Spearfishing

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Fun to see this thread alive.

My gun has a 15' range, three 120 lb bands and a break away system. I bought the size of gun I have to support most blue water hunting, which is the most thrilling you can get. Think jumping into the big blue miles off shore, chum the water and wait on a drag line for something interesting to come along.

The best asset is breath holding, which can be improved with exercises. Over a minute freediving is getting into the right range, some can go for well over three minutes.

Florida has good hunting off the Keys and plenty of sharks too. The Pacific near San Diego and the pinnacles are prolific hunting grounds. Baja is heavily fished but beautiful.

Yes those damn sharks! Seems like we are always in the news for that. But to be honest I see them occasionally maybe because they dont want to be seen! We have only had a problem once or twice mainly eating the fish on the way up but like I say and you will agree better to eat the fish than me. We also depending on the area carry a spear gun tipped with a bangstick 45cal "nasty surprise" though weve never had to use it. The biggest thing we shot would be about a 110lb Grouper OMG I thought it would never make it into the boat much less live throught the ordeal. Chaulk one up for my mom on that one. We have more run ins with baracuda than sharks. The only time I haveacctually been "scared" was when we were diving a wreck in the keys 60' from the top of the ship to 125' sea floor. We got in the water and on the way down spotted two enormous Jew Fish "pc term (goliath grouper). I'm not one to tell fish stories but they looked to be the size of our Chevy Suburban, I dont doubt it could eat a diver whole!!
http://www.fishing-boating.com/articles/gamefish/jewfish.htm
Ok so after the 25% magnification we are lookingmaybe the size of a 4Runner, hmm I ride in my truck so yeah eat a diver. :)

Aaron

Scott Brady

Founder
Jewfish_opt.jpg

They released the Goliath, caught with tackle. The Jewfish is illegal for harvest.

ZooJunkie

Explorer
That's a big fish. I remember seeing those as a younger kid on National Geographics.

How deep will a minute of free diving get you?

Skillet

Adventurer
ZooJunkie said:
How deep will a minute of free diving get you?

Not much depth, and the more energy you expend, the less bottom time you have, i.e. looking for abalone in all the cracks and crevasses or chasing a big croaker around.

I have dove for abalone in 50' but that is rare, usually around 20'-25'.

Personal best is 70', sat on the sand for about 15 / 20 seconds and headed up, once I started to realize my terrestrial existence. ;)

bjordnolf

Observer
My brother Teets on the forum and I both freedive spearfish with polespears and guns I actually hand built a few spearguns which turned out great. We should do an Expedition Portal spearfishing expedition down in central america or somewhere some time.
thanks
:REOutArchery02:

euro.love

Adventurer
Just found this thread. I just got all my equipment, minus the gun the past summer. Its really hard but def worth the work. The pictures is of my old boss who got me into it. He is ranked somewhere in the top ten in the world. Hes freakin nuts, he just got back last week from Panama to fish. I have sliced up a 56lb Striper that he shot once. That was a big fish.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And a pic of what else was in the waters they fish in. SCREW THAT!!
attachment.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater