So, Why did you buy a Land Rover?

High Center

Adventurer
I think it was put best by Scott Brady in his D1 build thread:
"I still smile every time I walk up to it. . ."

I feel much the same way. I drove my Brother In Laws FZJ a few weeks ago and while it oozes with capability/reliability- it just didn't do it for me. It's a great truck, don't take me wrong- it just lacked (for me) that certain spark of animation that my Rover seems to have in buckets...

I'll review this thread when I'm wading through my first dire mechanical emergency....

:coffee:
DB

discodisco

Observer
Narrowed to a few reasons

Like some of the other people I was just looking for a decent first 4x4 for the family travels and we bought our 2001 Discovery II. I have ridden in a lot of vehicles all around the world and I sat tin the disco and loved the way it drove. Plenty of room and security for the family of four. It has a ton of character and the company has a lot of history too. But really I enjoy the ride offroad ride more then any of the other vehicles.
As far as our 1973 Land Rover EX-MOD Series III. It is a blast to work on with the family. It is easy to understand even for my wife and I who are not so experienced with cars. No one has anything like it around here. It will be the basis of our long term overlanding build because it is so simple that I won't have to carry many spare parts, but it is also very capable.

stolenheron

Explorer
i was originally looking for a used 07 FJ cruiser basically fully loaded. problem was that they had just come out, very few used, very few 4x4s in the area, and the few that were had crap options. Anyway, i knew that the local land rover dealership had one on their lot for a while, drove by, no FJ cruiser. but there was a pristine 04 White D2 SE7.

thought, hell why not? asked the guy for the keys, mileage was barely over 16,000. test drove it, it had **** tires, the driver's window regulator broke on the test drive, and then i found a diamond earring in the coin tray lol. luxury, functional, fun...couldnt pass it up. ESPECIALLY with the killer deal we got at the time.

been happy ever since.

94Discovery

Adventurer
it was always the safari for me, i used to look at the first camel trophy and dream about the jungle ,all the challenges,got the virus at an early age then i bought my first range rover 2 doors in 2003 then a disco in 2009.:smiley_drive:

OzX

Adventurer
18 years ago I had an FJ55 that I restored:
LC01.jpg

LC03.jpg

I regrettable sold it on a whim. 3 years ago I missed it and thought about getting another one. But then I remembered that when I had my FJ I wished it was a Series LR. So, I said to myself "Why dont you just get a LR?". SO I found this one and imported it from Southampton:
lr14.jpg

This is what I've done so far:
LR01.jpg

Its still got a long way to go.

There are many things I love about LRs. The first I think is that it gives you a sense of adventure, or safari - even though you're just crawling through suburbia. I love that its design is purely utilitarian; simple construction, large flat areas where you can set down tools, easy access to anything that might need repair. Heck you could basically tear down the whole vehicle with a crescent wrench and a screwdriver. If you have a dead battery and you're away from civilization you could use the hand crank to start it. I also love its history and the Dalai Lama, Winston Churchill and the Queen Elizabeth all had LRs - QE even knew how to repair her own!

When I'm driving my S3 around town I invariably get questioned at every stop light. Kinda cool!

SeaRubi

Explorer
It's all the subtleties that I like that nobody really discusses.

-long travel throttle offers good modulation
-slow steering ratio is accurate off-road
-best visibility in any off-road vehicle
-great gear-driven transfer case with diff-lock and a good ratio
-fixed output on gearbox
-flush doorhandles
-aligned diffs
-brilliant chassis clearance. 32's and the same clearance as most other vehicles with 33's or taller
-robust frame takes the abuse
-nearly indestructible front-end suspension with the radius arms
-rear three-link with good articulation
-brilliant suspension overall. very predictable, articulation great with mild lift and moderate shock travel.
-good COG with aluminum body and low, heavy drive train

All those little things add up. If you're aware of how the vehicle works, increased driver skill can go a long way with these trucks.

When I first started campaigning my RRC it was bone stock and sitting on 235/70-16 tires. It went, literally, everywhere. I didn't know any rover folks for the first few years and the only place to hang-out for trail-info was the local 4x4 email list. Not surprisingly, they were mostly jeep and toyota mini-truck guys and they were all highly amused that someone wanted to take a Range Rover onto their trails. I just started going, foolishly, with a hi-lift and a shovel. I wore out and popped all the tires. by this point I'd made a few good friends with coiler Landies, and we started wheeling more. I bumped up to 235/85's on the stock suspension and it was just about unstoppable. Looking back, I should have just dropped in the detroit and left it ... but I went crazy on it. Those first few years of wheelin' were the best ones.

that's daylight on the top of the 235/85, stock springs, and the rear swaybar is attached.

stock_springs_with32s.jpeg

those were good times :beer: After taking a break for a few years with jeeps, I'm looking forward to putting my new-to-me D1 through it's paces. In many ways, it's the same truck as the RRC. Everything about it is immediately familiar - the ride, how it drives and feels. It's good to be back. Who wants some running boards? :elkgrin:

disco_sm4.jpg

cheers,
ike

Green96D1

Explorer
It's all the subtleties that I like that nobody really discusses.

-long travel throttle offers good modulation
-slow steering ratio is accurate off-road
-best visibility in any off-road vehicle
-great gear-driven transfer case with diff-lock and a good ratio
-fixed output on gearbox
-flush doorhandles
-aligned diffs
-brilliant chassis clearance. 32's and the same clearance as most other vehicles with 33's or taller
-robust frame takes the abuse
-nearly indestructible front-end suspension with the radius arms
-rear three-link with good articulation
-brilliant suspension overall. very predictable, articulation great with mild lift and moderate shock travel.
-good COG with aluminum body and low, heavy drive train
increased driver skill can go a long way with these trucks.

disco_sm4.jpg

cheers,
ike

very true and Nice Disco that's how mines looked and I miss it :victory:

Wander

Expedition Leader
Mine choose me. I did look for one and considered other choices but when I pulled up to look at the IIa the first time it just felt right and I knew I'd be back with a check and a trailer.

Every time I see it in the garage or when I roll it out to do some work it makes me smile.

midessa7

baught land rover

Bought a land rover because I like breaking down and spending tons of money on the same parts I can buy for any other vehicle for half the price. I wouldn't have it any other way, besides what other vehicle makes you look under it every time you get in it or out of it to see if it's leaking something. What fun would it be if nothing broke down, then I would have nothing to complain about.

midessa7

Ron B

Explorer
Bought a land rover because I like breaking down and spending tons of money on the same parts I can buy for any other vehicle for half the price. I wouldn't have it any other way, besides what other vehicle makes you look under it every time you get in it or out of it to see if it's leaking something. What fun would it be if nothing broke down, then I would have nothing to complain about.

midessa7

funny post -- but you are not alone. I bet anyone with an equally capable vehicle (no matter the make) does the same so you are in good company!

rb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven