SR locker, looking for advice

Mephisto

I'm heading down to Portland next week and I'm thinking I should pick up a locker from an SR while I'm down there, since we never got Monteros of that generation up in the great white north. Guessing I should just call up some of the wreckers down there ahead of time, but I wanted to ask you guys what's an average price for a third member and axle shaft from an SR should cost? If there are any locals around that area that want to check out a shorty diesel Pajero and maybe help me find a locker that would be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions to make my search easier would be appreciated.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Check car-part.com
if you can, buying and installing the whole axle may be easier than swapping third members assuming you have help.

Mephisto

I'm not bringing a trailer and we are camping/exploring on the way down and back up, so no room for an entire axle and camping gear in a shorty Paj. I've pulled the axle shafts and third member before, so no biggie there.

scrubber3

Not really here
Be sure to get the gearing to match your front. Also, get the air pump which is under the right rear seat. You can also get the locker ecm and switch is you want to use them. I just used a switch from radio shack and wired it straight.

Mephisto

So I got a locker when I was down south, threw it in a few days ago and finally got the air lines all set up today. Seems to work perfectly, tomorrow I'll put it through it's paces just to make sure. Driving around is strange now that I don't have an LSD, I kinda liked drifting around corners, now I just spin one tire :( I'm sure the locker will more than compensate for that loss when I'm wheelin though!!! I did the regulator and solenoid approach for my install since I already have onboard air and space is at a premium in the shorty, I made a little bracket to mount them in behind the rear side panel in the unused space above the rear wheelwell. Sorry I didn't take any pics, I'll try to remember to take one tomorrow.

GrassCat

Adventurer
So I got a locker when I was down south, threw it in a few days ago and finally got the air lines all set up today. Seems to work perfectly, tomorrow I'll put it through it's paces just to make sure. Driving around is strange now that I don't have an LSD, I kinda liked drifting around corners, now I just spin one tire :( I'm sure the locker will more than compensate for that loss when I'm wheelin though!!! I did the regulator and solenoid approach for my install since I already have onboard air and space is at a premium in the shorty, I made a little bracket to mount them in behind the rear side panel in the unused space above the rear wheelwell. Sorry I didn't take any pics, I'll try to remember to take one tomorrow.

You are only using three pounds of air, right? Any more and you'll blow the locker.

scrubber3

Not really here
Yeah, the diaphragm can only handle up to 5 psi maybe 6 max. You can actually engage the locker by blowing into the air line.... Done it. Lol

Mephisto

I turned the regulator all the way down and then turned it up until the locker engaged, so I'm sure I'm fine. Yes it does drift nicely with the locker engaged, lol, but that just means I have to plan ahead and switch the locker on first. Huge difference wheeling with the locker on. Here is the regulator and the switch, mounted beside the rear seat. The side panel is obviously off in the picture. The second pic is me testing the locker out trying to get through a wash out on an old decommissioned logging road, the road goes to this amazing lake surrounded by glaciers. It's a two hour hike normally and I think I can drive there with a little more trail work. Quads have made it, but I'm a little bigger than a quad, I know my LJ80 would make it, but thats really just a licensed quad, lol.photo(1).JPGphoto.JPG

Mephisto

Haha, true, and even if a quad is less than 800cc it would still have more power. I had free access to a dyno when I first got it and I wanted to see what it made, ready to be astounded??? It made a whopping 26.2 HP and 34 ft/lbs, I know the engine was tired, but it was only supposed to be 40HP at the crank to begin with, lol. Suzuki's very first production four-stroke engine. I have a 1.6 diesel to put in, I just need to get some spare time and money to do the whole project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3