Start of my EXPO shell build

SicNick

Observer
Newcomer here, just beggining my EXPO shell build.

I have a 1984 Chevy K30 Crew cab that I just got done swapping a 12v Cummins turbo Diesel into. :smiley_drive:

I've been wanting to build a shell capable of transforming my truck into a nice camping rig for weekend trips around the western US. My girlfriend and I are avid travellers and college students who throughly enjoy the sights and experiences of traveling around these great states.

Anyway I picked up a nice utility camper shell yesterday and Im looking forward to hearing some ideas of how to make it more useful and comfortable as an expedition rig. It has opposing gull wing doors on the driver and passenger sides and dual entry doors in the rear. Also there is a very strong rack on top for additional storage and light mounting possibilities:bike_rider:

However I use this truck for work and I'd like all componets to be easily remove and replaceable.

My idea basically revolves around a fancy , very practical bed kit. Simliar to a carpet kit but with more neat features. Let's hear about compact catalytic heaters, roof vents, etc. Im sure there are tons of great opinions and ideas already floating around this site, some awesome builds are in progress!:drool:

First things first, what is the easiest/most cost effective way to convert the solid front window to a slider to match the one on the back of my truck cab, and then, the best way to seal it from the elements when both windows are open?

TIA Gentlemen, I look forward to being a helpful and active member on this great site!:sombrero:

IMG_5710.jpg

IMG_5711.jpg

IMG_5712.jpg

IMG_5713.jpg

chasespeed

Explorer
the best way to seal it from the elements when both windows are open?

You know, there are "boots" somewhere just for that purpose.... what I did with my last pick-up that had a shell, and interior was a TUBE for a tire.. dont remember which size(mountain bike IIRC)...filled it up form inside, with the air...and it provided a pretty good seal...and they are easy to put in and replace... so, keeping a few on hand incase you rupture one, is easy and cheap.

As far as the slider... you need to get one that fits that shell...

Funny, current truck has a solid window, and the shell I picked up, has a slider...

Chase

SicNick

Observer
Thanks for the tips so far, that toyota shell is pretty slick, Im thinking a little less fancy, with room to sleep, I would however like to add an inner toolbox to my driver's side hatch.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Don't let that paint job start a forest fire....:sombrero:

How do you like the Cummins? What kind of MPG are you getting with it? Stock turbo and fuel? I've been seriously considering a 4BT for my rig after the time that the International 6.9 dies (in like 40 years). Cummins rock.

Spence

KEENO

Adventurer
Welcome Sic!

Which Injector Pump is on your 12v Cummins? The Inline P7100 or the Rotary Style VE44? Regardless.... I'm still a fan of mechanical Injector Pumps while in the boonies!

KEENO:)

chasespeed

Explorer
For that big van, dont mess around... get a 6bt... I dont know if its 4wd, or not.. but, that would be a good time to change anything you want in things, maybe even set it up for a 4wd conversion(if its not already)...

Best thing to do... keep an eye out in the North somewhere... and find a 94-98 dodge, with MASSIVE body rot...

They can be had pretty cheap....

Besides, the 6bt was fitted into A LOT of platforms so.. parts are available...

The 6bt with the P-pump is nice and easy... wire the starter, and the fuel shut-off solenoid.... SIMPLE.....

I love mine, and when THIS body rots off, this is getting transplanted into a Super Duty...

Sorry for the hijack

KEENO

Adventurer
Cummins Engine Mounts?

Sic...

Quick Question: What Engine Mounts did you use for your conversion? I've heard "Factory" type mounts are available, but have never confirmed.

KEENO:)

SicNick

Observer
thanks for the compliments. Ya, the PO went all out with the paint on this truck, not my taste, but it was a flawless job, truck still feels like glass to the touch, and the paint job was 10 years ago! Any way my motor uses the ve rotary IP, which is fine since I don't plan on putting more than a reliable 350 hp and 700 ftlbs to the ground....:smiley_drive:

I used a crossmember/MM kit from avalanche engineering in CO to mount her up.

So far my motor has an Hx35w straight 3" exhaust and some pump tweaks putting down about 240/550 right now.

SicNick

Observer
oh and I get just under 18mpg all day long on the highway at 75, could probably hit 20 if I'd slow down, but the speed limit here is 75 or 80 mph.

And if you are satisfied with a 6.9's power, a 4bt will suit you well, asnit is easily capable of out performing even a turboed 6.9!

If any of you haven't yet, check out 4btswaps.com
my build thread is there in the 6bt section.

chasespeed

Explorer
nothing wrong with a VE, had one in my 91, and started a lot easier than my P-pump, and never gave me some much as a hiccup...

So, is it an I/C motor, or non?

Which trans did you put behind it?

Chase

SicNick

Observer
luckily I found a 90 that already had an nv4500 swapped in place of the rag. With an adapter to the stock np205. Yeah this motor starts incredibly no matter what.

The first night back in utah after the conversion, my grid heater wasn't wired and block heater wasn't hooked up, she fired after sitting all night at 0* after about 4 seconds of cranking. cant beat a cummins for cold starting:victory:

chasespeed

Explorer
Yeah, my grids are unplugged right now, but, I do like them for the first few minutes...But, like I said... they are un-hooked now...

And great on that trans... pretty damn stout... and.. for you, should be bullet proof... just get a nice clutch if you havent already....

NOW, get some pics of inside the back, and anything else you have done...

And, what are you doing about controlling water to the filter( I know water crossings arent a problem in UT)....

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy