Sounds like Stellantis is on the right path.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I didnt think that modern Hemi's were all that reliable though with the MDS.
I’ve seen a lot of posts with the Hemi (5.7L and 6.4L) getting well past the 100,000 mile point. To be brutally honest, I will never own a vehicle as a daily driver or tow vehicle with over 100,000 miles. I don’t care who the manufacturer is, at 100,000 miles the vehicle goes away.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'm no expert in any of this but what I simply do not get is why even try to market a half ton, or any consumer truck, to pull 14k? Just makes no sense. 99% of half ton buyers are never going to tow more than half that. Anyone who wants to tow that is never going to buy a truck that small.
It would be darn near impossible to tow 14k- would require all the stars to perfectly align. If you had 10% tongue weight that 1400 lbs, I guess that leaves room for the driver only before you max the payload.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I’ve seen a lot of posts with the Hemi (5.7L and 6.4L) getting well past the 100,000 mile point. To be brutally honest, I will never own a vehicle as a daily driver or tow vehicle with over 100,000 miles. I don’t care who the manufacturer is, at 100,000 miles the vehicle goes away.
You’ve been buying the wrong manufacturer then..😆. Kidding aside my neighbor has a used truck dealership, specifically late model work trucks, he isn’t a brand specific guy and he says the hemi is not a long lasting motor on average he’d never keep one over 100k.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
You’ve been buying the wrong manufacturer then..😆. Kidding aside my neighbor has a used truck dealership, specifically late model work trucks, he isn’t a brand specific guy and he says the hemi is not a long lasting motor on average he’d never keep one over 100k.
I’ve owned a lot of Ram (Dodge) vehicles as my daily driver. The most miles I put on any of them was 60,000 before trading them in. My wife had a 2004 Honda Accord that we put 60,000 miles on before replacing it with a 2009 Honda Pilot that we put 80,000 miles on. She currently drives a 2019 Colorado ZR2 with around 24,000 miles on it.

So in short- I don’t care what the brand is. Anything close to 100,000 miles goes away.

I might actually make it to 100,000 miles on my TRX. I just don’t know what I’d replace it with? 700hp as a daily driver is a freaking blast!

rruff

Explorer
It would be darn near impossible to tow 14k- would require all the stars to perfectly align. If you had 10% tongue weight that 1400 lbs, I guess that leaves room for the driver only before you max the payload.
They are also claiming 2625 lb payload, so that doesn't sound like a 1/2 ton either...

When I was looking at Tundras in 2016, the used ones with 100k miles were all at least 2/3 the price of new. No point in buy used with that pricing. I don't care if it's trouble free to 250k, I'm not giving up the first 100k miles for only 1/3 off!

85_Ranger4x4

100k is nothing anymore.

Heck, my current DD had 106k on it when I got it lol... about half as many miles as the 20yo truck it replaced. Even with my work discount... I am not buying a new one.

Kinda sad, by the time I circle back around to be on the market again an average half ton will probably be pushing $100k. Screw that.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
My FIL’s ram 2500 Cummins has a payload of about 2200, my gas 2500 chev is about 2800.

I have a hard time believing this thing has a payload of 2600.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
I’ve owned a lot of Ram (Dodge) vehicles as my daily driver. The most miles I put on any of them was 60,000 before trading them in. My wife had a 2004 Honda Accord that we put 60,000 miles on before replacing it with a 2009 Honda Pilot that we put 80,000 miles on. She currently drives a 2019 Colorado ZR2 with around 24,000 miles on it.

So in short- I don’t care what the brand is. Anything close to 100,000 miles goes away.

I might actually make it to 100,000 miles on my TRX. I just don’t know what I’d replace it with? 700hp as a daily driver is a freaking blast!

I have been around properly taken care of vehicles that are still running at well over 400000 miles, my DD big block suburban has 175000+ and I wouldn't be afraid to drive it to the arctic circle tomorrow, take care of your vehicles and they usually take care of you

85_Ranger4x4

Its 8 lug axles so if they give it a 10000 lb gvw then it would weigh 7400 lbs and have that much

They upped the axles in the wrangler 4xe to deal with the extra torque, same as a Rubicon. I suspect something similar here.

The old Mega cab 1500's were 8 lug too for more gvw.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Exactly. You can have a turbo 6 cylinder with its set of problems or a V8 with cylinder deactivation with an entirely different set of problems. It doesnt really seem to matter. Although I will say that ford seems to have ironed out most of the kinks in the Ecoboosts but I think the rest of the truck is questionable the last few years with build quality issues.

I am on a few 3.0 Duramax groups and the amount of people who have had 5.3L or 6.2L V8 motors blow up on them and switched to the Duramax for reliability is astonishing. One guy posted the other day because he had not one, but three 6.2L's crap out in the same truck and finally threw in the towel and bought a ZR2 with the 3.0.
Yep. Every vehicle regardless of make or model mostly like will have issues. Buy what ever suits you that you like and enjoy. Maybe buy an extended warranty.

rruff

Explorer
Its 8 lug axles so if they give it a 10000 lb gvw then it would weigh 7400 lbs and have that much
Right, but that ain't 1/2 ton specs... that's 3/4 at least.

This sounds to me a like heavy duty towing rig... a diesel replacement. It's going to be heavy, and it's going to be expensive. No way in hell will this be a "standard" drivetrain.

It's designed for people who A) want electric most of the time for short trips, but B) also want to tow heavy and have a long range. Ideally this would be good for someone who tows and hauls locally and long distance regularly. The characteristics of diesel with some electric fuel savings? Otherwise just run a diesel... and I kinda think the target market would favor sticking with the diesel.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Right, but that ain't 1/2 ton specs... that's 3/4 at least.

This sounds to me a like heavy duty towing rig... a diesel replacement. It's going to be heavy, and it's going to be expensive. No way in hell will this be a "standard" drivetrain.

It's designed for people who A) want electric most of the time for short trips, but B) also want to tow heavy and have a long range. Ideally this would be good for someone who tows and hauls locally and long distance regularly. The characteristics of diesel with some electric fuel savings? Otherwise just run a diesel... and I kinda think the target market would favor sticking with the diesel.

Diesels don't like short trips and are becoming more and more expensive to buy and maintain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333