Springbar VS. Oz tents

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
http://www.campmor.com/heater-porta...html?source=CI&ci_sku=81338&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

The Mr. Heater portable Buddy heaters are approved for use inside enclosed spaces, so I wouldn't worry about it for use inside of the Springbar tent. I've been wanting one of these myself and have even thought about using it to heat our guest house (but using a larger propane tank).

With your thought of a wood stove, I would worry about cutting into an expensive tent and breaking up the integrity of the unit, not to mention the additional setup time such a contraption would take. Then, your original concerns of setup time would really be legitimate.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I have done both let it run all night kinda like a catalytic heater element ? not sure what the CORRECT term is :)
but in both our canvas RTT setup and our current one which does have roof vents ? with our RTT I always left a 6-10 inch open in the one upper window just so moisture etc.. can escape easier ? even though canvas is so so nice :) I love canvas tents :)

and other times just turn it on when I get up no pilot light since it has ignition thing :)

but again lots of folks not comfy with them on all night and lots of folks just fine we never had issues others also no issues since they have a low oxygen cut off IMHO tents breathe enough anyway ? or leave the one door part a crack open with some net showing :)
I think those concerned are concerned without any reason ? not mean about it :) just I was leary till I had one used it a bunch
heck back in the 70s 80s I used some coleman dome thing we would saturate with white gas light let it get glowy and would run on white gas all night long ;) hahahahah

downside for me with a wood burning is burn bans ? sparks and then you have something that is insane hot when you want to go for a morning walk turn the heater off and its off cool within a minute or so ? your stove will stay hot long time

again if its not to cold its more to take the getting read cold away we have good bags but we get up and its nice to get dressed etc.. in warm tent :) and again our dog gets shivers at anything under 40 :)

I love the ones adventure trailer sells that is forced air also but they are $$$ but sure are nice

the buddy heaters are made for this kinda thing in a cabin in a tent etc...
not sure how many here use them but seems quite a few ?

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the good info guys. I think you're right, cutting a hole in the tent would suck, and set up time would definitely be longer. I never thought about the cool down time for a wood burner, but I can just imagine trying to pack up with a stove that's still hot, then there's the issue of ashes and cleaning them out.

You're really making feel a lot better about a Mr. heater. Sure sounds like a lot of people use them inside. I found a Zodi on Ebay and put a bid in on it, let's see how that goes, but I'm thinking that I might be an owner of a Mr. Heater in the not to distant future. I think were gonna head up to the South Sierra, Troy Meadows area for a quick get away next week.

So Honu, do you stuff all of that gear in that FJ?, I'd like to take mine (excuse me, my wife's FJ) camping, but I don't see it happening with my current configuration.

http://www.campmor.com/heater-porta...html?source=CI&ci_sku=81338&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

The Mr. Heater portable Buddy heaters are approved for use inside enclosed spaces, so I wouldn't worry about it for use inside of the Springbar tent. I've been wanting one of these myself and have even thought about using it to heat our guest house (but using a larger propane tank).

With your thought of a wood stove, I would worry about cutting into an expensive tent and breaking up the integrity of the unit, not to mention the additional setup time such a contraption would take. Then, your original concerns of setup time would really be legitimate.

I have done both let it run all night kinda like a catalytic heater element ? not sure what the CORRECT term is :)
but in both our canvas RTT setup and our current one which does have roof vents ? with our RTT I always left a 6-10 inch open in the one upper window just so moisture etc.. can escape easier ? even though canvas is so so nice :) I love canvas tents :)

and other times just turn it on when I get up no pilot light since it has ignition thing :)

but again lots of folks not comfy with them on all night and lots of folks just fine we never had issues others also no issues since they have a low oxygen cut off IMHO tents breathe enough anyway ? or leave the one door part a crack open with some net showing :)
I think those concerned are concerned without any reason ? not mean about it :) just I was leary till I had one used it a bunch
heck back in the 70s 80s I used some coleman dome thing we would saturate with white gas light let it get glowy and would run on white gas all night long ;) hahahahah

downside for me with a wood burning is burn bans ? sparks and then you have something that is insane hot when you want to go for a morning walk turn the heater off and its off cool within a minute or so ? your stove will stay hot long time

again if its not to cold its more to take the getting read cold away we have good bags but we get up and its nice to get dressed etc.. in warm tent :) and again our dog gets shivers at anything under 40 :)

I love the ones adventure trailer sells that is forced air also but they are $$$ but sure are nice

the buddy heaters are made for this kinda thing in a cabin in a tent etc...
not sure how many here use them but seems quite a few ?

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah stuff it inside and on the rack and we also have a little rack we shove in the hitch to carry a few extra things :)

I might be selling the FJ and getting something larger ? family of 4 the dog and all that gear in a FJ is TIGHT !!!!!

also in another thread I am trying to get smaller gear like the Helinox chairs over regular chairs saves a ton of space and weight where 4 helinox fit in the space of one normal chair :)

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
I love my wife's FJ. Driving around town or on the trails, it's great, so much more maneuverable. I have to give a blood oath to her though, so that she'll let me take it out on the trail. I can't say as I blame her, the desert pin-striping on my truck is just awesome. I'd be dead if I did that to her little baby.
I was contemplating selling the Silverado and getting a double cab Tacoma, but I think I'm gonna keep her. She's been great all these years, takes me just about anywhere that I want to go and I can fit everything in her that I need to, 2 kids (kinda), ones off to college/job this year, so his days of being able to hang with the family are all but done, the wife and a couple dogs. Oh, and did I mention it's paid off. Sounds like were in the same boat though, I'd have to take my backpacking gear if the FJ was the main rig.
yeah stuff it inside and on the rack and we also have a little rack we shove in the hitch to carry a few extra things :)

I might be selling the FJ and getting something larger ? family of 4 the dog and all that gear in a FJ is TIGHT !!!!!

also in another thread I am trying to get smaller gear like the Helinox chairs over regular chairs saves a ton of space and weight where 4 helinox fit in the space of one normal chair :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
my kids are 4 and 9
now we want to get into Kayaking and I tend to luxury camp :) but I like that style of camping and finding I can do it if I get nicer smaller gear even with a big rig I will like packing less weight etc..

can say I use every inch of our gobi rack though !

looking at a GX470 great combination daily drive size or the LX470 downside gas mileage and not much more space than the GX ? or sequoia MASSIVE space and not so good off road ?
kinda looking in that order :)

if I had no kids I would take the seats out of the FJ and have the killer rig :) love the thing just tough with the kids and dog and the kids want their own windows and doors now and no aircon in the back and in PHX that is HUGE !

they do grow up quick :)

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
They grow up way to fast. I've still got my little girl, she'll be turning 7 next month and my son's gonna turn 18 next month. Man the time fly's take them out as much as you can now. I wish I had five more years with my boy.

Seems there is no "perfect" rig, just the best set of compromises. I'm glad my wife liked the FJ so much, now we have one big and one small. If only I was allowed to use the small:sombrero:
my kids are 4 and 9
now we want to get into Kayaking and I tend to luxury camp :) but I like that style of camping and finding I can do it if I get nicer smaller gear even with a big rig I will like packing less weight etc..

can say I use every inch of our gobi rack though !

looking at a GX470 great combination daily drive size or the LX470 downside gas mileage and not much more space than the GX ? or sequoia MASSIVE space and not so good off road ?
kinda looking in that order :)

if I had no kids I would take the seats out of the FJ and have the killer rig :) love the thing just tough with the kids and dog and the kids want their own windows and doors now and no aircon in the back and in PHX that is HUGE !

they do grow up quick :)

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Here's a few pics of my last outing in the Springbar.
View attachment 166465

Looks like a really nice campground. Which one?

Btw, the Mr. Heater works great in the tent. We do it with the Kodiak and it works awesome. I use a 2-tier steel square wire storage rack that we found at Target. I add a bottom shelf about 6" from the ground and a top shelf above the heater. This allows the heater to be off the tent floor and the top shelf prevents things from bumping into or coming into contact with the heater. The shelves detach and the poles unscrew for transit and storage. I think the shelving is 16" x 16".

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Serrano campground, on the north shore of Big Bear Lake. It's really nice and very clean. That's the second time I've been up there. We also went over Memorial day; it was packed, but the sites are decently sized so I didn't feel to cramped. It's a good place for those that have wives that aren't the roughing it type, it has bathrooms with showers. So far we've only done an over-nighter each time, seems that's about all of the days that I've been able to string together lately. I definitely recommend it though.

That Mr. Heater seems like the way to go. I've got a bid in on Ebay for a Zodi, but I wish that I hadn't placed it. The Zodi looks like it needs a battery to operate, The Mr. Heater doesn't, simple is good in my book. Thanks for the help.
Looks like a really nice campground. Which one?

Btw, the Mr. Heater works great in the tent. We do it with the Kodiak and it works awesome. I use a 2-tier steel square wire storage rack that we found at Target. I add a bottom shelf about 6" from the ground and a top shelf above the heater. This allows the heater to be off the tent floor and the top shelf prevents things from bumping into or coming into contact with the heater. The shelves detach and the poles unscrew for transit and storage. I think the shelving is 16" x 16".

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Mojavejohn, don't forget to check out Craigslist for the buddy heater. I was looking at them earlier this year and folks were selling them for $30-$50. Guys down here using them during hunting season then I guess then they dump them when seasons out. Worth looking into.

Crom, do you have a link for the target shelf. That sounds ideal.

Thanks!

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Serrano campground, on the north shore of Big Bear Lake. It's really nice and very clean. ... Thanks for the help.

Very good. Thanks. Looks like a great little campground, may have to go there, not too far for us. I have wife, toddler and a baby. We are doing a three night trip in a campground in the Sierra's in two weeks. It will be our second camping trip ever with all four of us. Hope to have fun.

Crom, do you have a link for the target shelf. That sounds ideal.
Thanks!

Sure.

This is the closest I can find at target online, but it's the rectangular variety, price is right though about $20. Walmart has the square one here but price is way off at $40.00? Dunno why. I would not pay more than $20.00 for it.

Old_FJ_Guy

Observer
Took the Pinzgauer up to Devil's lake state park in WI a couple of weeks ago. I took my Springbar family camper along. I've never owned an Oz or Kodiak but absolutely love my Springbar. Sets up in about 15 minutes, realistically by myself.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The tent measures 10' x 14' and has plenty of room for gear and to hang out with a seven year old if you have bad weather :)

No issues or problems, owned it about six years now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 33

Old_FJ_Guy

Observer
Sorry, didn't mean to attach the last Pinz pic. You had to cross a lake to get to the park and it is as close as I will get to running the Pinz on a landing craft :) cool stuff and it was free. Almost did it twice!

hoser

Explorer
I can't really compare the two since I only have an Oztent RV-5. What has been said is correct about it being a 30 second tent ONLY in no/low winds. What I do like is that you can add stakes as you feel necessary. 4 stakes for moderate winds... more stakes and tethers for higher winds. It seems to me the springbar needs almost all the ground stakes, everytime.

One other advantage I see of the Oztent is setting it up at night. It's pretty much one piece once you take it out of the bag. There are no more bags to sort nor poles to thread. It could be done without a headlamp. On a raining night, you can have it standing in a minute. Have your S.O. inside and dry setting up/changing baby's diapers while you finish staking down on the outside.

I like the fact the springbar has more "standing room" and is made in America. As mentioned, a drawback of the RV-5 Oztent is the size. And this means storing it on the roof for most. Storing it on the roof often means having to tie it down which can take extra time (unless you have a cargo box). It is also ~50lbs you have to lift over your head.

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Yeah, the Springbar realy does need most of it staked out. I tried to only do the corners before and I didn't like it.

What's that about changing diapers...UGH, I barely did that when my kids were little. But yeah, looks like you could be inside much quicker. You have to start with the pegs on the Springbar.

I've been contemplating a second smaller tent for those solo trips or putting the kids in one and me and the Mrs, in our own. I think if I do I'll get a small Oz, seems like a pretty good tent even if it's not really 30 seconds.
I can't really compare the two since I only have an Oztent RV-5. What has been said is correct about it being a 30 second tent ONLY in no/low winds. What I do like is that you can add stakes as you feel necessary. 4 stakes for moderate winds... more stakes and tethers for higher winds. It seems to me the springbar needs almost all the ground stakes, everytime.

One other advantage I see of the Oztent is setting it up at night. It's pretty much one piece once you take it out of the bag. There are no more bags to sort nor poles to thread. It could be done without a headlamp. On a raining night, you can have it standing in a minute. Have your S.O. inside and dry setting up/changing baby's diapers while you finish staking down on the outside.

I like the fact the springbar has more "standing room" and is made in America. As mentioned, a drawback of the RV-5 Oztent is the size. And this means storing it on the roof for most. Storing it on the roof often means having to tie it down which can take extra time (unless you have a cargo box). It is also ~50lbs you have to lift over your head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333