Spare tires on the van

scotter

Observer
I have decided on purchasing 2 spares for the van and am trying to figure out where to mount them. One on the back would be easy but two do not fit side by side The tires are 37's and stacking them is not an option - my van already has like 40" behind the the rear axle (Dodge maxi-wagon). Even one spare back there is iffy. I could certainly put one on the roof and fab a boom into the rack I'm working on, two would probably be a bit much and eliminate storage space. eventually I would like at least one RTT up there someday possibly two RTT's. I do not like the idea of a front mount because of cooling efficiancy and interferance with the winch. Inside is an option but would eat up convient storage space real fast. I know there is not a perfect solution and compromise is in order.

Is anyone toting around two spares? Where do you have them mounted?

Also any preferences for spare locations in general - single or dual. I have always hated undermounts myself, and interior mounts always seem the most inconvient when needed. Hopefully I only have to get to them when rotating tires

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Do you really plan on taking the Dodge to places where 2 spares would be justified? I've seen Safety Seal tire repair kits used nearly 30 in a line to patch and hold a tire gash in the sidewall. Personally I think its a lot of extra weight and space taken that would be better used for other equipment. Having a durable tire, a Safety Seal kit with extra stock inside, and a good onboard air system can typically get you out of where you are with a single spare. Because you're not looking at a high speed blowout where the tire is likely to shred to pieces on the trail, most trail damage can be fixed as outlined above. If you run beadlocks, then Safety Seal also makes an internal sealer that can be brushed on over/around the repair plugs from the inside to make it a more durable and safe fix till you get back to civilization (beadlocks being the key to easy application of this fix in the field). My plan is to do a single spare off the rear bumper on a swing out. Undermount will be a water tank & air tank. Above in the rack will be overflow camping supplies if needed, more likely to be an overkill light mount!

scotter

Observer
Well hopefully I will never need two spares although I have on one ocassion in the past. Having it stored on the van seams to makes sense. I will have to look into the Safey Seal stuff. My tires are directional so the second spare makes for easy rotations however it may just wind up in the back of the garage (real good place for a spare huh).

I do not plan to take the Dodge trekking accross the Andes but I would like to do some extended cross country / off pavement trips as well as some nice steep rocky trails. Exploring old mining roads and passes and that sort of thing, perhaps a few desert runs as well. Otherwise just camping, hunting, and such.

I plan on having air-extra fuel-batteries-and grey water under the van. Clean water will be built in under a seat.

My rack will definately be an over glorified light bar but I will need to use it for gear. I still need to maintain comfortable seating for 7 people in the van

GaryMc

Explorer
More on spares.... Has anyone had any experience with these...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Spare-Tire-Carrier-TF100-SURCO/dp/B000CAIEC4"]Amazon.com: Spare Tire Carrier - Ford Van | TF100 by SURCO: Automotive[/ame]

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
I once put 2 tires on my spare tire Carrier when On a trip to the Tip of Baja and Back. I did wind up needing both spares once when far away from help, and glad I drug the extra tire.

One of the hinge Pins on the Door broke that trip. But after an army checkpoint when the guys removed the extra support strap I used to hold the second tire up and take some stress off the door/ carrier, and I did not double check their work.

If you are worried about the departure angle, just mount the second tire up higher on the first, and beef up the tire carrier appropriately, and maybe run a support strap upto the roof rack or gutter. Rear windows are overrated anyway.

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
Is anyone toting around two spares? Where do you have them mounted?

I carry two. but only one is fullsize 34" mounted on the roof rack, the other is the stock spare mound in stock location, under the van. Figure I only need one and in the desperate event that I need two, I can get by with a stock spare.

But if you are not worried about height, why not mount them vertically on the roof rack. That way they don't take up any more storage room that 1 mounted flat.

GaryMc

Explorer
I had one on my old van, tire size was a 285. Not the best way to mount, but ok for a stock tire size/low weight.

I'd much prefer to mount it on an Aluminess bumper or other swing-out carrier, but cash is tight for a bit. The aftermarket receiver hitch will not allow me to put the spare underneath the van. Also, the spare is a 285/75/16.
One more thing, I hesitate to put it on the roof as I really don't want aggravate gravity...

1sweetvan

Adventurer
FWIW:

My van has a 12,000# Curtis hitch and I mounted a 265/75 16 in the stock location without a problem and it seems to me that there is room for at least a 285/75 16 under there.

Also, 2 - 37" tires are only 74" side by side. Isn't a van almost 80" wide? Why could you not mount them to a rack on the rear bumper?

Mashurst

Adventurer
I second the thought of getting your self set up with the tools and know how to fix a bad flat, for a lot less space and weight and a better chance of sustaining multiple flats.
I use and recommend the following:
http://www.extremeoutback.com/product/36/Tyrepliers+Beadbreaker.html
This think make popping the bead Amazingly easy.

http://www.extremeoutback.com/product/38/Deluxe+Tire+Iron+23"+Long.html
One deluxe is all you need but it helps a ton.

http://www.extremeoutback.com/product/37/Standard+Tire+Iron+23"+Long.html
One of these to work with the deluxe

I pieced together my own kit but these have almost everything I carry and more http://www.extremeoutback.com/product/27/Ultimate+Puncture+Repair+Kit.html
I don't like to use plugs as I have found they can damage the tires belts.
I also carry a tube as these are easy to patch and can be used in a pinch inside a tire to make it hold air even if the side is ripped out and sewn back together with wire or cord. You will also need a solid compressor and a spray bottle of soap water (straight dish soap will work). A small bucket is also nice to work the wheel over especially for setting the bead.

Having these tools would also allow you to carry and extra tire if you really felt you needed it, without the weight and bulk of the extra wheel so for your inside mount you could fill the tire with other gear.

On the other hand, with the gear listed I have a hard time thinking of a scenario where one spare would not get you home.

Food for thought.

ExpoMike

Why couldn't you do dual swing outs and stagger the tire heights. Place one low and the other side high so the tires "overlap". I made a very rough drawing of what I am thinking. Don't laugh too hard. :elkgrin:

Attachments

• spareidea.JPG
    spareidea.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 5

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
In all the world travels you see it is only in the most remote areas of Africa or the Simpson in Australia where you see the need for 2 spare tires.

If you are traveling in North America and really trash one of your tires then it is very easy to take a day or 1/2 day off the trail and visit some town to get something that will last the rest of the trip.

However I would be surprised if that was needed. Like others have said, a killer kit like the Extreme Outback one matched up with their on board air gives you everything you need to cover even a major sidewall gash. I have practiced sewing and patching a tire as part of the Overland Training course and it was worth the effort to ease my mind.

I also think it is just as important to air down, watch your line and drive to protect your tires in the first place.

However if you really really want 2 spares then just take a second tire (will you really need a spare wheel also) as this will save wgt.

Keep us posted on what you end up with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC