Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

Eric_

this is an Awesome thread! Just stumbled upon it going through all 109 pages!! lol

I don't have a subi and was looking hard into a crosstrek but after seeing all these rigs I'm excited to test drive the forester and outback!
opinions on best off road between the 3?

jf1sf5

Observer
this is an Awesome thread! Just stumbled upon it going through all 109 pages!! lol

I don't have a subi and was looking hard into a crosstrek but after seeing all these rigs I'm excited to test drive the forester and outback!
opinions on best off road between the 3?

Forester !

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Ready for warmer weather...

IMG_20170302_2050082_zpsilkm5wrp.jpg

Itsavanman

Adventurer
How did it handle the teardrop, any overheating? Did it have electric trailer brakes?

I beat the snot out of my 12 x (2.5n/a 5mt) when its over 1500lbs your towing, you NEED brakes lol.. towing anything over 1k with no brakes is scary, you have to plan your stops very accordingly. I have king uprated springs in the back and I tow close to 3k with mine. and I have towed on a 90 degree day over some very steep back roads.. worst temp i hit was like 240.. close to not good temps, but never overheated.. and I made full use of the manual on that tow lol its been almost 2.5 years and 50k miles with my forester, only problem i've had with her is a whiny throwout bearing.. so a clutch is in order in the spring, and while the transmissions out, I do believe the trans will get a dual range conversion :D that will help with uphill loaded starts, and having to practically smoke the clutch to creep over things... big list i know.. but it will still be cheaper than buying and owning a "real" 4x4 rig... one of the only good expo shot I got of my buggy.

P1010132_zpst7mevffk.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Hopefully my 6spd will show it's worth while towing. In normal driving it still feels like too many gears, I often skip some.

fike

Adventurer
Haven't tried the new models but sounds like the XT is the way to go thanks to the CVT

The XT CVT is really good, particularly with the paddle shifters and sport mode. Compared to the CVT on the standard Forester, Crosstrek, or Outback the XT is tons better.

p nut

butter
I never use the (dumb) paddle shifters in my Outback. Essentially useless.
_
As far as off-road, I'm not sure why an XT would be any better. X-mode is the option you want, which comes on both Forester and Outback.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've been towing various rigs with my two subarus since 01. Trailer brakes start to really make a difference on the subaru at about 1600-1800lbs. Though even then trailr stability under braking conditions really matters more. Light trailers like that dont give you much braking power, but the trailer brakes help stablize a grumpy trailer. Outside temps vs headwinds or a climb watch your running temps! I beat the stuffing outa the old EJ 2.5 ran it 180,000 miles and sold it 100% healthy zero leaks. Currently running the last version of the old EJ in the 2010 OB. Cooling capacity and exhaust porting improvements in 2010 have really helped with the heat shedding.

Keep in mind the prior gen Forester was built for a few yrs on the old legacy platform heavier platform then once again moved to the lighter Impreza platform.

I have really enjoyed the Subarus, the really good and knowedgable subaru community has been really amazing finding the right fixes for things that crop up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333