So whats the future?

If I didn't have my e series, I'd probably be looking at a mbz metris. I like the modern drivetrain, power, rear wheel drive, fuel efficient, and bigger than the "city vans". I'm a Mercedes mechanic, so the electronics, parts, etc don't bother me much. I have a friend uses a metris for a shuttle, has 170k miles on it in 10 months, 2 windshields, brakes, tires and oil changes.

I don't need 4x4, or a lift really, but since no one does a nice 2/5 lowering kit for the e series, I went 4" up. I think a modern street van would be cool, and suit my needs just dandy.

As for me and my foreseeable future, I'll keep goin with the e series, build the interior out, and use it as much as I can.

86scotty

Cynic
So there are easily 10 times as many 5.4 E-series vans out there as there are diesels or V10s, and they are the exact same except the engine, so why not develop a reliable turbo or supercharged option for the 5.4? My 5-Star tuned 5.4 wasn't bad and I've ridden in a friend's supercharged 5.4 Lightning and it's amazing (I think it's a supercharged 5.4, I'm no expert here). It would seem like 5 grand or so to fit a cheap 5.4 van plus a 4x conversion is still about half the price of a brand new van with little-to-no offroad aftermarket support.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I don't think a Nissan NV converted to 4WD would be much different capability and durability-wise compared to a Sprinter or Transit van.

Old school diesels are great but the new engines will be different with the DPF and SCR systems. That's not gonna change in the future.

A solid axle under the NV will be nice and the toughest of the bunch for sure. Especially with the 5.0 Cummins.

Do you think you will be able to get a transit to work with 35" tires with a reasonable amount of mods? I really know nothing about them so maybe I shouldn't judge or discount them but they just look chincy in stock form.

I know Unibody construction can be as good or better than body on frame construction if done well. Again I have pretty limited knowledge about some of the platforms out there so this discussion is good but my initial impressions of the current offerings aren't great.

35s under a Transit will be TOUGH! Would look sick though.

So there are easily 10 times as many 5.4 E-series vans out there as there are diesels or V10s, and they are the exact same except the engine, so why not develop a reliable turbo or supercharged option for the 5.4? My 5-Star tuned 5.4 wasn't bad and I've ridden in a friend's supercharged 5.4 Lightning and it's amazing (I think it's a supercharged 5.4, I'm no expert here). It would seem like 5 grand or so to fit a cheap 5.4 van plus a 4x conversion is still about half the price of a brand new van with little-to-no offroad aftermarket support.

Fuel mileage. I'd like to put a blower on one though. For less than 5k you can gear it properly and buy a whole lot of fuel.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
GIven that my other rig is a 74, and they stopped making them (Fj40s) in 1984, I think E Series have many more years left in them. It seems a little early to worry about their extinction.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Maybe it would be easier to snatch the entire Super charger system including the ecu from a wrecked F-series?

As for the tranny/t-case, probably have that lying around, maybe under Neil's desk? LOL

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Maybe it would be easier to snatch the entire Super charger system including the ecu from a wrecked F-series?

As for the tranny/t-case, probably have that lying around, maybe under Neil's desk? LOL

Good idea, I better ck his stash. I have the t-case here, just need to find the time to yank the tranny and have it converted. Before Moab I think..... we'll need something to cruise out there!

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Am I the only person who has searched for superchargers for the 2v V10 several times? haha

I thought about it for a 5.4 but don't know if there is physically enough room. Plus the tranny is meh compared to the 5r110.

DAV!D

Adventurer
Excellent question! I've been eyeing the Nissan for quite a while, need to bite the bullet and buy one. We've just been too busy to spend time on development of a 4wd conversion. And there are a few unknowns that could be a game stopper. ABS, traction control, that fun stuff.

I have some new ideas for UJOR that will be happening soon, some fun stuff that brings us a different direction while still focusing on the E series. Restorations and major overhauls, etc will continue as long as people want to pay us to build them! The E series will be around for a while.

I've always been curious if the 4wd Truck parts fit the NV.. I sort of assume no being no one seems to convert them that way, but that would make for a easy swap if they did.

jydog

Looks like several people have allready supercharged an Econoline.

[video]https://youtu.be/4QrjWuFW4Ug[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/JJEYmjZ1UGk[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/gps6MHRcvV0[/video]

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter

Besides the lightning there was also the SC'd Harley Davidson model f150.
Did a search on car-part.com and they seem to be readily available, even rebuilt ones for $650 out of Riverside Ca. although that probably isn't a complete "kit".
Also wondering about needing the Ecu, I don't think my emissions station would like a newer van with an older truck Ecu.

One of the major drawbacks to my v10 is the fuel milage, and no, I have never looked at superchargers for the v10 ;)
I would like to know what the real world milage would be like, Chris how soon can you get started on this?

Also there are many kits for the 5.4 on summit racing, Edelbrock!

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I've always been curious if the 4wd Truck parts fit the NV.. I sort of assume no being no one seems to convert them that way, but that would make for a easy swap if they did.

I think Quigley as well as Advanced mainly uses truck parts to convert them.

NLPRacing

Observer
Looks like several people have allready supercharged an Econoline.

[video]https://youtu.be/4QrjWuFW4Ug[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/JJEYmjZ1UGk[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/gps6MHRcvV0[/video]

I've done a little research and what I have found if that the Lightning supercharger won't fit "under the hood" of a Ford E-Series. But, these supercharged vans above have body lifts because of the wheelchair lifts and dropped floors. The body lift allows enough clearance for the Lightning (or Whipple) supercharger to fit. Chris, would a body lift be feasible on a van with a 4x4 conversion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online