Used to have to drive E-Series vans for a living for our swimming pool business...gawd I hate those things, can almost smell the Oatey pipe glue when I see one.

Wish we could get the VW T6 here.

http://multicamper.com/

a332f4597afe0ab9c7a54efdc4b7ec0f.jpg

another_mike

Adventurer
That is what the market needs, really liked the VW Westy I had...would love a modern replacement of it.

All this talk of super chargers, big diesels, and what not....I want small and efficient. Used to have to drive E-Series vans for a living for our swimming pool business...gawd I hate those things, can almost smell the Oatey pipe glue when I see one.

Wish we could get the VW T6 here.

http://multicamper.com/
Is there really a shortage of small and efficient vans right now? I feel like, despite the factory VW camper not being available here, there are numerous new vans to choose from as a platform to begin a build.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Is there really a shortage of small and efficient vans right now? I feel like, despite the factory VW camper not being available here, there are numerous new vans to choose from as a platform to begin a build.

Nothing 4WD, nor gets 30+ mpg. Sprinter is too big, smallest Transit (which is still big) still doesn't get very good mileage, even with the diesel. Still needs to be converted to 4WD, which isn't cheap.

Sprinter dwarfs the VW, too fricken big.

images.jpeg

I looked at Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna, but the Japanese mini vans don't come in a stripped down utility package to get the price point low, nor have good ground clearance. Would be nice if we could get the Toyota Hiace....that is what I am looking for, something that is about the size of a VW Syncro.

7002492748_dc7b1435fb_b.jpg

Would prefer the forward control

14701191_1010807785694268_3069698471746338816_n.jpg

But this would work too.

e2fffba40e56fed134fa56ad01a8e8b5.jpg

Metris is kinda close, don't think anyone is converting them to 4WD here. No diesel available in the States either.

Price point on the Merc is good at $25K, with no 4WD...for that you can buy a base model SR Tacoma with 4WD from the factory.

So....there really isn't anything out there that is 4WD, good ground clearance and at that price point. Now only if there was a van body on a Tacoma chassis, that would be killer...

9f574b67336fab3a52091b641968e97e.jpg

Cheapest Tranist I can find is $25K...Quigley will do a 4WD conversion for probably $14K by the time everything is said and done...those GTRV popups run what $7K? That is approaching nearly $50K...and haven't even begun the interior. Don't think you can shift on the fly into 4WD with the Quigley...seems like I read somewhere you have to stop and hold the brake to engage it...in this day and age it needs to be shift on the fly. Especially shelling out $12-14K too!

SR ACLB Tacoma $25K....AT Habitat or All Terrain Camper Shell...$8-10K. $11K+ of savings right off the top. Which buys a legendary drivetrain that is highly capable right off the showroom floor, and leaves and awful lot of cash left over for fuel and food. Icing on the cake is that it still has a manual trans. No US spec van has a manual trans that I know of. Mazda did one for awhile...aftermarket support is zilch.

Perfect camper van for me and the money I want to spend happens to be a truck. I can't find any van that checks off all those boxes.

Last edited:

another_mike

Adventurer
All cool little vans, but a niche market, and I doubt they would sell well. People on this continent would rather have something with twice as much room.

Clutch

<---Pass
All cool little vans, but a niche market, and I doubt they would sell well. People on this continent would rather have something with twice as much room.

Yep...'Merica...the whole bigger is better mentally. Find people "needing" 900 ft lbs of torque a little funny. Used to operate heavy equipment too for our business...now-a-days I don't want anything huge, want compact and easy to drive.

Loved the size of the VW we had, it was perfect...nothing in the US market really quite like it.

Metris is kinda close...but want the offroad capability of my Tacoma, without breaking the bank.

That and loose space with it not being forward control, like the compactness of the VW, but don't want wasted space either with a car-like nose.

http://www.gtrv.com/photos?mercedes-metris-westy

mercedes_metris-top-up.jpg

mercedes_metris_cab2.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Clutch, where you gonna put the dirtbike on a minivan ?

Daihatsu Gran Max

IMG_8495_zpsjiqeafjh.jpg

IMG_0507_zpsduslgc8e.jpg

Mercedes Vito (Metris here)

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...rcedesvitosportvanaimedatmotorcycletransport/

Mercedes Vito 4.jpg

VW T5

CC4EAE06-D267-4494-A5EE-D239498CB407-2140-000000F23CE0ADFA_zps4a78c51b.jpg

DSC01170.jpeg

DSC01258.JPG

See what I am thinking here... :D

4beed257072c3cded9ffd3c0825de649 (1).jpg

That or keep on doing what I do now, trailer the bikes...and setup the van just to camp out of like I do with my Tacoma and Wildernest.

13690593_10154406835449630_7389590242400467047_n.jpg

Almost put a hitch on the VW because I liked it better to camp out of than the Tacoma, nice access to the camper from the side door, had a little table in there, fold into a bed seat....loved that thing.
One of my all time favorite vehicles that I have owned.

20131216_132856.jpg

However the Tacoma pulls the moto trailer better. Why I always wanted a modern version of my '73 Westy, but with the capability of the Tacoma. Enough power to pull the bikes comfortably...but not over kill, unlike what most guys on here want. 250hp/250tq (ish) is good enough for me.

Modern version of this. :D This dude needs a bigger trailer, at least I can haul 3 bikes on mine.

733469 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
You pretty much need a Subaru engine in a VW van if you want to haul all that stuff around.

I know...don't want an old Syncro, with an engine conversion, that and used Syncro prices are asinine. Want something that you can buy today off the showroom floor. As usual the rest of the world gets the cool vehicles, and we get behemoths...just too big for my taste. Went from operating huge pieces of equipment, now I like small and compact.

My 1st gen Tacoma with 190hp/220tq...pulls it just fine. Don't need any more than that really.

The Ford Custom that was pictured earlier would be perfect. http://www.ford.co.uk/CommercialVehicles/TransitCustom

Can fit a GS in there.

http://www.thebikeshow.co.za/moreinfo_test.php?t_id=07082013063239

KTMvan.jpg

FORDfront.jpg

Looks to be about the same size of the old VW's.

Last edited:

UHAULER

Explorer
Little vans are cool, but you can't have both a camper and haul bikes inside. I thought you didn't want bikes and gas inside ?

I finally sold my 02 F350 Diesel, it was sitting around too much, cashed out while the 7.3's are still hot.One thing I didn't like about a truck/popup camper was a lack of pass through and popping the top, kinda hard to occasionaly stealth camp with the lid popped up.
Bought a van to turn into a camper but will be hauling the bike on a hitch rack.
DSC00177copy.jpg

mapper

Explorer
Almost put a hitch on the VW because I liked it better to camp out of than the Tacoma, nice access to the camper from the side door, had a little table in there, fold into a bed seat....loved that thing.
One of my all time favorite vehicles that I have owned.

View attachment 393829

However the Tacoma pulls the moto trailer better. Why I always wanted a modern version of my '73 Westy, but with the capability of the Tacoma. Enough power to pull the bikes comfortably...but not over kill, unlike what most guys on here want. 250hp/250tq (ish) is good enough for me.

Modern version of this. :D This dude needs a bigger trailer, at least I can haul 3 bikes on mine.

View attachment 393810

This is where the AWD Astro shines. Add a pop top if you want, otherwise it is like a Metris with AWD and clearance. No low range but pretty good gearing as it sits. 2 speed transfer swaps are well documented. You can be in a reliable, powerful, tow friendly Astro for under $5k. I got mine under $2k and have put over 70,000 miles on it. Naturally not something off the showroom but modern vehicle performance with dated (or base-model as you suggest) convenience features.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Buddy has one of the first MB metris to arrive at the dealer. So far he really likes it. If it holds up he's eyeing the camper conversion kit for it. Not awd but it sounds like MB could offer it easily if the metris has a big enough selling numbers.

Clutch

<---Pass
This is where the AWD Astro shines. Add a pop top if you want, otherwise it is like a Metris with AWD and clearance. No low range but pretty good gearing as it sits. 2 speed transfer swaps are well documented. You can be in a reliable, powerful, tow friendly Astro for under $5k. I got mine under $2k and have put over 70,000 miles on it. Naturally not something off the showroom but modern vehicle performance with dated (or base-model as you suggest) convenience features.

Buying new. Newest Astro is 12 years old, and aren't getting any younger. I don't want to deal with wrenching on it all the time, as I average 25K miles a year.

Buddy has one of the first MB metris to arrive at the dealer. So far he really likes it. If it holds up he's eyeing the camper conversion kit for it. Not awd but it sounds like MB could offer it easily if the metris has a big enough selling numbers.

I went and looked at the Metris, liked it. If it was available in 4WD with lowrange might consider it. No rock crawling, but I use 4WD enough that I would kill a RWD Metris.

In the end, van cost more than what I want to spend to get it to where I want it, nothing beats a Tacoma with a AT Habitat, Flip Pac, or Shell FWC/ATC. The fully built out popup campers are too heavy imo. Would go with a shell. AT Habitat would be better since it is a lot lighter, and can use the bed of the truck for daily duties.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz