Special Edition Disco?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
There's a guy right near my house in Tigard OR with one of those... I was wondering what the XD signified. Now I know eh. I like the hood blackout, but IMO the black wheels are awful (and I LOVE black rims usualy) as is the overdone decal kits on some of these examples. Were they all 5spds??? It's amazing how a manual tranny can make up for an underpowered motor, I'd like to drive a manual DI/II (were there manual N.American DII's???) So many questions HAHAHAHAHA

Cheers

Dave

pangaea

Adventurer
There's a guy right near my house in Tigard OR with one of those... I was wondering what the XD signified. Now I know eh. I like the hood blackout, but IMO the black wheels are awful (and I LOVE black rims usualy) as is the overdone decal kits on some of these examples. Were they all 5spds??? It's amazing how a manual tranny can make up for an underpowered motor, I'd like to drive a manual DI/II (were there manual N.American DII's???) So many questions HAHAHAHAHA

Cheers

Dave

All of the 97 XDs were autos.

There were a handful of them made in 96 for the EcoChallenge (28, I think) and TReK (10). I know the TReK vehicles were manual, and I think, the EcoChallenge ones were too, but I might be wrong about that.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
All of the 97 XDs were autos.

There were a handful of them made in 96 for the EcoChallenge (28, I think) and TReK (10). I know the TReK vehicles were manual, and I think, the EcoChallenge ones were too, but I might be wrong about that.
Thanks for the info mate. Bummer about the slush-boxes, underpowered trucks (like mine) really shine with a manual tranny. I'm still really interested in wheeling a 5spd Disco to see how it feels. THe Auto's I've driven just didn't feel like they were going to survive very long under hard use eh. Course I have no direct experience with any failures but I'm warry of Auto's to begin with after all the failures I experenced in Australia with the Patrol's Auto (many a night spent trying to "bush fix" an auto trannny left me with a sour taste in my mouth, espescialy when my HZJ75 Ute was doing so well. -Nothing like fixing someone else's truck for them eh :rolleyes: )

Cheers

Dave

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Thanks for the info mate. Bummer about the slush-boxes, underpowered trucks (like mine) really shine with a manual tranny. I'm still really interested in wheeling a 5spd Disco to see how it feels. THe Auto's I've driven just didn't feel like they were going to survive very long under hard use eh. Course I have no direct experience with any failures but I'm warry of Auto's to begin with after all the failures I experenced in Australia with the Patrol's Auto (many a night spent trying to "bush fix" an auto trannny left me with a sour taste in my mouth, espescialy when my HZJ75 Ute was doing so well. -Nothing like fixing someone else's truck for them eh :rolleyes: )

Cheers

Dave

The ZF autoboxes in the Disco are pretty stout. Of all the driveline issues with the Disco, the transmissions are probably lowest on the list. The stock Disco with 29s is definitely not underpowered, but it really needs gearing changes when larger tires are used.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm only running 31's, but with the 4.6 engine and R380, it can pull up hills at 1100rpm in 5th gear no problem. It's a pretty nice combo.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
IS the R380 a Manual tranny... I thought it was. Sorry for my LR ignorance but I don't spend alot oif time with them and have never owned one myself.

Cheers

Dave

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yup, the R380 is a manual. I'm just being cheeky because I just swapped over to the R380. I was surprised being able to pull up a maybe 6-8% grade in 5th at 1100rpm at part throttle with no lugging.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Yup, the R380 is a manual. I'm just being cheeky because I just swapped over to the R380. I was surprised being able to pull up a maybe 6-8% grade in 5th at 1100rpm at part throttle with no lugging.
Dude...that sounds AWESOME!!!!! Pulling an hill in 5th gear would never happen with my 22RE 4Runner HAHAHAHAHA hell 5th is strictly reserved for a flat-downhill surface with maybe a slight tail-wind HAHAHAHA. Good swap choice mate, I know the AUto's have their place and I'm glad to hear that they're actualy srtong units in the Disco's, but I just VASTLY prefer a manual. So much so when I go back to driving my dad's Auto XJ Cherokee it drives me nuts cause I'm constantly trying to down shift and not use the brakes so damn much eh.

Was the manual swap difficult, like did yuou have to fab a whole new peddal bucket etc??? I know they came with Manuals, but is everything there to bolt in the different pieces??? I'm REALLY anxious to drive my mate's new White 5spd Disco (not sure what year it is) I think thart would really change the driving feel of them alot to me. They sure are growing on me. I don't think any of us could watch the Camel Trophy Vids and NOT love the Disco...

THanks for the Info mate. I love this place, it's really helping expand my knowledge of ROvers and other sweet trucks I'm not TOO familliar with.

Cheers

DAve

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
No, it was relatively easy. Everything is factory, even the pedal buckets. It's really not that much harder at all than a regular auto trans removal, and replacement of a 5 speed. The only thing I had to fabricate was the clutch lines and reworked the center console for the new shifter hole. Also made the shift knob because I wanted to. Everything else is bolts, and it all fits like it was meant to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk