SoCal Tear Drop Owners! Post up!

Looking at solar setups. Is the Renogy 100W or a new Goal Zero 100W suitcase a better way to go?

Is it a better way compared to what? What are you trying to power with it?

A solar-in-a-box setup is the lowest common denominator for what it does. It does a good job, but a well engineered system for your specific use will always be better.

It's not as good as a multiple AGM battery system with a dedicated solar controller and panels if you are only powering 12v equipment or have high draw equipment. Most of these boxes are li-ion based, which is good for weight, but then you can't share the same battery with the tow vehicle for extra parts. Lithium batteries also have trouble in extreme temperatures, where AGM is more resilient. The batteries are also 10x the cost for the same watt/hour ratings.

That being said, a "all in one" system is good for not having to engineer your own system. It's easier to source, easier to install, and requires less math. You can also upgrade the entire thing at once when technology improves. It's also much cheaper.

Personally, I went with a system where the trailer has the same batteries as my tow jeep, so I'm still good if a battery decides to die whole I'm in the middle of nowhere.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Just go back from out 3rd trip and 11 nights so far. Has been great. Cant recommend the pneumatic front wheel/tire combo "upgrade" . Even with 80psi it still always looks about half flat. At 30psi as stated on the tire it is useless for rolling around, as it is flat. Everything else has been super. But I will be finding a different lift/wheel set up. And I am so glad I opted for the locking storage cage and box on the tongue. The cage is great for keeping our camp mats, stabilizers, wood, dirty shoes etc in. And battery and hitch stuff goes in the box.

Lucky j

Explorer
Just go back from out 3rd trip and 11 nights so far. Has been great. Cant recommend the pneumatic front wheel/tire combo "upgrade" . Even with 80psi it still always looks about half flat. At 30psi as stated on the tire it is useless for rolling around, as it is flat. Everything else has been super. But I will be finding a different lift/wheel set up. And I am so glad I opted for the locking storage cage and box on the tongue. The cage is great for keeping our camp mats, stabilizers, wood, dirty shoes etc in. And battery and hitch stuff goes in the box.

Just by curiosity, how heavy is the front of your trailer at the hitch??

4runnerteq

Explorer
Just by curiosity, how heavy is the front of your trailer at the hitch??

Not sure. The locking cage and tongue box are there. There is a group 34 battery and mount in the tongue box. And I keep the coupler in there. I cant see it being terribly heavy

No Ma

Wonderer
Is it easy to lift by your self? Can you even lift it fro the ground w/o the jack?

Just received our new 510xs last week from Upland. We have the locking storage cage and battery box with a group 31 battery and associated shore charger + solar charger and battery monitor. I'm 6'1", 165lbs and can lift the tongue of the trailer off the ground (trailer dry, just a few pounds of stuff in the storage cage). I really couldn't move it around very far this way, but that's more due to the overall weight. For moving the trailer around when it's off the Jeep, I use a trailer dolly. Makes it pretty easy, but it is on the heavy side.

The pnuematic front tire works okay for me to move the trailer around with 45-50lbs in it. I don't leave it on that alone though. I put one of the stabilizer jacks on the opposite side of the tongue and put the weight on that. Worked great last weekend up in the mountains.

Lucky j

Explorer
That is why I womder how heavy it is. At 80 psi, that tire should be hard as rock. Maybe in his case the weight is from stuff inside the TD. But it can not be that heavy from the factory.

But it is only assumption.

Doug E

Observer
Continental Divide, Clear Creek, CO

Quick 3-day trip:

IMG_6131_Fotor Kitchen.jpg
Friday night's camp site at 11,500 ft elevation

IMG_6192_Fotor camp w background.jpg
Saturday - We moved a dozen or so miles and climbed another 500 ft. No campers, no hikers, not even tire tracks on the rutted, boulder strewn thing that passed for a forest service road to get here.

IMG_6281_Fotor 4th river xing.jpg
Fourth and final stream crossing of trip

IMG_6084_Fotor Rainbow.jpg
Yes, Ellie. That's a Rainbow with a pot of gold, or at least a Voyager Adventure, at the end.

Last edited:

kayak4r

My New Teardrop!

Wanderlust Overland built a really nice trailer for us! Super excited how it turned out. I didn't get any progress pictures during the build and must say I was speechless when I saw it for the first time. Michael did a great job with our build and you can see the quality and detail in his work! A couple pictures from our first camping spot on the way home from picking it up at his Shop in Oregon.

Attachments

• IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Truck1.jpg
    Truck1.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 61

jamonsote

Amateur Adventurist
Spent some time in Yellowstone with HOTPOKT. First extended trip in it and love this thing. I did come up with a couple more upgrades I gotta work on.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 69

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues