Squall Line's Frontier build

Squall Line said:
AT fuel can mounts
I finally got these mounted up. It involved drilling two more holes in the mount. I decided on this location based on minimizing bed space lost, and due to the hump on the front drivers side bed for the fuel filler. I am planning on building a box to mount the second battery under the passenger side rack.

PA030001.jpg

PA030002.jpg

I'm curious as to how exactly you mounted those in there like that...unless I missed something in the tread?

Are they just held in there with bolts on the back and side? How are the bolts mounted in the side? Are they holding up okay suspended like that with Cans and fuel in them?

I like this placement and might steal your idea depending on how they are mounted. Its about time to ditch the canopy due to the damage it received in Death Valley and I will need a better place to mount my holders.

Squall Line

Observer
Streakerfreak: they are mounted to the stock utilitrack rails using unistrut (commercial conduit mounting system) nut plates. There are two 1/4" bolts on the long rail, and one in the corner next to the toolbox. They are extremely stout; the rails are rated for a 200lb load per cleat... To test, I stood and jumped on the empty mount (160lbs) and there was no movement or cause for concern. I would have mounted them on the floor in that location, but the hump for the fuel filler prevented that. HTH

mcm4090: I am not sure yet on the weight, but it is definitely getting up there. I know it is not heavier than the front yet, which weighs 120 for the whole package... The tire carrier is going to add some mass for sure though. I guess that is the price to pay for functionality and bombproof peace of mind.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and following along!

Squall Line

Observer
Not too much in the way of progress, but I have finally closed the chapter on the bumper itself, and am working on the tire carrier. I am hoping to have a big weekend and finish it all up. I have exams in a week, and it would be good to have the truck ready for a December/ new years trip...

PB260001.jpg

bushing for swing-away and threaded insert for the gas strut

PB260003.jpg

PB260004.jpg

Eric

Squall Line

Observer
Thanks again for all of the comments.

Nick: you probably wouldn't know it, but I stopped by the shop last spring to pick up the bumper (truck looks quite a bit different now). Impressive work coming out of there!

I am hoping to have it done today or tomorrow...Here is a quick update:
PB280003.jpg

PB280005.jpg

PB290007.jpg

PB290008.jpg

PB290009.jpg

PB300010.jpg

PC020003.jpg

PC020004.jpg

Squall Line

Observer
adrenaline503 said:
Are you a DC?
No, but I work for one. I am essentially a non rate attached to the RO in town until graduation (CSPI).Do you have any affiliation?

I need to grind a few things, put on the backup light brackets, and then it is ready for paint. Here is the work from yesterday:
PC040001.jpg

PC040002.jpg

PC040003.jpg

PC040004.jpg

Squall Line

Observer
adrenaline503: maybe we'll cross paths some day. I would love to see that ute bed in person.

I am pretty much in the last stage of the bumper project. I need to let the paint dry, then get the lights wired up. Here are the pictures:

PC060001.jpg

wire-brushed and ready for paint

PC060003.jpg

in primer

PC110006.jpg

painted- cleaned up the welds with the grinder prior

PC110007.jpg

latch detail

PC110008.jpg

reinforced the plate for the latch (it was flexy)

PC110009.jpg

PC110010.jpg

backup light brackets

PC140011.jpg

in primer

PC140012.jpg

done

------

I got the pieces for the next project. I forgot to mention that I picked up a camping lab tent a few weeks back... The pieces are just sitting in place, but this will be the basic form...

PC110005.jpg

-Eric

Squall Line

Observer
I will get some pictures of it up tomorrow. Thanks for all of the support.

On a side note, I put in a huge order today from Mcmaster and Del City (my bank account is hurting :mad: )... I have a ton of hardware and electrical stuff inbound to get the rig ready for the new years trip. I am finally going to isolate that aux circuit, and install the 2nd battery. I have the hardware for the rack coming as well, and will be putting together a better solution for the highlift jack in the bed that will incorporate with the rack.

Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach